1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Thomann decide how many units they will order months in advance.

The number of people putting in pre-orders has no bearing on the delivery date.

Itai Bieber likes this.
  2. Igoka

Igoka

Nov 17, 2019
    Texas
    I found myself, often, thinking of buying something and waiting because I couldn't get it 'now'. Usually I waited past the original ship date and still had nothing in hand. Order now, get a new year's present, guaranteed.

Itai Bieber likes this.
  3. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Hi

I bought a Deko JB 75 SB some time ago. It was pretty much unplayable when I got it. But I rolled my sleeves up and got it into great shape. Just needed to level the frets ( followed by crowning and polishing of course); removing and replacing a couple of sheared pickup screws and a full setup.

I now wouldn't part with it. It's a lovely looking and sounding bass. I'm sure the vast majority that ship will be good examples.

The only criticism I have is about it's weight. It's heavy at about 13 pounds. I use a 4 inch strap to spread the load.

Today I modded all my HB basses with Schaller type strap buttons. When removing the old HB buttons I found the factory fitted screws are thin and short. I had to redrill with 3 mm drill in order to take the new screws.

Anyway, for the price it is outstanding.

Erik Asma, Outtaseezun and Gothic like this.
  4. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Thanks for the update. I expect there to be some work to get it up to my standards, but I don't know how to do any fret work. No time like the present to learn, I suppose.

5. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Highly likely you won't need to.

You will most likely need to set it up to your preferences, but that's just guitars for you.

The only new bass I've ever had that I didn't have to set up was my my Ibanez SR 700. Played like a dream straight out of the box with perfect intonation.

My other HB basses are a PB 50 (seems like everyone on here has at least one) and a JB 40 FL fretless jazz. They are all currently in sunburst but I've plans to refinish the PB 50 in Butterscotch Blonde and reshape the headstock.

6. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I'm hoping you're right. Set up is not a problem. Even my $2,000 Lull needed a neck tweak when I switched from rounds to flats. That and bridge adjustment I can handle. Filing down and leveling frets or replacing a nut is another conversation. (insert nut replacement jokes here) __________________

How easy is it to mod these suckers? I don't expect to do a lot to it. Maybe a badass bridge, maybe some light tuners. I read a post somewhere where someone replaced the pickups with fender pickups but then regretted it afterwards because the stock ones sounded fuller. But I also saw a video about the PB-50 needing some control pots replaced. I don't know how to solder, and live in a small town with no music store within less than an hour, so that will limit my upgrade options. Or . . . I could just learn to solder too.

I'm thinking a pre-wired solderless jazz bass harness that would allow me to change pickups at will. Just for poops and giggles. It may be entirely unnecessary. We'll see how the bass sounds on its own first.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Volker Kirstein likes this.
  7. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    These are great skills to pick up and do NOT have to cost a lot of money in tools. If all your instruments on the same scale, you can do fret leveling with a thin metal ruler of sufficient length and a level (preferable a metal one) with sandpaper and double sided tape:

AwMDAwL2F0dGFjaG1lbnQub3V0bG9vay5saXZlLm5ldEA4NGRmOWU3Zi1lOWY2LTQwYWYtYjQzNS1hYWFhYWFhYWFhYWEifQ.jpg

The ruler needs to be notched for the frets so that it can lay flat against the neck. You loosen the truss until the neck is indeed flat (checking with that ruler). Then you can use a marker to line the crown of each fret and then use the level with sandpaper stuck to it to level until all the lines are scraped away (i.e. leveled).

Thats the short version, you can see a better explanation here:

This guy also offers tips on crowning frets etc:

His channel is good for getting ideas for how to do things on the cheap.

Us yanks may be a tad uncultured at times, but we can be creative! :D

8. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Dang. This makes my head hurt. I'll have to look into this later. Thanks for all the info.

9. Thomann sell QC fails as "decoration only/unplayable", "deko" for short.

mind train saying he bought a deko and it needed work is hardly relevant.It was labeled as "Unplayable" in the first place :laugh:

10. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Lol. That's good to know. I thought "Deko" was just another imported off-brand that I hadn't heard of yet.

11. No, QC fails sold with no warranty or returns policy.

He really should have made that fact clear.

12. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    No.

They are Harley Benton guitars and basses returned by the purchaser for one reason or another. Most go in to the B stock basket but some are considered unplayable, not worth Thomann repairing, so are sold as "decorative", hence Deko.

Can't remember exactly but I think mine cost €45 ISH

One always takes a risk buying a Deko. Some have very minor problems easily fixed by a setup. Others, like mine, require more work yet others are only fit for wall art. Having said that they are worth breaking for spares.

dabbler likes this.
  13. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Not much "needs" modding. However there may be stuff you"want" to do.

I honestly wouldn't bother changing the pups. The Rosewell pups are excellent.

The only mods I've done on mine are putting Schaller type strap locks on and putting new control pots and cap in. I didn't "need" to rewire it but I fancied it. Can't say it made any difference.

Might replace the tuning machines at some point but it's not high on my list.

I spent a happy afternoon playing all sorts of different songs requiring a range of tones on mine
    Albatross
    Take Five
    In a Gadda da Vida
    Proud Mary
    Comfortably Numb

The JB 75 has got a good range for a passive although I did use a bridge mute for Take Five and Gadda da Vida

jacoby75 and MovinTarget like this.
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Not for bass, but Kmise for a Telecaster and a Strat. Tele neck is fine, Strat neck is junk.

Gothic likes this.
  15. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erik Asma likes this.
  16. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    JB's also a great modding platform, if you decide later on to go down that rabbit hole... :whistle:

mkVII X.jpg

Outtaseezun and MovinTarget like this.
  17. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Next time, play a tad further from the pyrotechnics...

Erik Asma likes this.
  18. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

I use the solderless harnesses as a rule when I upgrade electronics. It makes any future pickup swaps a piece of cake. Also very easy to correct any phase issue resulting from said swaps.

I don't gig, so can't tell you how they hang over the long haul on the road, but I've never had issues with loose connections in casual playing/jam sessions.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  19. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I left those on there on purpose! I like it! :(

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Acknowledging that I may be putting the cart a bit in front of the horse here, what kind of harness do you use?