I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. What exactly do you mean by upgrade ?

Lighter materials ? The ash body on the JB-75 is pretty solid, neck dive is rarely an issue there.
    Higher gear ratio ? The figure of 20:1 sticks in my head so you could try these Aklot 23:1 tuners.

AKLOT Electric Bass Guitar Tuning Pegs Machine Heads Tuner 23:1 Chrome Advanced | eBay

Harley Bentons have smaller pegheads than Fenders so replacements like Wilkinson will be too big.

Fowler and MovinTarget like this.
  2. Fowler

Fowler

Apr 26, 2020
    Thanks for the reply. Mine is a little head heavy and a higher gear ratio would be better. I'll give the AKLOT's a look. Thanks again!

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. 1B4A226B-521A-48B1-83D2-1B809F9DECDD.jpeg Love my JB 40-FL ! Just got it back from my luthier . He did a proper fingerboard leveling and replaced the nut with a bone nut for me . I installed the Fender bridge when I restrung it with Chromes . The volume , volume , tone knobs where ones I had spare in my parts bin two larger volumes and one smaller tone knob worked out perfect .
    After the fingerboard work and new nut my luthier did , this bass can get insanely low action and plays like a dream . The pickups that came on the bass sound fantastic . I currently have the action set at 5/64 on the E to 4/64 on the G side . I could go lower but this is my preference .

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    heb9_28, bassingeorge, GusG and 9 others like this.
  4. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I still had to post my "Bentonbacker":

IMG_1807.jpg

It really is a gorgeous looking bass, the finish is great, the neck is straight and the frets seem fine.

The Thomann quality control is a bit of a mixed bag though: the pickguard had rough, visible edges (that took just 2 minutes work with fine sanding paper to clean up) and the neck pickup was tilted:

IMG_1797.jpg

I can solve it another way but for now I settled with a piece of foam:

IMG_1798.jpg

Solved:

IMG_1799.jpg

And one of the pots was scratchy. Lubrication partly solved that, so I'll probably replace them all later with better ones.

It also needed a proper setup as I couldn't play any lower frets on the A and D string without getting annoying fret buzz. I really doubt if someone played it.

But, with these issues solved I have a great looking, playing and sounding bass resembling a RB at a fraction of the cost :).

5. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Spoiler alert, Glarry loses out to HB... but not by much and when you add shipping, it might be a wash for us yanks.

So you guys on the east side of the Atlantic have your cheepo champ and we have ours... :D

KevinDBassist and Fowler like this.
  6. Have any of you guys ever taken your Harley Benton/s to a music shop? For example: to see how it sounds with a new amplifier, etc... How was the reception at the shop? Good, bad, hostile, met with curiosity?

7. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    That's going to depend on the people in the shop. You could get any of these reactions. If you get a negative reaction, find another shop. They need you more than you need them. I think most shops will be respectful regardless of their feelings about your bass, after all, they want you to buy something. If you do this, let us know how it went.

MovinTarget and PaleAngel_90 like this.
  8. I'll have to wait until my RB-414 CS arrives, as it's in backorder/waiting until they restock. But sure, I'll do that.

MovinTarget and eric_B like this.
  9. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I hope you will like yours as I like mine.
    Too bad they are out of stock, the HB's seem in demand.

bpc, MovinTarget and PaleAngel_90 like this.
  10. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    The 414 is a high quality instrument. Nothing to be embarrased about there. I'd take mine to a shop and expect them to be impressed by it as I was. If they didn't know what it was they wouldn't believe how little it cost. No need to feel awkward about any HB. The worst of them is as competent as a Squier and the best are outstanding. I say this as someone who now owns some much more expensive instruments.

11. I'm not embarrased, I was just wondering what were your experiences taking the bass/es to shops, that's all.

MovinTarget and bpc like this.
  12. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If I was at a shop (UK terminology) testing amps etc then I'd use it as an opportunity to try something exotic in the shop, but I can see why you'd want to take your own bass. I'm just a home player and my priorities will be different to yours. Sorry I can't answer your question any better than that.

MovinTarget likes this.
  13. MovinTarget likes this.
  14. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    I kept the neck PU, it's good enough for me. I installed a SD SRB-1b in the bridge position, drop in replacement. I was searching for a specific sound, from long ago, mahogany and humbuckers, well... I have that now.

IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0251.JPG

15. Could you post a video of how that pickup sounds?

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth

Amano, Maartenaerts, eric_B and 4 others like this.
  17. Hey there folks! I just placed an order for an MB-5 with the intent of modding it out for fun. I've googled for a couple of days now and I just can't find the bridge spacing listed anywhere.

Any MB-5 owners out there have a caliper to measure string to string spacing at the bridge?

18. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    My money is on 16.5mm but I don't own one...

19. Link to the bridge says 16mm, diagram has all the dimensions.

Musicman style 5-string Bass Bridge

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. Thanks. I was hoping there were a couple different sizes of that style bridge but I bet you're right and it's just that one. I'm going off pics on the net but they look farther than 16mm to the naked eye, which is what got me thinking about it.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021