I own a Harley Benton club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
  2. Just to be clear.

salmon256 was asking about fretted Beat Basses . Paraietta mentioned the fretless HBZ 5 string.

Two different people talking about 2 different basses for different reasons.

The Pearl Jam fella never played a Hofner ,fretted or fretless, or a HBZ so his name being brought up is puzzling.

bpc likes this.
  3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    b6459864891f93e201eb300894a66548.jpg

I saw someone ask about fretless in metal and that's why I mentioned Jeff Ament. It turns out it was in relation to a fretless beatle bass, so my comment didn't apply like I thought. It's okay, though.

instrumentalist, oyobass and bpc like this.
  4. @fourstringbliss

upload_2021-10-15_19-45-19.jpeg

"It turns out it was in relation to a fretless beatle bass,"

Actually in relation to a 'Fretted' beatle bass !

MovinTarget and fourstringbliss like this.
  5. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    There's also this

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbz_2005fl_nt_deluxe_series.htm

I never thought of it as there's no lefty option (grumble, grumble) I've got a righty four string fretted one. it was only £43 as a deko and it looks great on the wall. Really nice bass, small comfortable body, active jazz bass and it's neck thru. I like the matt finish also.

MovinTarget likes this.
  6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    £43 is a good price :) But I presume not actually playable.

MovinTarget likes this.
  7. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    MovinTarget likes this.
  8. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    It is very playable, if you are a righty. I don't know for sure what is supposed to be wrong with it. Neck is straight, electronics work, nut,bridge and tuners are all fine. The only thing I can see that might explain it being a deko is that you can feel the join between some of the laminations on the back of the neck. It could be fixed with a little bit of sanding but I haven't bothered since it is the wrong way round. It is handy to have around in case a visitor wants a play.

Looking at the pictures of the current version, I like the older one better. The single bridge pieces work better visually for me on this bass, like the neck thru Ibanezes. I also think the wood is nicer on the older ones. I don't think mine is mahohany wings but I can't remember.

MovinTarget likes this.
  9. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Maybe I'll look for a deko :).

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Tell me about the Beatbass. I'm thinking I want to add a hollow body and a short scale, and this would fit both bills.

Is it possible to get low action?

How does one adjust the bridge?

Is it neck heavy?

How does it sound?

What are the controls?

Thanks!

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The other option is either the MB4 in sunburst or black. I'm partial to the black one, but I've read that the finish is fragile and the color flakes off the tuners.

MovinTarget likes this.
  12. Nohrellas

Nohrellas

May 11, 2016
    Vienna
    With the Ibanez EHB basses being fairly popular, HB having done headless guitars with the dullahan line, the EHB being built in Indonesia and newer, higher quality HB basses also being built in Indonesia I'm kinda hoping for a sub 500€ headless HB bass. Doesn't need to be fanned fret/multiscale for me personally but I'd take it with fanned frets as well. Seems like the only real option for a headless bass in that price range are Steinberger Spirit basses or the Spade from bootlegger guitars (which is not really available in Europe), so I'm keeping my hopes up for an inexpensive HB bass that fits that niche.

MovinTarget likes this.
  13. Im thinking ...,
    This
    5403FFA4-8F0A-4196-BE65-FCE5705BB999.jpeg
    +
    9A28F8EF-E4EE-4CDC-B763-C927E5FD6293.jpeg F80FC8BA-8E21-4C96-AFF7-A7B929EB8152.jpeg A7F13118-6C01-4AFE-BEC2-DEB4A8133BB6.jpeg 5F7365FC-6E10-486E-9548-F52715D85679.jpeg

Should = something pretty cool.
    (I hope)

14. Makes the pickguard really stand out.

MovinTarget likes this.
  15. That’ll be going too,
    I have glossy black PG material to take its place.;)

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    Uggh. No, and I had to send back the Bass VI that was delivered. In order for Thomann/UPS to file a claim for the lost MM copy, all contents of the shipment had to go back. Now, the Bass VI is back ordered 12-14 weeks. And since they won’t ship until everything on the order is in stock, I will be waiting. What a nightmare.

17. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Wow that sucks

dabbler likes this.
  18. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    I'm still waiting for my PB-20 and some other stuff, but it was being held up from waiting for the DiMarzio DP122 I planned on putting in the bass. Earlier today the expected wait was 1-2 weeks, which I was fine with, but suddenly it changed to 6-8 weeks! I had them add some other stuff to the order, they even offered to split the order at no extra cost and send the pickup when it arrives, but that would mean a double customs fee. I asked them to swap out the DiMarzio for an EMG Geezer Butler and send the order today. Done!

So far I've had three chats with three different customer service reps, and all of them have been stellar. Service-minded, clear communication, helpful in every way, quick to offer solutions. Amazing.

stingray69, eric_B and MovinTarget like this.
  19. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    That seems to happen with a lot of products. I was keeping an eye on an audio interface (Motu M2 or M4) for a while.
    It dropped from 5-7 weeks to 1-2 weeks. Then apparently there wasn't a delivery (nor one expected soon) so the waiting time went back up again. And it happens more than once.

MovinTarget likes this.
  20. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    It seems they are basically really good at updating the lead times. The rep confirmed that the new estimated delivery date from DiMarzio was December 3. Most DiMarzios are sold out at Thomann and most other stores I've checked.

MovinTarget likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021