1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Some more pics. Including one of the damaged spot.
    Watch those belt buckles with this one.

Guess I'm gonna repaint this one with some serious wear resistant paint. I don't care about roadworn. I want them to look good.
    IMG_20191109_135532. IMG_20191109_135440. IMG_20191109_135514.

Resonance129, Gothic and heb9_28 like this.
  2. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    It's a pretty bass for sure! But
    I wonder if that delicate finish is by design, it seems absurd that a guitar shows such marks after being played for a few hours tops.

3. It’s damaged because of it scraping over lost screws I believe. Mine has gone through two long rehearsals with different bands and still looks great. Changed the strings to d’addario the second night. The are twice as loud as the HB strings. Had to lower the pickups 3 mm. Original strings behaved ok though the new strings seemed to have a bit more mid punch with tone pot rolled back. And they feel more smooth. -but Might get D&R black strings :) Tuners are better as expected. Bridge and saddles are good enough. I’ll leave everything intact for a month or two, or sooner if the electronics should give a problem. (It is a good bass as is and looks as a proud HB bass. Normally I take guitars apart the same day :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    To be honest I worked on it. A pickguard screw got lost under it on my worktable.
    But still. I've never had paint come off that easy.
    Any belt buckle will do this quickly.

I'd say hang it up and put a hard satin clearcoat on the back before playing it seriously.

Outtaseezun and Maartenaerts like this.
  5. Maartenaerts and Erik Asma like this.
  6. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Not to bring a down mood to the group here but Im wondering if this has happened to anyone else here...
    So I'm on my way to receiving a PB-50 within the next couple of days and my bank sends me an overdraft notice for the charge of the bass when it was purchased using my PayPal!
    In other words, the original purchase was done using PayPal but then I was charged again to my bank account that is linked to PayPal...huh?
    As of today, $140 paypal + $140 from the bank plus $50 overdrawn, lol.
    I contacted the bank to dispute the charge and hopefully the penalty and I'm contacting Thomanns as well but I gues I'll hear from them on Monday.

Erik Asma likes this.
  7. @gip111

The folks you should be contacting is Paypal. Since you linked them to your account they have a form of "Direct Debit" so can withdraw funds anytime. Had trouble with Paypal myself. Bought a bass using PP,seller got a better price and cancelled the sale. PP sent an email but never returned the money. The bank couldn't do anything except tell me to contact PP for a transfer trace and report them to the ombusman if they failed to comply.

Took 6 weeks to get the money.

8. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Yours might be a different case. My problem is not with PP, it's more with Thomann for taking my PP payment and then also charging the bank that my PP is linked to.

9. Thomann don't have authority to take funds from your bank. You'll note when using Paypal you get directed to them so you can verify the purchase. Everything goes through Paypal first,it's them acting as your purchase agent.

Have you contacted Paypal ?

Erik Asma, heb9_28 and JACink like this.
  10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    @gip111 , did you actually give your bank account number to Thomann? If not, there is no way they can know your bank account as PP doesn't share that info.

Slinger, kodiakblair and heb9_28 like this.
  11. heb9_28

heb9_28 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ^^^^this^^^^

This is definitely a Paypal issue, not Thomann.

kodiakblair likes this.
  12. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I don't know your PP setup but it almost seems like the old "hold" charge you get on a credit card and then the actual charge comes in later, sometimes before the hold is released.

Did you use your bank account info directly or was it debit card info for a card affiliated with Visa or MasterCard or other credit company?

13. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    I did not give my bank account to Thomann, it was paid using PP. I'm sure it is nothing but a mistake on someone's part, just not sure who that someone is. Im assuming Thomann would know they got paid twice? I made the purchase just as any other purchase that is done through PP only to find out a couple of days later that same charge was applied to my bank account. I'm in the process of contacting PP at the moment. Stay tuned.

14. heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My question is, did you have funds in your Paypal account prior to purchase? Or did you just use Paypal to check out? These are two VERY different things.

Because unless you already have money that has either been paid into or transferred into your Paypal account that was just sitting there, then all Paypal is doing is acting as the secure agent processing the payment from your bank account.

This would only be concerning if you had an active $200 in your Paypal account that was then reduced to $60, and then ALSO seeing $140 deducted from your bank account. In which case, it is still a Paypal issue, not a Thomann issue.

15. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Ok so now that I feel like an ass... totally my mistake. I had no clue that I was supposed to transfer my PP balance onto my PP wallet or my bank, is this familiar with anyone using PP? So I had a balance to cover the bass but the money was not "accepted" to my wallet or my bank so they went to the bank even though it shows -$$$ from PP. Man this is a bit confusing to me but the call to PP resolved the issue.

16. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    So Im curious what you mean by...
    "Because unless you already have money that has either been paid into or transferred into your Paypal account that was just sitting there, then all Paypal is doing is acting as the secure agent processing the payment from your bank account" This is what the PP agent was telling me even though the money is as you mentioned "sitting there"... that sounds like a PP balance to me, right?

17. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Tort!
    F89BA7C8-7F3A-4151-B86E-830C56C6A353.

18. heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    So I actually had done a similar thing about a week ago. Someone had sent me $175 for a pedal. I got notification that it had been sent to me. Then I went on Thomann and ordered my bass.

Then (like 30 seconds later) I realized I had not "accepted" the money in PayPal and put it in my PayPal "wallet" as they say. So they charged my bank account. It ended up not being a big deal at all, I just "accepted" the PayPal money and transferred it to my bank right away.

So... it does get confusing. I know a while ago if someone sent you money, it would be in your PP account and if you made a purchase those would be the funds used by PP automatically.

Sucks that happened to you, especially because of the overdraft. I was just wanting to help you understand that it wasn't Thomann double charging you.

kodiakblair and MovinTarget like this.
  19. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    I don't to put anything into my account, Paypall works like a debit card with a delay. They pay it and then take it from my bank a day or so later.
    So it shows up in my paypall list straight away and on my bank account later.
    unless I do have some money in my paypall, refunds end upthere, then they use that first.

Slinger and mr zee like this.
  20. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Hey man, that IS very helpful, kind of good to hear it from someone else that has been there sort of say. The "wallet" thing really confused me. One good tip though, the agent did say to try and keep most of it in the bank account itself. Appreciate the explanation. Thank you!