I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Yeah that screams tort. I sprayed one cream and out a tort plate on item it looks superb against the cream.

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm going to have to see how it plays without the shim. I don't mind bottomed out saddles if the string height is right. I was surprised at how much of a difference one layer of business card made! If I add a shim I'll probably go with tape layers instead.

MovinTarget and stingray69 like this.
  3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Right? It's the perfect shade of white for tort - but it has to be the right brown tort. Unfortunately, this pickguard isn't the same shape as any tort guards I'm finding.

Erik Asma and MovinTarget like this.
  4. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    Get a blank from Ali. Use this one as a template, just trace it with a marker and jigsaw away.
    Go easy with a blade for metal. You can fine-tune it with a file and sandpaper.

The round parts where the pickups sit, those ears where the dress go through? Drill those first at the correct diameter. Then cut from there.

Practice one on other material first if you are inexperienced. Thin MDF or something.
    I made several already and though never perfect they look great.

Once shaped and sized up against the old one which remains intact offcourse. You mark the drill holes. And use a sinker drill once drilled through.
    Those always are a little off. So put sticks in the holes in the body and then just screw my screws in.

Or ask someone to do this for you. After getting a blank from Ali. They got them at 40cmx29cm which is large enough for any model.
    In several shades of tort. Reddish or brownish.

MovinTarget likes this.
  5. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Apologies in advance for the non-HB content
    Pbass.jpg

Here's what I've done with my Olympic white Pbass which I think is rather similar to yours. Sorry for the quick and dirty photo, but I took it with a flash, because it was looking..errm.. Banana Pudding with the lights my wife is using. I can't seem to find this selection of PG material anywhere anymore though..

Volker Kirstein and MovinTarget like this.
  6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I think I'm going to get a nice multilayer tort replacement pickguard because I'm a sucker for tort and vintage white/cream/olympic white. Something like this:

upload_2021-6-10_0-19-54.png

I'm goin to get it with only three holes, though, and go with a passive V/B/T setup with 500k pots to get full range out of the pickups. I don't often use the super nice preamps in my other two basses - I'm probably not going to be using the EQ on this cheapy preamp.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Definitely what I want to go with, but a browner color.

8. Actually the push/pull is for active/passive, and then there is a mini switch for splitting the MM HB to a single coil so you end up having a sort of a jazz bass.

In the MP there isn't the mini switch for splitting the HB but you can add that with a bit of drilling and resoldering.

For other options and combinations you could also replace the balance pot with a 5 or 6 way rotary switch (so that you can use the knob you already have).
    For example:
    1- Bridge HB in series
    2- Bridge HB in parallel
    3- Bridge HB in series + Neck (all in series)
    4- Bridge HB in parallel + Neck (all in parallel)
    5- Bridge splittet + Neck (all in parallel) (basically a PJ)
    6- Neck only

The combinations are infinite...

Grufolo and MovinTarget like this.
  9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've been looking to get a tort guard made for this bass, but I just can't stomach paying upwards of $100 for vanity. I think I'm going to cover the surface of the guard in black vinyl which will look good against the white finish.

I'm also going to pull the preamp and go passive with 500k pots. Four controls so I can use the same knobs and pickguard. Controls will be volume with a push/push pot so I can wire the neck pup series/parallel, blend control. tone control and a 5-2ay rotary switch to make the MM series/north coil/parallel/south coil/series reverse phase.

WD1H5R11_00_WB__79869.1487795973.jpg

MovinTarget and Tmw2011 like this.
  10. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    There are a few cheap MM pickups on AliExpress/Wish that apparently sound pretty nice. However, that GFS MM pup sounds EXCELLENT and it's a pretty awesome bang for your buck. Might as well spend the extra $15 on the GFS one and get it in a week instead of a month and a half.

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I bought this and I'll be installing it soon. I'll let you know how it sounds. The DCR is twice that of the stock pickup, so we'll see what difference that actually makes. This pup got good ratings on Amazon, though.

upload_2021-6-10_13-57-11.png

I had thought about the GFS version, but I thought I would give this cheaper version a shot.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    MovinTarget and Tmw2011 like this.
  12. Is the DCR given for stock pickup not per coil ?

MovinTarget likes this.
  13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have no idea, they just list the DCR without context. Here's the info from the Roswell pickups site for the MM in the MM/P version:
    upload_2021-6-10_14-39-4.png

And for the one in the MM/J version:
    upload_2021-6-10_14-40-32.png

and for the one I bought on Amazon:
    upload_2021-6-10_14-42-1.png

The one I bought on Amazon is wired in series. I have yet to look in the control cavity of my MM/P HB bass to see if the stock one is wired in series as well. If it is then the DCR of the new pup is more than twice the DCR of the stock one.

Interesting/funny that both of the Roswell descriptions show a diagram giving relative bass, mid and treble responses and both show them maxed.

Volker Kirstein and MovinTarget like this.
  14. Seymour Duncan also list their MM's per coil, makes sense since parallel was a Stingray thing.

Note how low the DCR is for ceramic as compared to Alnico. Prepare to have your socks blown off by that 11k humbucker you have coming :thumbsup:
    Seymour MMs.jpg

subdude67 and MovinTarget like this.
  15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Interesting! I hadn't noticed that the The stock pickup is alnico, but the new one is ceramic and theoretically more powerful. I guess we'll see.

I just want it to tonally match better with the neck pickup. That, and I want to do coil splitting with both the neck pickup and bridge MM and the MM needs to have more output when in single coil than I think the stock one would have.

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Been passed around enough I dunno if it was here where I saw this:
    Luxuriously Lustrous Drum Wrap

17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I so wanted to like a pattern on that site, but I couldn't find one I wanted to use.

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I found this one, but I'm just not sure if I'd like it with this bass:

20170508_112954-458x458-jpg.jpg

It's kind of torty, but it's also kind of barfy.

If they had a nice black pearl I might have gone for that:

black-pearl-wh-bk-wh-jzm-fnd.jpg

Instead, I'm going to try this stuff off Amazon to make it plain black on top:

Black vinyl.jpg

MovinTarget likes this.
  19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Do you have a link to these please?

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021