I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks a lot for the tip, I was actually thinking of contacting the service

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. upload_2021-3-19_11-17-24.png

I picked this one up yesterday, used. A JB75-MN NA. A true beauty. I cleaned it up, mounted a set of slightly used strings and did a set up. I was blown away by the sound of this bass. Deep, full, present, lots of detail. Is it heavy as stated many times by many people? Yes it is, but when it sounds like this I don't mind. The only drawback this one has is a truss rod that enjoys a good rattle on certain notes. Luckily it doesn't poke through when amplified, but it is there and it's a real OCD inciter. To fix it requires invasive procedures judging from some YouTube footage, so I don't know about that yet. But it's a good sounding looker for sure.

3. ollimac73

ollimac73

Mar 14, 2020
    For the PB50 lovers...these days I have found my next fetish, truly enjoying my PB50 over a G min drone, and I am amazed how the Roswell pickup can offer such a variety of tonalities. Great time, a relaxing and meditative way to use my HB ... never thought about it.
    I am so into it that now I want to add a phaser, perhaps a bit of delay with an octaver....whooooo

This PB50 just stopped my GAS for other basses for how much I am enjoying it :)

By the way, that is the drone:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Have you tried tightening or loosening the truss rod a tiny fraction? I had one in my fretless (not a HB) that rattled with certain frequencies. All it took was a few degrees of a turn and it was silent.

5. rasmus klump

rasmus klump

Oct 31, 2018
    Hi all! Can anyone tell me, where to drill the holes for the tugbar on the PB50?
    I've recently acuired a red one and the pickguard sadly has no pre-drilled holes.
    I will probably never use the tugbar as originally intended, but i think there is something missing if it's not installed.
    Thanks!

6. It's easy.

Lay the PG flat and run a ruler/straight edge from the tip of the lower neck pocket to the bottom right screw hole.
    Next take your tugbar and lay it along side the ruler, slide it down until the first hole is about 40mm from the tip.

DSC_0894.JPG

7. rasmus klump

rasmus klump

Oct 31, 2018
    Great! Thanks a lot!

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. You're welcome, glad I could help :)

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    Geeeeeez...That's a nice looking JB, wouldn't mind having that around the house.... the sound of a JB, yeah that's something special, the expression the dynamics, frigging awesome.

Joybass likes this.
  10. It has been sitting in its stand a few days and I played it now and then and, somehow, the neck settled down and the rattle has gone. It may reappear when I change strings or when the weather changes, who knows. For now I'm happy.

subdude67 and MovinTarget like this.
  11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I'm looking at getting a 5 string fretless soon, and the Ibanez SRF705 is just too expensive for me and I can't find any other I like the look of so (no FSOs) I may have to import. The two up for consideration are the Ibanez SR375EF and the Harley Benton HBZ2005FL. I know how the Ibby will feel as I have a 370e and a number of other SRs, so how does the HB compare in terms of neck shape and profile, neck width, general ergonomics and weight please? Anything else anyone might be able to tell me would also be great, fretted version as well. I've looked at all the YT videos and other reviews I can find, but I find the TB brains trust helpful. Cheers.

MovinTarget likes this.
  12. 405BassGuy

405BassGuy

Jul 15, 2019
    U.S.A.
    In this week's issue of the Blues Blast Magazine, one of the artists with a new album review is Damon Fowler. Please note that I'm not promoting the magazine or the artist. However, if you visit damonfowler.com/videos and watch Alafia Moon - 2021, you will see that his bass player is playing a Harley Benton RB-414CS. I know it's not a big deal, but I hope that some of you will appreciate seeing & hearing the bass in action.

Harley Benton RB-414CS Bass.jpg

13. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy

So I decided to keep it.
    Here's 2 pics
    IMG-20210315-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20210315-WA0004.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. Could you also post a picture of the damaged finish? Just me being curious.
    It looks like a great bass. Congratulations.

MovinTarget and Grufolo like this.
  15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    What do you think of the pickups? The brand is alien to me.

MovinTarget, zbigniew and Grufolo like this.
  16. I have a had a weak moment last weekend and got myself another used PB-50SB. With flats, which in itself was quite a revelation for me. Never played flats before. Now I want flats on all my basses :drool:. No pictures because it looks exactly like a, well, PB-50SB. Great condition, hardly any dings. Truss rod nut a bit stripped but stil usable. And a few high frets above the 15th. The flatwound strings and this little Roswell pickup are an impressive combo I must say. Make the cupboards rattle :woot:. But I really have got to stop buying basses. Stay healthy folks.

GusG, Maartenaerts and MovinTarget like this.
  17. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Thank you!
    The problem at the bottom of the neck was solved as it turned out to be just some dried dirt (very hard and dry, but the luthier removed it with some special cleaner and a hard rubber).

There is some varnish missing where the marking dots are on the top of the fretboard. It is hardly visible in pictures but it can be felt under the fingers if you slide on it.

Hardly a problem after a thorough cleanup and pictures aren't really showing the problem.

After all, worth keeping!

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    The brand is the house brand of Thomann/HB.
    The electronics are very aggressive, quite an aggressive sound when the active preamp is selected... It makes you want to slap (I'm not good at it but even I can get a decent sound!)

The bright sound of the active mode is very attractive and I didn't use the passive quite enough to give you a good report on that. I bought the bad primarily as a replacement for my Mexican Fender P bass, and I need to understand if the split coil P pickup can do the job, when the passive electronics are selected

Maartenaerts and MovinTarget like this.
  19. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I’m looking into getting a 5 string, but not sure if I’m going to bond and gel with a 5iver.

Instead of combing Craigslist and FB Marketplace, are these $130 options worthy to learn how to play a five string?

It will be under $200 delivered. I never see anything 5 string on the used sites.

Your thoughts?

MB-5SB - Harley Benton

c4755acc-9940-46ed-a1d3-0dde36eefb34-jpeg.jpg

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks for the explanation.

The Roswell comment was a joke about Roswell N.M. Sorry if it didn't translate.

Maartenaerts and MovinTarget like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021