I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I don't see anything vaguely BC Ricish, I've also never heard anyone describe the Peavey Millennium tone as "vintage".

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Compared to the Cirrus, Millenniums are more vintage. I guess it's more modern than some, but it's just an MM/J bass.

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I'm with ya.

heb9_28 and MovinTarget like this.
  4. It has been done better...
    preview.jpg

5. Funky40

Funky40

Apr 16, 2021
    Switzerland
    perfectly well put.

oyobass and MovinTarget like this.
  6. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    And the only thing it says to us lefties is something that would get me banned for repeating it.

GH van Dijk and MovinTarget like this.
  7. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Seriously, would it be so difficult to design an instrument that, at worst, could be manually reversible so that a lefty could have all the same options? I'm not a lefty but I get it.

PaleAngel_90 likes this.
  8. It's not that difficult to machine.

Trouble lies in the market. With right handed players probably 90% want a FSO, left hand players I imagine are much the same. With factories knocking out 500 units per day , how long would it take the big T to move lefty versions of these new models ?

They are not going to reset the machines for half a day's production.

Like everything in life it comes down to the $ :(

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. Timmy Liam

Timmy Liam

Jan 23, 2018
    Florida
    Has anyone here owned or played a TB-70 SBK? Any idea on approximate weight? The videos I've seen are interesting but so far haven't seen one in real life.

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    What I mean is, could they build a single instrument that be shipped right handed, but if desired, and a little effort, could be taken apart and reassembled as a lefty?

I understand that some decades-old conventions would have to go out the window, but how much?

PaleAngel_90 likes this.
  11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Lefties, do this:

DovesDD170910-2.jpg

51331303.jpg

12. Easiest design would have symmetrical body ( think blank EB-1 or Beat Bass), 2+2 peghead, a zero fret (nut only spaces the strings). Jack socket integral with strap button, external pots ( clipped to strap or in pedal form).

You would count sales in handfuls.

MovinTarget and GH van Dijk like this.
  13. I am a righty but is this much of an inconvenience? Considering you can take off the knobs and reverse the strings. I have never tried playing a lefty bass the 'right' way, so, just wondering.

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. @Joybass
    For a start the balance is shot to hell .

GH van Dijk and MovinTarget like this.
  15. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    And pots are not positioned conveniently

16. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    If its only claim was being reversible, yeah, you're right.
    I was thinking in terms a package that had features where this would be just one more desirable aspect.

17. Fowler

Fowler

Apr 26, 2020
    Some random lefty thoughts, not really aimed at anyone. Just throwing them out there.

There's no real "reset the machine" these days. It's CNC. You toss a blank in, the program runs, a body is spit out. At most you're loading in a "new" program which is just the same as the right-handed one, but flipped in your software.I've taken right handed files, flipped them and loaded them in to a laser cutter and CNC. It takes seconds. For manual routing templates I've just used right-handed ones upside down.

These days it's slightly better as a lefty than it used to be. Now we have the internet instead of music stores which may or may not have one generic, black coloured, cheapo instrument hidden somewhere. Still it's frustrating when there's a new lineup released and there's 10 different colour options right-handed and zero left-handed.

As far as learning right-handed is concerned, I tried when I started out. After a few months of sucking hard, feeling as awkward as hell and nearly giving up through sheer frustration, I had the strings flipped. In two weeks I was playing better left-handed.

Regarding market demand, there's a self fulfilling prophecy at work here. They don't make the instruments and people either give up or manage to play upside-down or right-handed. Then they don't buy left-handed instruments and the lack of demand from these left-handed people is pointed out as a reason to not make left-handed instruments.

18. @MovinTarget

Basses with swappable pairts rarely sell well I remember one came with oth fretted and fretless necks.

Folk Juist bought the fretted version.

MovinTarget likes this.
  19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I hate to say it to the lefties, but this is simple economics. 10 - 12% of the world population are lefties. It would be good for manufacturers to offer more bass options in left handed versions, but at worst they're risking ticking off 10% of their possible buyers.

But, lefties are the only ones in their right mind - you've got that going for you!

PaleAngel_90 and MovinTarget like this.
  20. mromag

mromag

Apr 10, 2020
    as owner of MM-84A I wish to swap the neck humbacker with a split coil, does anybody tried something similar ?
    Or have some suggestions

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021