I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I think you already answered your question:D

If you like the looks and approximate sound of a Stingray you should absolutely buy that beauty!

Clark Westfield and MovinTarget like this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have a handful of Harley Bentons and every one has punched above its cost. I even have the 4 string version of that one:

IMGP2619a.jpg

which I love. You probably have checked the specs, but just be aware that the description of 2 volumes and one tone is accurate. It is basically wired just like a J bass, with each coil having its own volume control, and is totally passive. That said, it has lots of tone and since I'm mostly a J bass player, I actually appreciate the VVT wiring. I have thought about doing a series/parallel mod like I do on a lot of my J basses, but haven't gotten around to it... and am in no hurry.

3. I've had mine for 4 months and I love it. After reworking the bridge and bridge pu, it's great!

Attached Files:

405BassGuy, zbigniew and MovinTarget like this.
  4. Your bridge is setup for strings through should you desire. The string ferells are available from amazon for about $10.

Grufolo and MovinTarget like this.
  5. Just a heads up for those PB-20 owners looking for a change.

Last week I dropped off a PG so Brian could make up a template. Before going I checked it with the PB-20 SBK, they match :) PB -20 PG's have now been added to his inventory .

Pickguard for various Harley Benton bass models: many pickup and colour options | eBay

Following on from a conversation on the German bass site I took a JB-75 PG with me when I collected the plates Sunday passed.

Expect those to be available from next week :thumbsup:

subdude67 and MovinTarget like this.
  6. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Not looking to really mod anything, as it is a $150 bass, just looking to see if I like a 5 string.

If yes, then I’ll build another Sadowsky.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    MovinTarget likes this.
  7. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    I bought the PJ 75 for the same reason, I thought if I like it I buy a better one, well I liked it, the better one never came and I sold my Fenders.

8. mromag

mromag

Apr 10, 2020
    does anyone got the MM-85A wiring diagram ?
    thanks

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I managed to get the GZR pups in but man I butchered the pickguard. Thank god it sounds so great with the new pups and luckily my hand covers the blemishes :) I also need to find some knobs that fit the GZR pots. The HB do not.
    Here is a pic of my handy work :D
    butcherjob.jpg

10. The MB-5 has been reported to have a chunky/massive/huge neck on it. So, just to caution you, this bass may not be representative of most 5-string basses.

11. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    For a few extra bucks I’m looking into an Ibanez Talman 105 which has some decent reviews here on TB.

It’s only $50 more, and Sweetwater is the seller, so nothing to worry about as far as shipping and returns.
    056F409E-9F71-4A46-9D37-FDF6F9B0E47A.jpeg

12. upload_2021-4-3_10-44-32.png
    It happened again. I saw this nice used but almost new JB-20 in candy apple red and the evil forces took over and made me buy it. It is the cheapest JB, but the build quality is astonishing. The only small flaw are the slightly sharpish fret ends. The previous owner complained about weak sounding pickups, but he should have replaced the factory strings with proper ones, as i did, and he would have discovered the real solid sound of this red beauty. Despite its humble ceramic low budget pickups. So, the month of March brought me three top notch harley bentons. For less than a Squier. Life is good.

13. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    [QUOTE="Roger Ford, post: 25126090, member: The string ferells are available from amazon for about $10.[/QUOTE]

What are they?
    I never heard the word

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Ops I missed that!

MovinTarget likes this.
  15. What are they?
    I never heard the word[/QUOTE]

No wonder, the word is "Ferrules" , really need to include the letter U :)

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks!
    I had to Google it but they basically metal eyelets.
    I think the be Congress with them included.

I just kept the setup from Thomann where the strings didn't go through the body... I shall try putting them through the body and the ferrules when I feel like tampering with the strings !

MovinTarget and kodiakblair like this.
  17. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    So, I was standing in line waiting for my food at a Five Guys, when I found myself ordering two Harley Benton bases from Thomann. What have I done?

Volker Kirstein and B-Mac like this.
  18. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Did you remember the fries?

19. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Thomann sells fries? :roflmao:

B-Mac and MovinTarget like this.
  20. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure they are great, but I'm starting to regret making this hasty purchase. I just emailed Thomann to cancel the order. Has anyone else done this?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021