I played a 6 string in church today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Mar 16, 2003.

1. I played my first ever 6 string in church today.

Well it was my 7 string fretless but 2 minutes before the first song, I was doing a final tune up and my C string snapped. My first string breakage in 21 years playing.

I was not a happy bunny and I was left with Low B, E, A, D, G, !**@, F. I had to do some rapid rethinks for the songs and got through but I do not want to have a similar experiance again in the near future.

:mad: :bassist: :mad:
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Sorry to hear about your string incident.

I don't have much sympathy because you don't exactly have to slum it on that sweet 4 string Smith of yours.
  3. CS

Unfortunately I didn't have the Smith with me so my 7 suddenly became a 5. Next week both basses come to Church!!

I have learnt a lesson

4. How about a backup set of strings? ;)
  5. jimbass55

That would have been the easy and very sensible option but I didn't have enough time to change strings before the service started.

I know it was my own fault for being unprepared but the strings [and bass] were only about a month old and as I had never broken a string before I did not think it would be an issue.

I survived the service and more importantly the lesson is learnt.

6. That was meant to be a nice reply. The thumbs down got in there by accident. USER ERROR!

It has happened to us all. Our singer (and heavy handed strummer) is always breaking strings. Which turns out to be great for the rest of the band because we kick in to Stevie Ray or something similar. This makes him replace his strings fast, because we are stealing the show. And you know how frontmen are.
  7. jimbass55

Thanks for your reply, I read it as a nice one but I think my reply came over a little surly.

The problem with email is expression and meaning often gets lost!

8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The sensible option is to order another Sei 7 with piezo simms etc :meh:
  9. No sympathy...

Why you would ever want to have an extended range "prog-rock" bass in church defies belief! ;) Isn't that the benefit of having seven though - so that if one breaks you've got another 6 to choose from?

So where do you find 7 string sets of flatwounds?
  10. Chris

I like your style and will be showing your very helpful comment to my wife as unbiased advice as to why a spare 7 string bass is a better option than a spare set of strings;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - that was my first thought - but I suppose that anywhere else, there is even more chance of being criticised as a bit of a "twiddler" - not much call for it, in the vast majority of normal gigs these days!!

I wondered where all the old prog-rock fans were hiding out - now I know!! ;)
  12. MKS

Not prog rock, but jazzy versions of songs get done in my church :cool:

I ended up with two basses in one, a straight 5 string and a 1 stringer [F] without the need of a double neck More bass for the £. from the mighty Martin Petersen !:D

:bassist:Jazz on

P.s. How is your extended range 'Nu Metal' Conklin going?;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am verry sorry that happend to you yesterday. My Church Vocalist did not come so that made me a Paul McCartney singing and playing bass,i was pretty nervous. But the show must go on so every one has to do their part. I am so blessed i have never broken a string at mass. I hope things go better this sunday.
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It was a sign from above. The Lord wants you to play a 6 string not a 7 string. :) ;)

Hee hee just joking. Sorry about that. I played my green four string yesterday at Mass for St. Patrick's day. :)
  15. Philbiker

It was a little humbling, because there was another bassist in church, a friend of the keyboard/sax player who came down to hear me so the string break took the wind out of my sails.

Sorta got my priorities a little bit more on track as to why I was there and why I was doing it.:D

Anyway a new C string as well as a complete new set are in the post to me as I write this so next time I will be a little more prepared.

The Smith will also be making the next trip as a spare just in a case.

Complacency and showing off - OUT
    Preperation and right attitude - IN

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Can I get an "Aaaamen" !!??

"Playing for the song....?"
  17. Bruce

Did I say it was a Church of England Church? Presumption methinks;)

18. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Well the C of E can keep them-jazz is a series of wrong notes. (where is it? oh yes ;) )
  19. Well I'm a presbyterian (Church of Scotland) worshipping in a happy-clappy Church of England. What does that make me? Answer: confused.

But I still like jazz. ;)

A couple of weeks back we were playing at the end of service noodling over a couple of chord changes and I managed to get in little bass solo versions of "Loch Lomond" (You take the high road... etc.), "Scotland the Brave" and the theme from Eastenders without anyone noticing. :cool:

PS. I'm getting happier with the 7 string. It's not quite so much of a 6 string bass combined with a 1 string. I'm enjoying throwing chord shapes all over the place though :) Expect solo bass versions of "Birthday" by the Sugarcubes and "Teenage Dirtbag" very soon. :D
  20. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hellbound, I think was the answer you were looking for :D (j/k)