I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. magenta

magenta

May 12, 2021
    Italy
    I just purchased a JB-20 but am thinking of returning it from Thomann to purchase a JB-75.

In terms of sound quality, pickups and hardware, is there much difference between the two models or is it not noticeable with an average amp, especially if you are a beginner bass player who plays mostly alone in the bedroom?

Is the weight of the latest manufactured batches of the JB-75 still around 12 lbs? JB-20 is very light.

For those who have been able to play with both models, are there noticeable differences with the neck and fretboard as well?

Erik Asma and MovinTarget like this.
  2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Anybody here swap out the stock HB tuners for Hipshot Ultralites?

How much weight did it shave off vs the stock tuners?

My HB bass weighs 9.6 lbs and I'd like to get it down to 9 if possible.

Erik Asma likes this.
  3. I've never saw the point but I understand folks looking to reduce weight.

Just weighed a tuner from 2 different HB basses. Scientific method of kitchen scales gave 51g for each inc the bushing.

Hipshot website gives the weight of their Ultralite as 1.8oz each , in real money that's 51g.

The only thing you'll be reducing is your bank balance :thumbsup:

Ultralites work great if you own a Fender with the solid Schaller tuners, zero benefit to HB owners.

PaleAngel_90 likes this.
  4. JB-75 has alnico slugs in the pickup, warmer more mellow tone than the ceramic in the JB-20.

Brass saddles on the 75 bridge, some folks claim these increase "sustain". Some folks also claim Elvis is alive :)

You'd be hard pressed to find tulipwood as heavy as ash so my guess is the JB-75 will be heavier than your 20.

Fretboard material is mostly down to taste, Pau Ferro and Purpleheart weigh roughly the same. Purpleheart though is much harder.

There is a difference but under bedroom conditions, I doubt you'd notice them :thumbsup:

Gothic and MovinTarget like this.
  5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks for doing that! Bummer, I was hoping that was a potential path to lightening things up. I have liked these tuners on every G&L Tribute bass I've owned, so they're fine.

I would route out wood under the pickguard, but the balance is good right now, so I don't want to introduce neck dive.

I had thought they made the body wider at the butt end that the original Sandberg basses, but they were the same way. It's not on obnoxiously heavy, but I was hoping there was an easy fix.

Lighter would be easier on my shoulder. I don't need feather weight, but lighter would be better.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    MovinTarget likes this.
  6. Are the knobs solid ?
    The old Peavey knobs were easy 1oz each so maybe switching to aluminum with plastic inners would shave off something.
    If you're playing passive, remove the 9v altogether.

MovinTarget likes this.
  7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The knobs are solid, but they only weigh in at about 0.2 lbs according to the bathroom scale method. I had thought about going passive but just installed an Audere 4-band preamp into this bass.

I might go back to the passive idea, though, and return the preamp. I don't know that it would shave off much weight, though. Go from solid metal knobs to hollow ones, ditch the 9v and maybe I'm right around 9 lbs? I'm not sure the loss of 5 oz of weight is worth the loss of tonal flexibility.

At the same time, though, I have an Audere on another bass and usually play with everything flat with that one. Maybe I'm spending $153 for a bunch of tonal flex that I'm not going to use when I could spend $50 for what I'm going to actually use and get lighter.

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. Hate say this but thing I've noticed over the years is folks generally find a tone that works and stick with it, makes life easier on the sound man too.

Took me a long time to get that through my skull :thumbsup:

9. I own both and I have certainly noted a few differences, some of which were mentioned before.
    The ash body of the '75 is *much* heavier than the poplar of the '20. Could easily be problematic with multi-hour gigs. The neck of the '20 is to my feel a bit slimmer. The alnico Roswell pickups of the '75 are louder and punchier than the no-name ceramic pickups of the '20, compared at similar amp levels. The rest of the hardware is comparable or the same, except for the brass saddles, IMO indeed mostly an optical difference.

In my case the fretwork on the JB20 was perfectly level but had sharp fret ends, the frets of the JB75(s) I own were not sharp but needed work to get them buzz-free. I replaced the pickups of the '20 with alnico Wilkinsons that are mellower but hardly any louder, but that is what amps are for. On both types the nut needed work because the first fret action was (way) too high. Both types also needed the neck to be shimmed a bit because the string action I prefer caused the saddle height to get too low (to my taste).

So, which one to choose? If weight is an issue, the JB20. Otherwise the JB75. IMO, obviously. Both needed some TLC to get the playability the way I like it, but that is a personal thing. If you are a bit demanding in that area, like me, but don't want to or are not able to do the work, you will need a guitar tech or shop for higher class brands.

10. It's funny, because my JB75 has the quietest PUs of all my basses, and by a lot...

I don't have a JB20 though

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I had the old JB-75 with the Wilkinsons. That bass was nice BUT it had its shortcomings. Needed a fret job out and a shim out of the box. The frets were also so damn soft it was unbelievable how fast they wore. Pickups were very nice indeed and, wired in series, it was a beast. But, sadly, it was also a beast weight wise. Mine was about 6kg and gigging with it became an issue after a certain point. Now, like @kodiakblair , I didn't really get the weight thing before that. I was just "man up". Right now, being a few days before spine surgery, I wouldn't even consider the 75! If weight really is an issue, go for something else. Whatever you do, you just won't be able to remove 2kgs off the bass!

kodiakblair and MovinTarget like this.
  12. Never have truer words been said.

Folks waste so much time, money and mental energy over the weight of some basses. A bass is an inanimate object, it can't go on a diet and as @Gothic rightly said nothing you do will reduce the weight by any real margin.

I've saw folks post 9.5 lbs is too much but 9 lbs is OK. Personally I think they are kidding themselves, 1/2 lb is a can of cola with 3 mouthfuls taken. If that little is make or break, better look for 8.5 lb basses.

Gothic, heb9_28 and MovinTarget like this.
  13. Thebrownarrow

Thebrownarrow

Jul 23, 2011
    How are the necks on the P basses? I have read that they are chunky. Are they like SX p bass necks?

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. Compared to an' Ibanez they are chunky, against an' old Fender they are not that chunky.

15. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I've got the PB-20 and, while some people have described the neck as "chunky", I'd say it's pretty average. It's not an ibanez or a jazz but it's not that chunky. If anything, I wish it were thicker. As always, YMMV. On the other hand, the JB75 neck really is chunkier than your average J.

16. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    I have found that my JB75 neck definitely feels chunky compared to other jazz basses I've had. I don't *dislike* it, but I do generally prefer a narrower jazz neck. The neck on my CIC Squier Classic Vibe 60s jazz was amazing, I regret letting that bass go.

Gothic, Thebrownarrow and MovinTarget like this.
  17. MovinTarget likes this.
  18. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    Just noticed on the Thomann website. Looked like all the prices had gone up but everything is back to being listed with prices including VAT. Free postage from 149 pounds and up. So no more guessing what the courier will stiff us in charges. Well done Thomann for expending the effort to fix this for us in the UK. I can look at their more expensive stuff again. Now if only they did more of it in lefty...

MovinTarget likes this.
  19. Thomann were waiting on the IOSS regs coming into force 01/07/21.

BAX, G4M and DV 24-7 didn't wait so while they picked up sales they also got UK customers complaining about their orders shipping from Germany and the hassles should they need to return their order.

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. Hi y’all!
    I’ve had my Harley for a few weeks now. There is a lot i like about it.. stainless frets, ebony fret board, hardware it nice, tuners work well and now im on my 2nd set of strings. Stock strings weren’t anything to write home about so i went to my old faithful EB slinkies. Those were much better! Now Im trying funkmasters. (Recommended by glarry club members.. @MovinTarget knows what im talking about)
    I like the ss strings on the ss frets.
    84C5A0AE-F5E4-4877-B7DD-0BC97C1E2398.jpeg Anyway, im starting to bond a bit with This tank of a bass now. Typically i mod the heck out of my basses but this one doesn’t seem to want to be messed with(yet).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021