1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

I was the only bassist at the BluesHaus last night. Hence, I sat in All Night Long (all ni-ight, all ni-ight). Surprisingly, each and every set was tight and (major) failure free! There were some minor bobbles, but nothing a non-musician would notice. The audience was cheering, screaming, and dancing, and a good time was had by all.

I brought Jenny, my hot rodded Harley Benton PB Shorty, and she reminded me of why she's my go-to girl: that sweet, snarling moan when I crank her to 11, smack her bottom, and caress her neck... Mmmmm!

IMG_20190621_114105.

I'm sure she'll impress tomorrow night at The Basement, as well.

RyoCanCan, GKon, mr zee and 1 other person like this.
  2. 405BassGuy

405BassGuy

Jul 15, 2019
    U.S.A.
    I ordered my first HB on 9/18/19 and it arrived today. I am amazed that this bass plays so well for $134 USD (including shipping). The action is nice and low and the intonation was spot on right out of the box. The volume and tone controls work as they should and the tuning keys are smooth. As you can see in the photos, there is not a hole in the body under the pickguard, which is great! The bass sounds like my CIJ Fender '51 RI, which is nice and deep.

Now, in all fairness there are a few things that may be a drawback to some considering purchasing an HB. The bass weighs 10.6 pounds, but this is something that I knew prior to ordering it. The neck is a little heavy, which causes neck drop (not neck dive). Again, I was aware of this before I ordered the bass and it's easily corrected with the right strap. Some (not all) of the frets are a little rough. However, I only notice it when I run my fingers along the sides of the neck and not when I'm playing the bass. At higher levels the pickup does hum, if I remove my fingers from the strings. I believe this can be resolved, but I'll need to research further.

The bottom line is this... IMHO, I believe it will be hard to find a better instrument for the $.

HB PB-50a.JPG HB PB-50b.JPG HB PB-50c.JPG

-Asdfgh-, Joybass, JACink and 5 others like this.
  3. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Southwest Florida
    A single coil will hum regardless. It's a design problem and 60 cycle electric problem.

On another note, that's one sweet looking bass, the SB finish looks flawless.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  4. @405BassGuy

@HarveyRobertson has the right of it, single coils hum.

Sure you'll find stuff on the net telling you it's fixable,you can also find Yeti sightings/bananas are from space etc :D

That's a fine looking PB-50 and I'm glad to see the days pickup wire gouges are in the past.

5. Every Harley Benton needs a bit of TLC. Polish the frets, do a bit of shielding, tighten a screw here and there, new strings perhaps, a bit of work on the nut if needed. It all helps to bond with your HB.

6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    shielding probably helps a bit and slug tape us cheap

405BassGuy likes this.
  7. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Sweet! Looks just like mine too!
    I returned mine and got one 1lb lighter
    About the only thing i've had to do on mine is tighten the main screw of each tuner as they weren't flush with the back of the neck. Easy fix
    The other thing i noticed quite bizarrely (i think someone else mentioned this already)...the allen key that come with it is actually the wrong size for the truss rod :roflmao:
    (Personally i don't care if it doesn't come with any casecandy, most people have a set of allen keys anyway)

Is it just me but are these single coil P's a tad more aggressive than the split P...i'm not sure if it's just the new strings or the PU yet?
    It also really sings with effects

Def best cheapest bass for the $

405BassGuy and Volker Kirstein like this.
  8. The Roswell SC certainly is a lot louder than the Wilkinson split coil WPB. It is also louder than the Wilkinson SC. Don't know about the Roswell split coil, I don't have one of those.

9. How do you shield the pole pieces ? It's the pole pieces picking up mains hum that is the major factor.

Much as I disapprove of DCR readings it's the only option I have. The Roswell SC is giving me 8.3K,very close to the Wilkinson 8.6K. Standard split-Ps will run between 8.4 to 8.7. My guess is the 6mm slugs are giving the Roswell the edge here.

I've no idea about their split -Ps, the Roswell site is loaded with salesman BS. " unique Vintage Hot coil wind " my backside :laugh: They have 3 split-P pickups. 2 have DCR of 17k,both use the same materials,both share the same sales blurb yet they give one a higher output rating.

10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It's mainly through induction in wiring. Ideally you'd shield the pickups coils entirely but that's hard to do practically as you would have to do it under the cover and maintain insulation. Pragmatically shielding the pickup cavity helps without having to connect shielding on the pickups to ground too. You're talking photons (radio waves) here, and by shielding the cavities you're rejecting a lot of it, although LF will get everywhere. Often the issue with hum is grounding, though.

11. This is true. When I play my bass(es) with single coil pickups through a Vox AmPlug with my laptop connected to its AUX input they all tend to buzz and hum (a bit), especially when I don't touch the strings. When connected to a regular amp with grounded mains: no buzzing at all.

12. Ever play nylon tapes ? Touch the strings all you want and you'll still get hum. No amount of cooper tape will solve it.

If you must "wave your hand in the air,like you just don't care "

Use a noise gate.

Word Up :thumbsup:

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    if the hum goes away when you touch metal strings it's time to check grounding. And of course shielding needs to be grounded too.

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. Where would you touch metal on nylon tapes ?

15. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    My 2 cts.

Hum is shielding and or grounding. Metal tape inside you cavities and in your life connected to ground will solve it.
    Also use shielded wires when altering a bass.

My Toby bass hummed insanely after I changed the picks.
    Alu tape and replacing the wiring made it dead silent. Even with two single coils in it.

16. With a single coil the hum is caused by mains power.

You can shield the cavities,shield the pick up rout, ground every bit of metal.
    What you can't do is stop the pickup poles from tuning into the electric mains hum.
    The hum is in the air all around you. That static noise you hear from speakers,that's mains hum.

On plenty of instruments when the vol pots are even the 2 single coils act as a humbucker.

Erik Asma likes this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    you wouldn't

18. Which means there's a break in the ground and you get hum. 10 miles of cooper tape would make no difference.

It's a quirk of playing with tapes. You either live with it or don't play tapes :thumbsup:

19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    In the air is RFI. This can come from wiring acting as radiating attennae from some lights, etc., but because it is low intensity then its effect on the magnetic field of the pickups is minimal. The only real effect picked up in terms of RFI is via induction in the several thousand pick-up winds. You could pop the slugs out and still get the hum which is how some noiseless pickups work while retaining a single coil sound.

20. Just took delivery of a 28k single,no idea how many 1000s of winds. Stock 6K strat single has 8000 winds. 8.2k split P-bass averages 10,000 winds of AWG 42.

Do you see the connection ?