1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    wow, but once its sold, isn't there someone at Fender, etc that looks it over an determines if it going to be for a $500 guitar or a $2500 one?

I remember my first refin project where I tried to heat-strip the existing finish and the wood actually "popped" in one place either because it still had moisture or it was some filler sealed in there...

2. RyoCanCan

RyoCanCan

Oct 8, 2019
    Finland
    That's down to place of (scale of) manufacture, labour and hardware mostly. Wood isn't much different on a 400 buck vs. a 1500 buck guitar, but everything else usually is.

ROGI, bpc and kodiakblair like this.
  3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Well that goes back to what he was saying when buying the lumber bulk, but I would think there is someone thinking that some exceptionally figured wood should be used in a $$$ instrument as opposed to getting opaque-laquered and sold for less profit...

I know I'm digressing from the weight question, but I find this interesting. :D

4. @RyoCanCan is 100% correct . In mass production places blanks just get glued together.

For "Masterbuilt" some guy could go down to the spray booth and snatch one out of the line but they rarely bother, most times that pretty top is just a cap.

RyoCanCan likes this.
  5. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I suppose someone there does that each time they make a new documentary to keep their inflated prices going.

6. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    what about necks? that's typically not a cap I would think.

7. @MovinTarget

Necks ?

The factories buy cubic metres of maple,cubic metres of quarter sawn maple and cubic metres of bird's eye maple etc.
    Same goes for mahogany,panga panga or whatever species you care to use.

Blank goes in a machine and a neck spits out other end.

Don't take that literary,some hand sanding and shaping is involved.

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. RyoCanCan

RyoCanCan

Oct 8, 2019
    Finland
    And on higher priced models, the trussrods might be better quality, necks maybe even laminated and reinforced. But yeah, the principal is the same. Wood is wood, everything else is extra.

Gothic and MovinTarget like this.
  9. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA

These convos always leave me wondering why by high end if like tinkering with it myself...

Volker Kirstein likes this.
  10. So when they talk about tonewood, what they're saying is that it's a piece from a ton-o-wood?

Igoka likes this.
  11. I'd prefer if they meant "ton-o-wood". Saves me hearing them talk out of their a$$es :laugh:

GKon, Joybass and MovinTarget like this.
  12. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    same strings, same pickups, same player, same neck, same wood type, different mass = same sound in the mix.

it may seem to you that there is difference when you play lightweight vs heavy bass, but that's just because massive basses tend to resonate in a different way, and even if your amp/headphones are blasting like crazy, you perceive sound waves that come from your bass trough your body

bpc likes this.
  13. RyoCanCan

RyoCanCan

Oct 8, 2019
    Finland
    You're getting more than just the bass with the money. You get the expertise of a luthier for one, more expensive addons (better paint, parts, frets etc.), maybe even personal touches. The biggest driver here is the experience and expertise of the craftsman, and their time. This is more true for smaller builders, as they have to value their time higher to make ends meet but bigger manufacturers, although custom capable, have the scale and repeatability to lower prices. Logistics also raise price (US products are more expensive in EU for example). Some brands though seem to put most value on recognition than other things though.

Sure, tinkering is fun and an excellent skill to have and you might save a buck, but the prices come from somewhere. You don't pay for your time when tinkering.

ROGI and MovinTarget like this.
  14. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    FWIW I measured the PB20 stock pickup. It reads 7.29k. Which is kinda... "vintage" territory, yet not really "vintage sounding". What I noticed when I first got it was it was REALLY weak. I mean low volume weak, the DC value doesn't always translate directly to "output". In any case, I proceeded to stick two thin ceramic bar magnets I got from an old Ibanez single coil on the side of the existing ceramic magnets under the pickup.
    The way this pickup is voiced, adding the extra magnets got me a sound pretty like the DiMarzio DP122. I mean, terrifyingly close, if not exacty the same.

So yeah, it's a worthwhile experiment if you're keeping the stock pickup and like the DiMarzio's voicing/tone. Personally, I don't but at least it's totally acceptable now.

15. Igoka

Igoka

Nov 17, 2019
    Texas
    Boosting magnetic power also boosts output, so maybe you got some sterile sounding or weak magnets? Can those be charged with a magnetic yoke?

On a side note, YouTuber DylanTalksTone did a piece on why Telecaster and Stratocaster pickups sound different. Spoiler: it's a chunk of steel that spreads the magnetic field around the midrange. That's it. So maybe you can play with the sound (add steel) since you're already in there?

Outtaseezun and Gothic like this.
  16. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought a HB guitar recently and returned it for QC reasons related to poor packing, and the return was a fairly big hassle. First I had to provide pictures of the problems with the guitar. They weren't satisfied with the first set of pictures so I had to take more. Then they tried to negotiate for me to keep it at a lower price. Some might want this, but I didn't, and it took me several emails to convince them of this. They did not provide a shipping label, and said they would not for international shipping. I had to get a quote for shipping and submit it to them for approval. Once approved I had to purchase the shipping myself, then submit the receipt for a refund. Also, they would not put the money back on my credit card. They required my bank account info to transfer the money. Overall, a less than satisfactory experience, although I did get my money back. I'm not saying this to discourage anyone from buying a HB bass or guitar. They make good instruments at very low prices. But if you get one with an issue, it may take some effort to get your refund.

17. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

I've never had issues returning/exchanging things to Thomann or Music Store (J&D basses). But, to be fair, I live in Germany.

I imagine I would have issues returning an instrument to another continent, tho. Guitar Center, for example.

ROGI and Erik Asma like this.
  18. Guitar Center has a solution.

They won't sell to Europeans. Hell,their site blocks our IP addresses .

19. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was able to return it and get all my money back. But just wanted to point out that it takes some effort to do so.

20. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Here's my PB20 with the "new" pickguard! :hyper:
    Pics don't do it justice!

pg5X.jpg

GKon, Erik Asma, 405BassGuy and 4 others like this.