I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Probably. I'll find out today when I actually plug in and play.

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Except I meant 90-degree angle, lol.

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    A 73 degree angle and you get less cable strain.

shojii likes this.
  4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Luxuriously Lustrous Drum Wrap

I'm not sure if I'm going to use any of it or just go with a black vinyl, but it looks like good stuff.

The nice thing, I guess, about the finish being so much paler than banana pudding is that I can go with something that isn't black. I'm sure the good folks at HB were just matching the pickguard to the fretboard inlays, but it just doesn't work for the bass.

I might go with something like this:

wych-elm-730x730.jpg 20170508_112954-458x458.jpg

I don't think I'm going with one of the wood grain ones because that looks a bit gimmicky. This one is nice, though:

20161011_133122-730x730.jpg

stingray69 likes this.
  5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This wouldn't be bad either:

Irish-Abalone-730x730.jpg

Attached Files:

Erik Asma, MovinTarget and stingray69 like this.
  6. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The colors look very vibrant - I'll have to peruse the website!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

MovinTarget likes this.
  7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Here a pic of my bass so you can see how pale the cream is:

IMG_20210608_201428.jpg

Not banana pudding at all. Doesn't the pickguard look out of place a bit?

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Played it a bit and I don't think I'm a fan of the preamp. The pickups sound better in passive to my ears. The preamp seems to add distortion to the sound.

Audere would be much better since it would sound passive with the controls all at noon.

I have to decide how many mods I really want to make on this bass, but it needs to sound at least as good as my other basses or it won't get played out.

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This might end up being a Modding project. Really good bones. Once I've smoothed out the fret ends its going to play well. I like the neck profile. I think I might need to shim the neck, but maybe not. Once I add some relief to the neck it should play with some nice low action. I don't know if the pickups are going to be in there for the long haul, though. I might end up replacing them with some Barts - something used out of the classifieds.

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. For those who own both the enhanced MMP and MMJ, could you tell me if they have the same neck profile and if they have the same heel?

I have got only the MMJ and really like the neck, I find it similar to my MiM JB (wich has the most comfortable neck for me). I also have the JB75 but it has a fatter neck wich I'm trying to like but I couldn't so far. So I was wondering if the neck of the MMP is fatter more like a P bass or if it's the same as the other enhanced in the series...

11. My Harley Benton collection has been upgraded again with the arrival of another real beauty. This JB75 with a very nice pau ferro fretboard again was a b-stock deal. Why it had been returned is beyond me, unless its weight was an issue for the original buyer. The only thing it needs is shielding, otherwise it's pristine. For now I only oiled the fretboard and set it up. Unreal, this quality for the (little) money.
    upload_2021-6-9_14-45-35.png

12. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Congrats!

And I know what you mean!

IMGP0166a.jpg

GH van Dijk, MovinTarget and Joybass like this.
  13. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Hello all,
    I haven't found out about this and I apologize if this has been asked already, I reasched but didn't find....

I own a Harley Benton Enhanced MP-4EB Lake Blue which is a lovely instrument I'm happy with. I originally craved the CORT counterpart: the CORT GB74-gig LPB which is bery similar and has the chance to turn the humbucker pickup splittable into single coils.

Is there any chance to modify the HB in a similar way?
    Where do I find the specs/details of what every single knob/switch does in my HB MP-4EB?

Thank you in advance
    Andrea

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Apparently it's a 4-wire pickup so it's possible to split it. I'll be able to tell you for sure in a day or two - I just got mine.

Grufolo and MovinTarget like this.
  15. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    The HB MJ has the push-pull for single or HB I think... Maybe someone can share that schematic. However, it may not be an easy switch if the control is integrated into the preamp...

*however* you might be looking for more... The MP doesn't have a single coil in the neck position so splitting the MM pup to noise cancel isn't necessary.

Consider a 3-way switch so you can solo a pickups or go series or parallel? You would only be able to solo one coil or the other, but it doesn't matter which as much for noise cancellation like the MJ... Personally I'd solo the bridge-side pickup.

This switch could be added w/o taking up too much space (if the cavity allows it), they are pretty cheap and you could keep all your other electronics the same.

Grufolo likes this.
  16. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy

Thanks for the excellent answer(s).
    I am a dummy when it comes to electronics and I'd need to bring that to a luthier, but I need to have everything in mind already when I go there, because luthiers like people who have their mind clear when asking modifications... :D

If splitting is an option, having a 3 way (each single coil individually plus both) would fit nicely with the possibility to blend in the split-coil at the neck... the Cort GB74-GIG bass does it, I guess this can be done in the HB too?

17. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    This is going to be up to your tastes, with a splittable humbucker you have at least 5 "common" options with the 5th one being the least used, but still out there:
    1. Solo Coil A
    2. Solo Coil B
    3. Both Coils in Series
    4. Both Coils in Parallel
    5. Reverse phase (really this could be any of the above in reverse phase, most don't use it)

The question is, which 3 give you the most best diversity?

Coil A and Coil B *might* sound very similar, or maybe different since they are spread more than a conventional HB. Also, either will give you a single coil Hum since neither will noise cancel with the split coil.

This is why I was thinking included the Series and Parallel as they have some notable differences in sound from one another *and* will noise cancel themselves.

Reverse phasing the coil may give you some... interesting output. Often described a very weak sounding.

All this is contingent on having the space to add the switch in the cavity, in a location that won't be in your way when playing.

Stuff to consider...

Grufolo likes this.
  18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I just got the MP version and it has a 1.5" nut and a nice neck profile.

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    HB MP Enhanced progress: I just finished rounding off all the fret ends and smoothing the tops of the fret ends with three different levels of micro mesh. They're nice and smooth for easier playing. I also put a layer of Howard feed n' wax and the ebony was thirsty! I tried shimming the neck with two and then one layer of business card since the E bridge saddle is bottomed out, but even with one layer it added too much of an angle and the saddles would be higher than I want them to be. It'll work out fine, I think the action is pretty much where I want it to be.

Tonight I'll dig into the electronics cavity to see how things are there.

MovinTarget and stingray69 like this.
  20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I did the same shim on my Enhanced Series - the bridge they use is solid & good quality, but it definitely has some thickness to the bottom plate.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021