I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Clank Plank

Clank Plank

Dec 26, 2020
    England
    After a bit of experimentation with the sound and weight of all my basses I have decided that the HB MM will be my main gigging bass when we start our first live dates again next month. My Ibanez PJ will be backup and on broken-string stand-by.

The HBMM feels great, isn't super heavy, has a brilliant range of tones, but above all it looks fantastic in all satin black. While I wouldn't be chuffed aboutnit, if it were damaged or stolen it wouldn't be a heartbreaking sum to replace. Makes me stand out from the identikit Les Paul snd Strat our guitarists use.

HB were right on the bullseye with that one.

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm just talking about the Dimarzios in my Ibanez. I honestly think it's a combination of the pickups, the pickup heights that I've chosen, a 25 year old mahogany body I'm convinced is one piece, a 9 year old set of Sadowsky flats that still sustain like new, where I play the strings, etc. This bass growls like a very musical tiger.

MovinTarget, Clank Plank and -Asdfgh- like this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I don't know what the old Magnatones in the Westone were like compared to the Dimarzios. I do have a couple of Squier Precisions, but I haven't looked at series/parallel on those. I suppose I could...

MovinTarget likes this.
  4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I definitely think I'm going to buy a few more HB's. Not to be a collector, but to fill some holes in a very well made cheap way.
    I should really clarify here. Most P pickups probably wouldn't sound good in parallel because they'd be too low in output. The Model P is a really big sounding pickup in series and has a low mid presence that other P's don't have. It's decidedly not vintage sounding. In series it's big and clear and in parallel it's not as big but even clearer and more detailed.

It's the combination of the Model P and the Model J where I get that growl. I have the J raised up quite a bit, almost to the strings, to balance output wise with that big sounding P, so that's where a lot of that growl comes from. Bigness from the P and growl from the J in a set that is ballsy instead of vintage.

MovinTarget and Clank Plank like this.
  5. When it was released, 40 odd years back, an overwound ceramic was a novelty compared to the Alnico most folks were used to hearing.

MovinTarget likes this.
  6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It should only be 3dB less, so it should be workable. I have other things in the pipeline so may not decide to burn myself with the soldering iron, er, try it out today.

MovinTarget likes this.
  7. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have a couple of overwound Alnicos :). Pa currently in basses are alnico, but I have a decent ceramic P in the parts box for playtime and push pull pots to hand...

I'd be more tempted to put series parallel in my HB jaco style bass, though.

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. Back in the 70's, folks didn't over wind alnico pickups, folks knew they'd sound crap ;)

Clank Plank and MovinTarget like this.
  9. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    They were done by Kent Armstrong in about 1988. The exact date is on the back, but it's around then. I didn't request it, they came on a bass I bought. They are a little dark, but sound pretty decent.

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. upload_2021-6-5_18-2-28.png
    Thinking about humbuckers, perhaps this is an idea for the guys at Harley Benton product design. This little hack of mine has been equipped with a Harley Benton MB4 humbucker, an Kaish bridge J pickup, a blend pot for the two humbucker coils and volume pots for the humbucker and the jazz pickup. Seven basses in one, three jazzers with bridge J on and HB coils neck/parallel/bridge, another P-like three with the J off, and one with the J on and the HB off. I deemed a tone pot unnecessary. Sounds quite impressive with that fat humbucker in the P position.

11. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Speaking of pickups and all. Just swapped and rewired a set in my on my Harley Benton pb shorty. The stock wasn't bad. Just Di Marzio DP 122 are better. I put them in parallel. Normally PB are series. But these got plenty of oomph, more so being in a shortscale and I could do with some more finesse and zing. They do now and hardly loose their punch. Put some old Peavy tuners on there as well. Those are a bit more compact which looks better on the baby bass.
    The pups lived in my other HB precision, that one will get some geezer butler next week. And yes I pianted the neck and headstock a matching gloss black. And while I was at it replaced the bridge with one I had in the drawer and cut a new sparkly scratchplate. It was a good bass already. Now it's great. In looks and sound as the DM's are wonderfully balanced across the strings. The stock pickup lacked a bit on the G string. To thin.
    Only thing funny being those pups cost the same as the whole bass.
    But it shows again that these Harley Benton are the perfect foundation for modding. Looking forward to the geezer adventure. IMG_20210605_205556.jpg

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Notice the distance difference between the MM pickup and the bridge on these two basses:

13602926.jpg
    2021-06-05 13_11_44-Window.jpg

No wonder the MM on the MM/P lacks some bass response in comparison!

Attached Files:

MovinTarget and -Asdfgh- like this.
  13. I compared the MJ to my MusicMan and the MM has the pickup one coil closer to the neck. That’s measuring from the saddles.

I came to the same revelation. No wonder this MJ doesn’t sound as deep with the bridge pickup solo’d as my MM.

Sorry for the sideways pics. I still can’t figure out how to take pics with my phone and get TB to display them right.

8C59FEBC-0F25-4CAF-BAD1-BD86665478D8.jpeg

Volker Kirstein and MovinTarget like this.
  14. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Getting ready to head out for an outside gig tonight - taking 2 basses and my MP-5MN is one of them. Should be fun! :bassist:

Harley-Benton-Enhanced-Series-MP-5-MN-Natural-9-jpg.jpg

15. You got some nice wood grain on that one!!

MovinTarget and stingray69 like this.
  16. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Yeah - I got crazy lucky whenever they pulled this one from the warehouse! :hyper:

MovinTarget likes this.
  17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Absolutely. It would be like me expecting to get an MM sound out of my Millennium. The MM pup is about a half inch to far back.

IMG-3602.jpg

It works the same way comparing 60's Jazz to 70's Jazz bridge pup placement. 70's is closer to the bridge giving it more aggressive mids.

Volker Kirstein and MovinTarget like this.
  18. Musicman have their pickup in an area commonly called the "sweet spot".

J/MM and P/MM don't use the sweet spot, they go for what looks about right.

@fourstringbliss

The Millennium was designed with the Lakland 44 in mind, Peavey never made a bass close to aping the MM.

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Eventually you've got to wire them up to a series/parallel switch. That's how I have them on my Ibanez P/J.

MovinTarget and Erik Asma like this.
  20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    For sure - just a different take.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021