I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    Leaks less and breaks down less than a Harley Davidson~

Clank Plank, oyobass and MovinTarget like this.
  2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    How does this look? I'm thinking of installing a 3-band preamp which would need another knob.

IMG_20210803_091205.jpg

Erik Asma and MovinTarget like this.
  3. 5 knobs look fine.
    The mini switch positions wouldn't have been my choice.

MovinTarget likes this.
  4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I put the switches there with four knobs. If I add the fifth knob I'd move them forward and there would be three.

Mainly just wondering how that 5th knob would look in that spot. I'm trying to decide between a 2 and 3 band preamp.

MovinTarget likes this.
  5. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Stacked pots not an option?

MuthaFunk and RumbleBot like this.
  6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I could go that way. I prefer single knob controls. I could have it be volume/blend and then treble, middle, bass.

Erik Asma and MovinTarget like this.
  7. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    That makes the most sense to me, and would look the best I think.

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Meh, I'm going with the
    I'm just going to go with the 2-band and keep it four knobs. I have an Audere 3-band in another bass and I rarely mess with the mids. This HB isn't missing anything in the mids anyway!

heb9_28 and MovinTarget like this.
  9. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Hello, I just got a HB MB-4 in satin black and I’m so happy with it that I’m probably going to get the P bass version in satin black, too!

Question about the Thomann cases/bags - does anyone know if they ship the instrument IN the gig bag/case or are they shipped out separately? I would guess together but I have no idea if they have multiple locations they ship from or whatever. The gig bags look like a good value that also wouldn’t add too much to the shipping cost to the US. Thanks for any input!

Oh and let’s not forget the MB pics!

C060824A-3191-486A-A08E-A509EBF28FDF.jpeg AB319314-3499-4B51-8821-37B78FDDAF07.jpeg FDF22FEE-ABDE-4899-BA8D-FA3DE03C3D85.jpeg

10. In Europe.
    No, they don't ship the basses in the gigbags.

Basses in gigbags are not covered by courier insurance. Unboxing flaws would also be difficult to claim for, did the instrument leave the factory damaged or did it occur in the warehouse packing ?
    Basses come from one end of the warehouse, gigbags from another end. Both go in the big T box.
    Thomann box.jpg

These are quite large boxes :thumbsup:

It would add nothing to the shipping costs. Americans pay a flat fee per order , not per item.

Alembic83 and MovinTarget like this.
  11. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yeah they ship in a very large box. UPS utterly f...d mine. And I mean F...D. This is ridiculous. This is how my bass was delivered. F....g UPS.
    Excuse the (veiled) salty language but... damn!

ups.jpg

12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I see the sticker saying "Please use this for kendo practice" has now fallen off.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    That's stunning. Oh, so tempting. That's passive, but sticking a preamp in and changing the knobs around would probably work, but then for my purposes I have an three-band external preamp (I have several, but one on a belt clip) I built, in the sense of into the box. Currently broken, however!

I'd have to kick out a bass to make space, probably the bitzer jazz that is currently my GK-2B (never got as far as -3B) bass. I didn't mind drilling holes for the pickup mounting on a bits bass, but I might on that. The control unit I simply hung off the bass as there's a screw hole in the control unit and I put a screw longer than the control plate one and reused a Jazz bass control plate screw hole. There's just enough space to still get the jack plug in.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Dual concentrics are your friend.

Ditto push-push or push-pull (for ones not dual concentric).

I favour push-push as then you don't inadvertently pull the knob off if it's loose for those that secure with a screw. Push fit knobs you'd have to almost haul the pot out of the bass for it to be an issue in most cases.

Gothic likes this.
  15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    As noted, I'd go with push-pull/push knobs. Looks neater.

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Dual concentric bass/treble and separate mid?

I had a Fender cowpoke and that had concentric bass/treble and concentric blend/volume. Worked well on two shafts. Wish I'd kept it :(. So much...

MovinTarget likes this.
  17. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Wow! It looks like a UPS truck ran over the box! Did the bass survive?? My box arrived with minimal damage but your photo is one of the reasons I was exploring having a bass shipped in a case!

MovinTarget likes this.
  18. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yeah, looks like they dragged it behind the truck all the way from Germany to Greece.

Bass was relatively ok. Some very small dings and probably a hit that screwed up a machine head but otherwise, ok. I kept it and they sent me a replacement tuner, too, so... I'm fairly certain this wasn't Thomann's original packaging. No Thomann markings on it whatsoever and it's the first time I'm seeing a plain cardboard box from Thomann.
    My guess is, they probably f...d the original box even worse and used whatever they had on hand and a truckload of clear tape. This box also had just a couple of small pieces of scrunched up paper inside and the bass' box was just tumbling around inside there. No bubble thingy or any other kind of protection.
    I'm telling you, UPS is THE worst and I shouldn't have accepted it. So much so that I'm seriously considering refraining from ordering from Thomann again unless they offer shipping with a different company. UPS' gross incompetence and total disregard for the package's contents is nothing sort of astonishing!

Aaaanyway, getting back to the thread's subject... I'm really gassing for lots of HB's right now. An MB, that interesting beast the TB-70, a jazz kit perhaps...

MovinTarget likes this.
  19. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    The box I got my HB in looks like yours - plain and no markings (minus all that damage), and the bass itself was in a triangle shaped box. Was yours as well? I kind of feel like I dodged a shipping bullet which is why I contacted Thomann about possibly shipping in a hard case if I order the black satin P bass.

MovinTarget and Gothic like this.
  20. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yeah, it was in its own factory box. I don't know if they ship in cases but oh well.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021