I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. The oripure sounds clearer, less muffled, than the stock pickups. A more open, better, P-bass sound. The difference between the 250 and 500 kohm pots.... can't really hear any. Nice playing btw.

Dubious Aa and MovinTarget like this.
  2. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I have a PB-20 SBK on its way, along with a Dimarzio DP-122 and a set of DR Black Beauties. Crossing fingers that I don't get a lemon!

I did own a Harley Benton AEB back in 2006-7 or so, it was really good for the price. My daughter got a second hand PB (3/4 size or so) that is rather crappy.

jastraw and MovinTarget like this.
  3. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    After carefully checking that everything was in stock, I placed the order yesterday. Today I noticed it wasn't sent, and what do you know: the DP122 was out of stock. Fingers crossed it will be back in stock before too long, but it may be weeks.

MovinTarget likes this.
  4. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi

Apr 2, 2020
    Wanted to order a PB-Shorty and do a few DIY tweaks, but the shipping rate made me hesitate. So then I thought of adding their fretless JB for more bass sounds covered; actually looks nice and reviews are good. Altogether the pair comes to a few hundred bucks- not bad, but wondering if at $300-400 I'm not better off getting a better quality bass?

I'm a guitarist looking to pick up a $ bass for some jazz, folk and rock gigs. I used to have a MIM Jazz Deluxe that I thought was OK. I have high standards for my guitars (Suhr, Gibson, Kiesel, etc.), so part of me just wants to at least get a MIJ Jazz or Sire.

Long story short, do you guys like these HBs cause they're actually really good instruments with a few tweaks (as in better than Squier CV or even MIM), or just because they're cheap as hell?

MovinTarget likes this.
  5. There's your answer.

6. GH van Dijk

GH van Dijk

Feb 12, 2019
    Earth
    I really like my HB's but my Sire's are no 1. I have 4, 3 first gen (alder/rosewood, ash/maple, ash/maple fretless) and 1 2nd gen (alder/maple,red). I also had a Fender Jazz, but I sold it, cuz it couldn't match with the JB75.

shredmiyagi, oyobass and MovinTarget like this.
  7. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Greetings HB friends. I have the matte black Pbass and love the feel, build, and tone of the bass. However I’m getting major buzzing from it, the type that won’t go away even when I touch the strings, bridge, or tuners. Last night at rehearsal I think I even got some electrical current when my playing hand touched the pickup poles.

I also noticed the buzzing stops when I touch the top of my input cable, that seems to ground it oddly.

Is this just a flaw in the matte black pbass, something with the paint on the bridge not grounding it? Or do I have a flaw and need to tear it open? I’m aware of the standard fixes (check the ground wire on the bridge, shielding, etc) but was hoping to hear from other owners if there is a specific issue with this model.

Thanks in advance!

8. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Step one, change cable.
    Step two, change amp. I mean temporarily, don't buy a whole new amp ;)

It might be the bass, it might be something else... I don't think there should be enough juice in a passive instrument to shock your hand when touching the poles.

Dubious Aa likes this.
  9. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    gigged with same amp and cables, different basses this week, no issue. HB Bass has been played with three different cables through a Rumble 800, Rumble 15, and Mustang Micro, all buzz. So those variables have been ruled out.

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This is a passive bass, right? If so, I'd redo the wiring. It definitely sounds like you've got a grounding issue and possibly a wire from the jack touching something inside it shouldn't causing you to get electrical current in the strings.

instrumentalist and MovinTarget like this.
  11. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I didn't mean to come across as Capt. Obvious, it's just the usual bit making sure the easy stuff was checked before performing surgery.:thumbsup:

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA

405BassGuy, bigthemat and MovinTarget like this.
  13. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    If the buzz stops when you touch the cable you have one or several components that are not grounded. You need a multimeter and check the pots, bridge and output jack for continuity. It's a simple fix.

oyobass, MovinTarget and Gothic like this.
  14. Haans

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I read one comment stating that the paint on the bridge prevented the bass from being grounded properly. Try taking the bridge off and remove some paint where the grounding wire touches the bridge. And check that everything is grounded properly in the control cavity.

MovinTarget likes this.
  15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It honestly may be as simple as having the pickguard off when your bass is plugged into your amp and fiddling with the wires. I'll bet it's a cold solder joint or a broken one so that a contact isn't being made.

Me, I'd just go through and resolder the whole thing. Melt the solder connections and let them reform, that way any cold or broken ones would be fixed.

Maybe get some copper foil from Ebay and shield it all.

stingray69 and MovinTarget like this.
  16. salmon256

salmon256

Jul 10, 2021
    NY
    For those who own the Beatbass? What are your thoughts? I'm wanting to get it for Tame Impala and Beatles music but unsure to go with that or maybe Rogue or put up some money for a real Hofner factory line, I heard though the Hofner lesser lines aren't too worth it, and the Beatbass has some more pros for it's price. Thanks for the help!

oyobass and MovinTarget like this.
  17. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I have the Rouge version. It seems to be in a different class from other Rogue instruments. It is one of my favorite basses, this coming from a dedicated 5- and six-string player. I had to unlearn all the fun extended-range shortcuts I had picked up, having not played 4-string for at least 20 years. The Rogue is incredible fun to play and sounds great. I got it on a sale at GC, so it was a no brainer. If you buy from somewhere with a good return policy, it's a zero-risk proposition.
    Start with the least expensive option, send it back if it doesn't meet your needs, but I bet it will. Having quite a few Harley Benton/Thomann store-brand items, the chances are that the Beatbass is pretty amazing as well, but the additional $80 for shipping to the US kinda kills my curiosity about it.
    GC/MF has a sale on the Rogue for $150 if you follow the "ad" links at the top from a Google search, or $230 if you follow the regular search link. Free shipping too.
    Not trying to be an advertisement for GC, I just get excited about good, cheap gear, (which is prolly why I'm subscribed to the HB part of this forum, lol).

18. @oyobass

You're not plugging GC , you're stating plain old common sense.

Why spend $80 on shipping from Europe when similar products are available in the US , just makes no sense.

dabbler, MovinTarget and oyobass like this.
  19. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I miss Thomann shipping pre-UPS:

Not as clumsy or random as UPS. An elegant shipper, for a more... civilized age ..

20. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I don't think we have a price-point answer to your PB shorty this side of the drink though...

oyobass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021