I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. It's refreshing to hear from somebody who is aware of that :thumbsup:

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    For sure - I've bee back and forth between both, and settled on the Peavey.

Lakland's take is on splittable MM and a more powerful J pickup (than the Peavey) to cop MM tones, J tones and P-ish tones. Pretty standard three band preamp other than the dip switches for frequency choice.

Peavey's take is on great amounts of preamp flexibility. Active pickups for true stereo blend and sweepable mid frequencies. The J soloed doesn't sound like a normal J soloed, but it's really just for adding flavor to the MM.

I think about replacing the electronics on my Millennium with Delano and Audere, and then I play it in a band setting. It would make it more like the Lakland, though, just with better ergonomics, better hardware, and a better neck - all my opinions.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    MovinTarget likes this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have a parts J. I was thinking J/MM. Maybe I should do MM/J...

Joybass, MuthaFunk and MovinTarget like this.
  4. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Hi HB friends

I just made a video comparing the HB JB-75MN with Fender 1977 Jazz.
    Hope You will found it interesting :)

5. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    Cool! I sold my "Diva" Fender.

_Obra_ and MovinTarget like this.
  6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, I sold a G&L Tribute to get my HB.

I love these kinds of A/B videos. The two basses didn't sound exactly the same, but they both sound really good, proving that sometimes cheap pickups can sound like "holy grail" pups.

My only concern as my first HB bass is set to arrive tomorrow is weight and playability. I don't mind changing electronics if that's necessary.

GH van Dijk likes this.
  7. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship

I tested this one yesterday for some hours. Had the Fender '77 Jazz recorded a week ago, so I used that recording for a quick A/B test.

The sound is best thing about it. Playability not so much.

Very sharp fret edges all over the fretboard. Very heavy. Tuners not sensitive enough. String action (with stock D'addario 45-105) still high with the best setup possible. Bridge pickup raised as high as can be, but even then not loud enough compared to neck pickup even when neck pickup is lowered as much as possible. There are still space for bridge pickup to be raised, but screws are at their limit.

Overall, not so bad for the cost.

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Ugh, I hope the fit and finish (and frets) are better on the enhanced version I have coming yesterday. I have had to dress fret endges on new more expensive basses, though.

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Did anybody catch that I said I have a bass coming yesterday?

MovinTarget and Erik Asma like this.
  10. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I did, but just like that guy back in high school that swore he made out with Pamela Anderson... pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Erik Asma likes this.
  11. That'll mean it's arrived then ?

MovinTarget likes this.
  12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Basically I was saying the bass will arrive yesterday. It's a time warp.

MovinTarget likes this.
  13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It'll be here tomorrow.

kodiakblair and MovinTarget like this.
  14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    My MP-4EB came in yesterday - crazy fast shipping from Germany! They shipped on Friday and I get it on Monday. I'm amazed it arrived unbroken because it came in the standard triangular bass box (technically trapezoidal, but that's the math teacher in me being picky) but the outer box is huge and there was barely any packing material.

I would take pics, but it truly looks exactly like this other than the finish is more cream (like you'd use in your coffee) than the banana pudding this picture makes look like:

13580401.jpg

I'm honestly impressed by every detail! Nothing is out of place and everything looks well done. I haven't been able to plug it in so I can't speak to the electronics. The only thing that feels cheap is the binding - it just feels like plastic fork plastic, if that makes sense. I'll probably hit it with some really fine micro mesh to give it more of a satin feel.

It weighs in at 9.8 lbs, which is usually not an acceptable weight for me, but it feels solid on the strap - not heavy. The finish everywhere is flawless.

There aren't any sharp frets, as in fret ends hanging over the edge of the fretboard, but there are a few that are right up to the edge so I'm going to file them. The frets are just really square, so I'm going to tape off the binding and run my micromesh pads along the fret ends to round them off.

Not a fan of the pickguard, although I'm impressed that it's truly W/B/W/Pearl and every part of it lies flush against the body. A lot of pickguards on cheaper instruments are one layer and/or have some warping somewhere. In the picture the body color is more banana pudding, but in person it's a really nice off-white, like what I'd imagine aged Olympic White would look like. This means that the really white pickguard kind of looks out of place. It doesn't exactly disappear against the off-white of the body, but there's just something off about it. Tort would have been perfect, but I can't bring myself to put a $60+ custom tort guard on there. I'll probably get some nice black adhesive vinyl and make it black.

The tuners feel nice and turn really smoothly. Are the the most accurate? Maybe not, but just as accurate and smooth turning as any chrome open-gear tuners I've used on other basses like G&L Tributes. They're not Hipshot, but they'll work fine.

My fretboard has a nice, dark ebony look to it. I know this is supposedly massacar ebony, but there aren't any highlights or streaking, it's just a solid dark color like I've seen on ebony fretboards from Carvin and other makers.

I might replace the cup style jack plate with a football style one. I use cables that are straight on one end and an L on the other, and I'm a little concerned that the cup is too deep for the L connectors to go in enough to make a solid connection. Maybe it's fine - I'll see today when I can try this out with my amp.

The block inlays look good, and there aren't any filled gaps around them. I've played other inexpensive basses with inlays that were poorly cut and needed filler around them.

I'm looking forward to getting it all set up to my specs. For sure the pickups are going to be lowered - especially the P. I use small wooden thumbrests on my other basses so I'm not resting my thumb on the pickups and so I can play between the pickups (I like that sound) and the P pickups are too high for that. I think I have an extra one lying around, but if not I might make a thumbrest for this bass as well.

All in all, really impressed that this bass cost $412 new shipped.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'll take a picture of the body later so you can see how white, and not banana pudding, the finish is so you can understand my minor gripe about the pickguard. It's a great color, and more "natural" than the color in the picture.

MovinTarget and stingray69 like this.
  16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Does this kind of look like tort? It's premium drum wrap, but they sell sheets of it for covering pickguards.

20170508_112954-458x458.jpg

Another option is to go with a wood grain like these:

20150608_155959-536x536.jpg

20150910_201144-458x458.jpg

20161011_133122-730x730.jpg

Erik Asma and MovinTarget like this.
  17. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Yeah, I keep both a cable with one straight plug and one L plug and one with 2 straight plugs in my gadget bag, and when I play my HB enhanced basses, I have to use the one with 2 straight plugs.

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, I might do that but I don't like it. Maybe it's silly but I'm super used to using the L connector and threading my cord over my strap so the cable doesn't get pulled out. Then I stand there like Entwistle and never move around the stage at all...

I could just take the same cord I use with my other basses and plug the straight one in the bass and the L one in my Zoom pedal. Still, something about it is emotionally wrong. Need counseling.

I'm also a public school teacher, we're getting near the end of the year, my students are starting to drift off from their bodies in front of me and I'm getting a little punchy.

Joybass, dabbler and MovinTarget like this.
  19. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I use the exact same kind of cable (straight on 1 end, 45 on the other) and even loop it through the strap in the exact same manner.

I never had a single issue with the 3 Enhanced Series that I owned - no disconnections or snap/crackle/pops whatsoever. I'm thinking you'll be just fine carrying on as normal. :thumbsup:

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    PaleAngel_90 and MovinTarget like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021