I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    Looking forward to hear your opinion on the Warman. I had a set of Wilkinsons in my PB20 and there was nothing wrong with them, I bought the Warman's on a whim when ordering another pickup precisely becaus it is so reasonably priced. I'm very happy I did!

MovinTarget likes this.
  2. neutron619

neutron619

Jul 12, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Happy to report back. :)

When I've had a chance to play around a bit, I'll add my comments and post the spectra. I've already done the stock pickups (which I'd still like to identify if anyone has any ideas) so once it's all sorted I can post up the two specs, the FTs and some sound files and we can see what difference the new pups made.

I figure if I put it all here, someone might come looking for the same answers in years to come and I'll save them some time.

Thanks again.

Maartenaerts and MovinTarget like this.
  3. Definitely a difference yes. For example for me flatwounds are very dark and fat, perfect for the classic PB sound and awful for slapping (unless you want that kind of sound of course...I'm always speaking about my ears and what in my head should sound a slapping bass). So if a split-p PU only, is the first step to go away from the classic slap sound, the flatwounds are the second step.

For me the classic slap sound is the one from the 70s funky music, snappy and crisp. Or like the sound of Flea of RHCP, Marcus Miller, Larry Graham...the list goes on and the majority of the famous slappers don't use a P bass or flatwounds....

Always remember: in music there is no "wrong", there's "different".

The only exception is when you want to "copy" the sound of someone else. In that case you have a reference so there are a lot of ways you could go very far from that!

Glad I was helpful btw..

instrumentalist and MovinTarget like this.
  4. 7.8k Ohms is low for ALNICO 5 pickups , I'd say not too bad for pickups with ceramic magnets. The Seymour Duncan ceramic soapbars are 6.3k neck / 7.3k bridge. Due to the stronger cermanic magnets they generally use less wire.

All DCR readings do is measure resistance, they have very little bearing on how a pickup sounds.

Caridorc, dabbler and MovinTarget like this.
  5. GusG

GusG

Jul 6, 2016
    London
    Slightly off subject because theyre not on a bass, but - a little bit of cheerleading for Warman. I recently put together a partscaster Tele' which came pre-loaded with a set of Warman pickups. They're really, really good.
    Based on that experience I'd be more than happy to try out their bass pickups.

MovinTarget and subdude67 like this.
  6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm on the fence now about the project, but if I do it I'll probably go with that brand. Thanks!

7. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    After some days of playing and letting the guitar and strings settle, I did a fine tuning of the setup today.
    I now have the action low and nice without any fret buzz and it plays so much better now than before.

Crosslinking to the DIY kits thread: being able to do a full (fret level and) setup of your bass yourself really is a valuable skill.
    Getting your bass playing just how you like it can make a big much difference.

MovinTarget likes this.
  8. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    It is a satisfying skill set that will save you money and turn mediocre instruments into players.

eric_B likes this.
  9. Im back,
    I got 2 new Harleys. One for me and one for a buddy... both mod projects.
    DAB8E97D-2724-4F02-833B-4A8D6008FF77.jpeg

So far ive been playing around with the shorty.
    Step 1, make it look cooler
    80BD9BFC-3F77-4C74-A606-F009EF5E0B40.jpeg B1F88FE3-BA9F-44D5-9E21-50E6558F4ED6.jpeg
    Step 2 will be to change the pots and the pickup but i want to record a bit with it stock first.

Supadope, GH van Dijk and MovinTarget like this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Looks great! A A A A ND, I love your 2 piece pickguard!

One of the things I love about my Js is that I can easily get to the control components when I want/need to. Did you cut up a regular guard or make one from scratch?

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. Thanks!
    Its from scratch, i used the original as the template and routed it... the bearing got hot and melted a bit of the original but i got through it and A little sanding smoothed it out, I still need to work out a couple rough spots.
    The separate control plate should make it convenient for the rest of the electronics mods.
    I thought about doing the separate plate anyway but i had 2 pieces of scrap that worked out for this so , win win!

12. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Absolutely. Probably most basses (either brand new or used) can benefit from a proper setup.
    I didn't realize that when I started playing my first bass (a new 70s Squier) and just assumed it played that way while it could be set up much better.

And it doesn't take much tools: a set of hex keys, feeler gauges and a good ruler.

MovinTarget likes this.
  13. Anyone have suggestions for direct replacement tuners for the standard open gear stock ones?
    Are they the same size mounting plate as fender?... I don’t care about weight, just better quality.
    I don’t mind re drilling screw holes but i dont want the original ones to show.

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. All I know is they don't have the same mounting plates as any other brand. I found this out when I wanted a D-Tuner for my PB50. There was no direct match.
    So some drilling will be unavoidable.

MovinTarget and Dubious Aa like this.
  15. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Looks great! I saw the Rainier can and thought, "Wait a minute...". I didn't realize we're practically neighbors!

Dubious Aa likes this.
  16. Darn near:cool:

MovinTarget likes this.
  17. neutron619

neutron619

Jul 12, 2019
    United Kingdom
    It's really late so I'm not going to do a post with all my findings / analysis this evening, but the Warman pickups arrived today, along with a replacement string for a set of Roto 77's I wanted to try on the P-Bass again.

I'll do a proper write-up tomorrow, but I have to say I'm impressed by the Warman pickup. Really impressed.

I've only tested with headphones so far, but it's got a very smooth, clean, rounded sound with none of the "hollowness" of the stock pickup and that's with the Rotos, which I usually find glassy / hollow anyway. It makes a pleasing sound at both ends of the tone pot and there's a sweet spot around 80% of the way up but it's hard to hit (I'm thinking a linear pot would give a bit more control here).

I'll change it over to the Pro Steels tomorrow to do an A-B comparison of those and I have a nagging feeling that a set of light gauge nickels might sound really good, although if I'm going to keep using it for slap, I probably want the brightness of the Pro Steels.

Anyway - more to follow, but thanks to all who encouraged me to experiment. I was a sceptic first - it's just a coil of wire, right? - but the result is good and I'm a convert. Much appreciated! :)

eric_B, subdude67 and MovinTarget like this.
  18. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    ....told you!:D

MovinTarget and kodiakblair like this.
  19. neutron619

neutron619

Jul 12, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I think I might have to do this in a few parts as I've still got some sound clips to record as examples, but I thought I'd start by sharing a handful of spectra and some early observations.

The first observation would be to say that there isn't a massive difference between the two pickups in overall tone, although it is detectable, but that the cleanliness and warmth of the tone from the Warman pickup is noticeable.

If you look at the two spectra below, it's clear that the stock pickup is producing quite a lot of inharmonic content, whereas the Warman pickup is essentially free from that. The stock pickup seems also to have two overall frequency peaks - one around the 2nd harmonic and the second around the other around the 8th. The Warman pickup seems to be centered around the 2nd-4th harmonics and to tail off pretty smoothly with a bias towards odd harmonics. I suspect that in the former case this is the source of the relative "hollowness" of tone and warmth in the Warman tone.

Both spectra / sound files are using an HB P-Bass kit in stock configuration except that the strings are D'Addario Pro Steels 40-60-75-95. Recorded is the open A string, tone control all the way up, with frequency analysis done after the attack transient has completed.

Edit: I'm not sure the MP3 compression here is really helping the differentiation between the two tones - but the forum won't let me post the full wave, so I guess I'll have to hope that anyone who listens can pick out the difference I'm trying to highlight.

Stock Pickup:
    upload_2021-10-9_13-48-34.png

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...9/?temp_hash=d8b81a8ad2a167c43b5893391b228f38

Warman Pickup:
    upload_2021-10-9_14-0-3.png

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...0/?temp_hash=d8b81a8ad2a167c43b5893391b228f38

The latter pickup shows slightly less upper harmonic content, as you'd expect with the slightly higher resistance, all other things being equal.

Overall, although there's not a huge difference between them, the Warman sound is much more pleasing to the ear, and - it has to be said - the Pro Steels sound a lot better for slap than they did with the stock pickup. I'll try to record it again later to demonstrate that.

In case anyone is still here reading at this point, the spectra below are the equivalent spectra for the Roto 77s. Since I really like the tone with both of them, I think the only option is to buy another P-Bass, pickup and have the choice of them....! :)

Stock Pickup:
    upload_2021-10-9_14-4-9.png

Warman Pickup:
    upload_2021-10-9_14-4-32.png

Attached Files:

20. I didn’t get fancy or scientific but i did make this comparison.
    I got keyed on to Oripure pickups from the Glarry club
    I decided to use them on my HB shorty.
    Im curious what opinions come out of this club (about the pickups, not my playing ;) )
    Full on tone for the 3 clips
    Also played with pick... thats just what i do.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    MovinTarget and Joybass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021