1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. That would take some doing,bass guitars are robust.

Had a bass sitting in the passenger seat (impact side) when this occurred.
    Car Photos (3).JPG
    Only damage was bit of the dash pierced the gig bag and embedded itself in the neck.

jacoby75 likes this.
  2. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Lowdown Showdown Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    OK yeah, seen those. man that box was horrid looking but nice bass :)

jacoby75 likes this.
  3. HarveyRobertson

HarveyRobertson Lowdown Showdown Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Benton Kentucky
    glad you and the bass made it out of that wreck man... geesh god was sitting in the passenger seat holding you and that bass bro!

4. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I hope Thomann offer some reduction in price. Truly awful handling somewhere along the route.

A few months back I took an Ibanez archtop bass to our local music store to sell on commission. It was posted via Parcel Force to a buyer in Scotland. It arrived with a hole right through it. Looked like it had been speared by a rod of some kind. The music store compensated the buyer

jacoby75 likes this.
  5. Even with seatbelts and airbags it cost me 1 of my 9 lives :)

6. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    It is. Or at least it was on mine along with the two pickguards. I'd have preferred it wasn't fitted but it was along with the black PG. So the black PG has holes for the tug bar but the unfitted white PG doesn't.

7. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I got a
    It's not on the website photos

8. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    The website photos show it with a white PG, mine came with the black one fitted. The one I sent back had a white PG fitted and the black one in the box. Both basses had the tug bar fitted.

9. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018

10. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    They did respond and offered some reimbursement, which was nice. But it's frustrating. I want to order more from them, but am concerned what condition it will show up in. That being said, it's still probably worth the risk, given the price-to-quality ratio. Just to have some cool-looking basses to bang around on. I'll probably try a PB-50 next. I also recently picked up a Tech 21 YYZ, and I can more than scratch my I-want-to-sound-like-Geddy-Lee itch with that and the JB-75. I don't even think I need another. The combination sounds sooooooooo surprisingly good.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    HarveyRobertson and MovinTarget like this.
  11. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
  12. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI

It would appear that once again HB has made an absolutely fantastic sounding bass for a ridiculously low price. Although, I've watched so many of BTW's videos that I am of the opinion that you could slap a rubber band on a pizza box and that bassist, Rene, would make it sound amazing. But seriously. How do they even make the bass that cheap? You'd think the parts alone would have to cost more than the total for the bass and case. It's witchcraft.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Outtaseezun and MovinTarget like this.
  13. Fella in NY put his PB-50 in the classifieds last night. Swapped knobs look awful,missing cap means nothing if you don't roll the pot back. Pretty grain on back of neck.

For Sale - Harley Benton PB-50 SB Vintage Series

edit

Way too far a drive for $50 bass :(

14. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    That looks awful, lol. And the tone pot is pretty critical to me. But I'd still totally check it out if I lived in NY. But for the cost of new knobs and fixing the tone pot, you might as well just buy a brand new one.

15. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    The reviews on the Thomann website are very good but I really value the opinions of this group

MovinTarget and Gothic like this.
  16. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Understandable. You never know what they do to the tone in post-processing. He sang the praises of the JB-75, which I wound up picking up, and I wholeheartedly agree.

17. A cap will cost you 50 cents,knobs maybe $4. There's a cold solder compound for those wary of a soldering iron :thumbsup:

Course the 1300 mile round trip rules it out on fuel costs alone :)

MovinTarget and Gothic like this.
  18. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Touche. Yes. I have no idea how to solder either. So add on the emotional cost of having to learn something new, and I think we're splitting nickels here. Lol.

19. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Add on the cost of a burn kit as well... ;)

20. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Right. And a trip or two to the ER to get the solder out of my eyes.

MovinTarget likes this.