I pierced my ear 5 days ago and it healed over the ball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Apr 29, 2012.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    so i pierced my ear about 5 days ago and when i woke up this morning it healed over the ball. i broke it through the scab and it bled a little. but now the ball is set into my ear kinda like an inlay and i think its gonna heal over again. i think it was because the ball a friend gave me was too small but does any one know what i should do besides take it out.

2. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Keep it clean and rotate the ball it will heal up.

2465308.jpg

3. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Get a bigger ball and keep it clean. If you're planning to gauge, wait for it to heal and go slow.

4. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    yeah ive started rotating it today and the friend who gave me the little ball is giving me a bigger one tomorrow.

5. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    How large of a needle was it, 18, 16, 12?

6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    If it were me I'd put a ring in with a ball closure. Keep the ball at the bottom of the ring, far away from the hole.

Are you planning to gauge? If so, be very careful at this stage. You've already broken the skin by freeing the ball, and this will create scar tissue which is very difficult to stretch.

I'm not trying to be Miss Negative-Pants, but I've got scarring in one ear lobe hole and it won't gauge now no matter how hard I try. It's not normal for me, as my other ear is at a 1/2"

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    based on personal experience i'd put a (new, sterile obv) ring in and clean it very regularly with hydrogen peroxide solution designed for that purpose...

8. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    no im not gonna gauge and i have no idea what your talking about with the needle sizes

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Erm... you're welcome

And needle sizes is, funnily enough, the size of the needle it was pierced with.

10. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    i used a safety pin so i have no idea also if the earing has a size like i said i didnt buy it so i have no clue

11. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    You used a safety pin? Wow. That was a really good idea.

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Take it out, let it heal, then go to a peircer and get it done right.

13. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    well the only guy i know who let his ear heal realy messed it up and now his ear looks like a piece of colleflower with a marble in it where it was pierced

14. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Safety pin? A big one or a little one?

A big safety pin is about an 18 gauge, but not precise. Bigger number, smaller diameter of hole. 18 gauge is typically what you'll see used mostly for ears and nostril.

If the ball has scabbed over into the hole, the earring you have in there is too small. Replace it as fast as possible. Don't pick at it, but do keep it clean and turned to reduce the likelihood of scar tissue.

Something you should keep an eye out for is allergic reaction. Safety pins contain a high percentage of nickel in the alloy and lots of people are allergic to nickel. Even if you just poked it through and pulled it out, you exposed an open wound to a potential allergen, then immediately plugged up the wound. If it's still icky in a day or two, go get medical treatment so you don't have permanent damage.

If you want it pierced that badly, let it heal up right, then see a professional piercer who uses sterile hollow needles in a sanitized environment.

15. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    it was big safty pin and like ive said i started rotating it and im getting a bigger ball tomoro and i never said it seemed infected or icky

16. Blisterfinger

Blisterfinger

Feb 13, 2011
    Ireland
    Wash it using saline solution and non-scented soap (separately, I guess...) , you can't go wrong with something as simple as these.

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you keep putting hydrogen peroxide on it you will impede any healing that may be taking place and damage the surrounding tissue. You use a saline solution (best) or at the (worst) an alcohol cleaning solution...

but seriously...with a safety pin? Come on now. :rollno:

18. Piercer here. If you're just using your regular earring, it's too short. The stud used for any new earlobe piercing should be 3/8 of an inch long (or 9.5 mm) or more. After two months, you may then switch your jewellery to something shorter. Don't turn/rotate the jewellery, it'll just irritate the crap out of it and swell.

19. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2EkA5aLlF6JQRjcIEJ9JkvSq4EuselAWZ4rPzCZxdYXf2076T7JTYy60lOw.jpg

20. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021