I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I don't think so.
    You can add multiple people to personal messages, is that any good ?

PaleAngel_90 likes this.
  2. I asked because everything seems to have a discord server these days, merely curious. I quite like this forum.

3. @PaleAngel_90

I'll be honest about this. I had Google explain what "discord server" meant.

Maartenaerts likes this.
  4. I know, I didn't knew what discord was until a few years back, I get it. It's a relatively new thing.

5. Shlafenflarst

Shlafenflarst

Apr 13, 2020
    /dev/null
    I contacted Harley Benton about this, and they told me all the PB models have the same neck dimensions, so they can be swapped, but the JB has different dimensions, impossible to exchange with the PB. That kinda complicates my plans...

MovinTarget likes this.
  6. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    I think you'll find the differences are at the nut end. The pockets should be the same. I have a JB75 which I just measured at 62.43mm at the heel if that helps. Measured from the top without removing the neck. Should be close enough.

MovinTarget likes this.
  7. Shlafenflarst

Shlafenflarst

Apr 13, 2020
    /dev/null
    Well I knew about the nut difference, and I assumed the heel would be the same like you said, like it is on Fenders, but someone from Harley Benton told me otherwise... but that would be easy to verify, there should be a PB or PJ owner here that could help me, right ? Thanks in advance !

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. I bought a chinese bass neck recently with a DIY project in mind. When it arrived 5 weeks later I decided to see if it would fit on a PB-50 and it was an almost perfect fit. Just a slight bit of looseness in the neck pocket that I could remedy with a bit of masking tape. I decided to go ahead with it because the idea of a PB-50 with a JB neck appealed to me. This PB-50 was fitted with flats, but that could not impress the new neck. It did not really budge with the flats tuned to pitch. I even had to take all tension off the truss rod to give it some relief. And: the nut was perfect, no high frets at all, the frets were clean and polished out of the box. A bit of a gamble but a real surprise, this no brand low budget bass neck for 65 euros and change.
    upload_2021-4-20_0-8-59.png

Erik Asma, shojii, bpc and 1 other person like this.
  9. What do you guys think of Gator Cases and Gigbags? I'm undecided if I should go for the Gator Foam Case for Bass and the Gator GC-Bass ABS Case or something similar from Thomann's own brand, from what I've read and heard Gator should be better quality, even if a bit higher where price is concerned compared to Thomann's own brand. What do you guys think?

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. Don't think I've had any Gator cases or bags,I've been well impressed by the Thomann premium gigbag.

subdude67 and MovinTarget like this.
  11. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    I have Thomann bags. I like this one the most: https://www.thomann.de/nl/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm

12. Erik Asma and MovinTarget like this.
  13. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    I've got the tweed hard case. I like it and think the quality is good but it is too small for a jazz bass. Fits my PB50 perfectly.

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    I use hard cases for acoustic guitars only, all other stuff goes in soft cases, been doing so for over 30 years, never had a problem.

15. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    I have two Thomann hard cases. Love them.
    Excellent for hauling your guitars around in the car.

Maartenaerts and MovinTarget like this.
  16. Sometimes those really inexpensive abs cases smell like a chemical plant. Are the Thomann cases like that?

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not a real member...just played a PB Shorty that belongs to a drummer friend of mine for the first time yesterday. He keeps it in his practice space in the attic. He asked me over and told me not to bother bringing anything, he had a bass and amp (Ashdown Little Basstard 30 into a GK 1-12) there.

At first I thought it was shorter than 30" because the body was downsized so much. I've gigged many short scales over the years: a MIJ Guild/Madeira, a Kalamazoo KB1, a 25" scale Supro Pocket Bass, a borrowed Hagstrom and a Dano Silvertone I still own. It played fine, with the fresh factory strings and setup (I think I was the first person to play it for more than 15 minutes) it sounded nice and bright with good action. The tuners were OK, no tuning slip but they haven't had much (ab)use yet :thumbsup:

I wasn't crazy about the tone pot taper. I'm used to Fenders where at about 75% open, there is already significant treble cut which brings out the mids more. The Shorty's pot seemed to do almost nothing until it was almost all the way off, making it hard to find the midrange sweet spot. On the other hand, for someone looking for a clanky midrange forward sound for loud rock it certainly delivered.

Like most low-end P style basses, it lacked a strong bottom and there wasn't much complexity in the tone. Between the different wood recipe (poplar vs. alder, amaranth vs. rosewood) plus the expected low-cost electronics, that made perfect sense...different parts means different sound. I'd bet popping in a DiMarzio Model P or a Duncan QP along with swapping out the tone pot would be a big help, doubling the cost of course :meh:

I'll certainly be playing it more in the future, I never turn down an opportunity to leave my gear at home ;) Nice for what it is, too bad shipping is so expensive, turning a $90 bass into a $160 bass. If it was $100 out the door, that would be hard to argue with.

GH van Dijk and MovinTarget like this.
  18. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Don't recall they do. Off course when they're new they smell a bit. There's glue and fake fur in plastic.
    But it never bothered me that much I noticed. And it's gone quickly.

Maartenaerts and MovinTarget like this.
  19. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    So, to my surprise today turned out a NBDA: New Bass Day Ahead :D!!

Story: last year I saw a video of a Cherry Sunburst "Bentonbacker" RB-414 and I got excited to get one.
    Unfortunately, for us lefties it was not available in that color, only in black, and also out of stock, available in 7 to 9 weeks or so :sour:
    I put it on my wishlist and checked from time to time. I saw it in stock again but when I had time to order later that day, it was out of stock again, another 7 to 9 weeks to arrive. It seems lefties stock is (very) limited (as well as the product range) and waiting times are long (Covid-19 probably doesn't improve it).

So today I decided to try to repair the squealing and malfunctioning heating fan of my BMW to save some cash from bringing it to the car dealer.
    The repair was successful and I decided to browse the lefties on Thomann.
    And behold, there it is, since March 2021: a Harley Benton RB-414 LH CS :drool:
    I hurried to order, afraid someone might snatch it away before me, and now it is to arrive next Thursday :hyper:

So instead of spending around the same amount of money on having the heating repaired I fixed it myself + there is a nice Bentonbacker LH CS on its way :)

20. Fowler

Fowler

Apr 26, 2020
    Just over a year ago I decided to learn to play the bass and grabbed myself a JB-75 SB (left handed). I like to mod my guitars and I've made various tweaks to the bass and upgraded some of the hardware using some second hand stuff. It's a real joy to play.

I'd like to upgrade the tuners though. It seems that the tuners on the JB-75 are somewhat smaller that usual and I can't find something that will fit. I've tried searching the forum, but this thread is 557 pages long :D

Could someone please recommend a set that will fit? I'm not adverse to drilling new holes for screws.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021