1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. heb9_28

heb9_28 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Can't wait to hear more about it!! Can't wait to SEE it!! :woot:

mr zee likes this.
  2. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Southwest Florida
    Come on, let's see some pictures

heb9_28 and mr zee like this.
  3. Can't go wrong for that price.
    I think you'll be suitably impressed when you can wind it up a bit at band rehearsal.

4. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Posts like this are my pr0n these days...

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    It is! My only wish is that the MM was further from the bridge.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  6. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Here she is. Since you have to remove the scratch plate and pots to take off the foil properly. I swapped out the pups for a couple of Di-Marzio the DP122 I pulled from my DIY bass. Sounds a lot better, mind it was alright, but the DM has more bottom and otherwise a nice tight sound and they are just good on a PC bass. Swapped the strings to daddario's from the spares box.
    Rubbed some pledge on the fretboard as it seems to be untreated.
    Neck is good. Feels like a normal neck to me. Not clunky, not thin.
    The tuners feel a tad creaky but work well.
    Gonna put some schallers on and probably a schaller bridge as well, they do both in black, but there is no absolute need. You can upgrade this baby all the way and it is still a steal. Won't break the 300 barrier, but you then have a bass which can rub elbows with basses costing double.

Pros.
    Looks.
    Plays great, frets are good.
    Sounds fine from the box.
    Finish.
    Price.

Cons.
    Pick-up best swapped.
    Strings are a must change.
    Tuners hold, but do feel cheap, which they are, no shame.

And the reason to order one? It's a stunner!

IMG_20191107_153249. IMG_20191107_153239.

7. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Southwest Florida
    Man she looks fantastic

Erik Asma and heb9_28 like this.
  8. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Is the pickup that bad?

9. If your ears are attuned to the mellow alnico5 pickups you'll probably find ceramics harsh.

Replacement pickups are cheap,if you stay away from name brands with their CEO expense accounts :laugh:

JACink, subdude67, Erik Asma and 2 others like this.
  10. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Ah no, I actually prefer ceramics in some cases. Plus, I can slap another magnet down there. heheh

11. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    No. It was just fine. It'll work as it is.
    I lacks a little in the bottom end, which you could easily EQ out.

It is more let's find out how far I can push this then a necessity.
    It is very good straight from the box.

This pup makes very good into outstanding.
    With a set of schaller tuners it will be ridiculous and a branded instruments nightmare.

12. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Oh found one more con.

One to look out for. That lovely black paint comes off in looking at it.
    Made another alteration as the pickguard wasn't snug on the inside and it was in my worktable. Something, little screw or something came under it and rubbed against the paint.

It scraped straight to the wood.

This is not that regular layer of polyester armour you find on most.
    This is like a tan on a redhead, gone in no time.
    It'll look roadworn quickly.

No biggie for me, I'll just respray it and add some hard clearcoat over it.

So yeah. It scuffs easy.

13. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    So more news. The extra screw hole bottom left was hanging in thin air. So I glued in a bit of wood. This is where she got knicked.

Which made me decide this. I'm gonna sand it down. I already found a nice black finish from the most professional brand around to be used on stairs. I have a feeling that will last.
    So my dear Harley Benton will go full frankenbass. As I will swap out the tuners and bridge while I'm at it. I'll glue in the neck as well. Did that in my DIY bass and it makes it a supersolid one piece affair.
    I'd figured they did it with the SG guitars for the same reason so why not?

One final note on those tuners. I put a little dab of grease on them and they don't have that grindy feel anymore. Just smear a bit on the worm and turn it a bit and wipe off the excess. Makes em way better.
    Still gonna put schaller on though.
    IMG_20191107_214330. ink

Outtaseezun, MovinTarget and Gothic like this.
  14. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Please do post pictures! I'd love to see what this lime wood looks like. Also, judging from the picture, I'm guessing the pickguard's just a w/b/w with a tort "photo" glued on. That kinda makes me sway towards the "classic" gloss black PB20, although I'm thinking a "naturally" reliced flat black would be nice as well. Decisions decisions...

Erik Asma likes this.
  15. heb9_28

heb9_28 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I think it'll be neat to have a bass that gets naturally "relic'd" quickly. Not that I'll intentionally sand it down or anything, but I'll like seeing the evidence of my having played it

Erik Asma likes this.
  16. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    @Gothic You could always put a tort pickguard on a PB20. I did that a while ago. Kept the tort guard when I gave away the bass. You could then choose light or dark tort to taste. Black hardware from china would cost very little, you might still squeeze in under the £100 or just a little over.

Erik Asma, mr zee and Gothic like this.
  17. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yeah it's certainly possible, it's just that, I'm thinking if I go about replacing the pickup with an artec or a wilkinson, replacing the pickguard etc. the total would rise to what the 74 goes for (or possibly even more), hence my dilemma.

18. @bpc

All this talk of scratchplates. There's a fella on our doorstep,well in Cambuslang :D, does just about everything.
    When I say everything,it's not far off the mark. Left handed scratchplates ?

You'll be happy to know he sells them :thumbsup: Has an ebay shop but his address in at the bottom :)

earlpilanz on eBay

bpc and Erik Asma like this.
  19. Before I went all black I had a red tort pg on mine. WP_20170116_13_21_20_Pro.

Gothic, Erik Asma, GKon and 1 other person like this.
  20. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Dig the Black/red combo!

mr zee likes this.