1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Just what we need, another iconic brand raging on "playing authentic" ;)

a couple of years ago you could buy Rick bass kits, not sure yo can anymore...

2. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    gah beat me to it!

3. They did one similar, was called the RB 414.

Must be discontinued 4 years now. Not under any legal threats, Thomann are RIC dealers. Be crazy to rock the boat with the biggest retailer in Europe over a £200 bass.

Sales figures were poor, besides myself I only knew of 3 other owners.

4. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    The ferocity with which they pursue ebay sellers of even 2nd hand copies that dare to mention ric or rickenbacker in their listing titles suggests that they are indeed crazy.

5. while true in past years, it doesn't happen much now. They let things slide over in Australia with the Pitbull kits and made no attempts against Rockinbetter.

Funny how RIC had no qualms stealing the design and name of an aftermarket pickup mount a few month back.

6. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
  7. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Well maybe you could make your own, me not so much. Definitely lack the skillz. Electronics and setups no problem but I don't have the woodworking chops.

8. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    This is the jazz bass I made from JAG plans

IMG_20180821_190047247.

9. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    During refinishing.
    IMG_20180719_150921601.
    To be fair there is some experience with woodworking and some moderately priced tools required. But this was my very first attempt at a guitar.

Not that hard really, except for building a neck so I bought a 2nd hand neck.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  10. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Very nice. Is that a one piece body? Did you make the neck or buy it ready made? I might be able to route out a body but I could never make a neck, I've seen some scratch built basses on here where the neck was carved out by hand. I could never do that.

Edit to say cross posted. You answered my question before I could ask it.

11. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    It started out as about 12 feet of 4 inch wide meranti. It's planed, thicknessed and glued up with 5 pieces then rough cut then routed to shape.

Totally agree about necks which is why I bought one ready made.

12. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

Like this one?
    Harley Benton RB-414CS

13. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    There are kits of varying price and quality, even HB has each a PB and Jazz for very little money.

If you get a kit with good wood prep, the rest can be done easily enough, you must be patient though...

You can save some headache by doing an oil finish (I am a TRU oil guy) and get upgraded hardware that is solderless if you don't want to mess with that.

There will be little chance of escaping fret dressing though...

14. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Very few lefty kits. I bought a lefty explorer kit a while back, still haven't built it. I'm with you on the oil finishes. I'm not great at the painting either though I know someone who is, just need to find the right incentive for him. :D

15. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I make solderless control looms.
    This is one I put into a Washburn jazz bass
    IMG_20190626_131821227.

16. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I've done some paint jobs but chose to be intentionally messy (swirls and chaotic pours), my profile shows an example in the middle. I don't know if I could stand if I did a substandard paint job and couldn't fix it, lol, hence the chaos! The annoying part is the clear coat. Spraymax 2k poly is GREAT but it's $20 a can and is toxic AF if you aren't careful...

So yeah, I prefer oil unless the wood is ugly.

17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'd need plans to build better storage. I do need to finish one set of dividers in a cupboard, but I'll still be a bass and two acoustics over unless I get rid of something. This is based on using the circa 150cm tall IKEA Stuva cupboards which are just the right height and depth to get a Fender headstock four string in. A five in line headstock might be pushing it unless it's no longer by use of smaller tuners, but 4+1 or 3+2 would work. I never really gelled with fivers so not an issue for me. Plenty of space on top for rack gear or underneath for chests if drawers of cables, unless you put the cables on top and like dropping cables on your head.

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    This is the bass storage unit I made last year. Currently houses 3 HB basses, 2 Ibanez and a cheap Chinese acoustic bass. Room for one more :hyper:

IMG_20180913_171149828.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I bought two stands like that, but they lacked sufficient storage density given quantity and space, so I took three lengths of two by four, some thin plywood, and some felt and slotted the wood to take plywood baffles, covered in felt, cut to fit snugly in the Stuva. So in one Stuva I have a Strat, Telecaster, two Precisions and three Jazz basses. It's around 60cm wise. You get a lot fewer acoustics in, so the other only has a six string, twelve string, an ABG and a Les Paul in, but with the plywood dividers the Harley Benton fretless might fit in too.

The mind train likes this.
  20. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Do-it-yourself is so satisfying.

Outtaseezun likes this.