Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I play.... what bass is for me?please help me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by societysfinest, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Ive been playing bass for about a year on my brother's epiphone p-bass copy and i feel i need an upgrade and for the plain purpose of having my own bass. I play mostly punk rock(with a pick), but i am also interested in playing lots of other styles like blues,reggae,and funk(slapping/popping/tapping), i also want to be able to play jazzlines. I am wondering what bass i can get all the sounds i want with. I was thinking along the lines of a fender but maybe im not right. I want to spend somewhere with the top of the range being around 500 bucks.thanks all.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    For that price range you might consider a used American Fender Jazz Bass. They're versatile, easy to buy parts for, and have been used to good effect in all the genres in which you profess an interest.

You might also consider a Musicman Stingray-style bass. Unfortunately I think you'd be hard-pressed to find even a used MM Stingray in your price-range. There are however a number of other basses with a similar pickup and preamp configuration that might fit the bill.

Those are the two directions in which I would go in your situation, hope this helps...

3. thanks but where could i get a MIA jazz for that price?

4. im also lately getting into some solo bass stuff like victor wooten. I just want a bass that can give me sweet tone in the large range of music i enjoy playing.

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You gotta buy used and you gotta be prepared to work at it. Check out every online classified, check the local shops, check eBay. A lot of used instruments are sold on consignment, if you see something just outta your price range that's been in the window for a few months, make an offer, you might very well get it at the price you want. I may be bit off in my figures since I'm converting the currency from Canadian to US, but if you do all that, then I don't think the $500 range is out of the question.

6. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    save a few bucks more for a musicman. You can score a used around $800 most of the time. It'll be worth it. Or you can get a G&l used for a little less.

I've found out through the years that I would've been better saving for the bass I wanted then buying the ones I could afford at the time.

but anyway, play as many as you can before buy and decide for your self.