Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played a Bongo yesterday.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyescream, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I always have time to kill before my lesson starts, so usually I go look at the basses and see what's new. Yesterday they had a pewter(ish) colored Bongo 5 with a single pickup. Played it for about 10 minutes.

I was pretty damn impressed. MM pickup positioning takes some getting used to for me, since I like having a pickup under my fingers when I pluck, and I like plucking closer to the neck.

It wasn't at all bad, though. The body, as much as it's shape and design is a subject of much debate, is really comfortable and seems to want to balance pretty well on the knee.

Shame they want about $1,200 more than I have to spend. :)

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The single pickup Bongos seem interesting to me. The pickup placement is probably different from that of the classic Stingray because of the Bongo's two octave neck. I know I really like the double humbucker Bongos I have seen. Like you, I wish I had a few more dollars. :rolleyes:

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd like to play a dual pickup Bongo to see if it's any more comfortable for me to play. I bet it will be.

I'd like to not play any more basses, because I have important things to spend money on (like a new engine), and my self control is shrinking in the face of me getting bored with my Ibanez.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, the fact that the Bongo has a 24 fret neck wouldn't affect placing a pickup in the same sweet spot. And, that, is, indeed, what they did.

Love my Bongos. Plan on getting one more--with the single humbucker.

Do keep in mind, though, that the single humbucker Bongo only comes with a 3 band EQ unless you get piezos, too.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Only? I'm not sure that that's a bad thing. The serious tone-shaping, in my opinion, should come from EQing your amp rig, and the bass is used for little tweaks and such.

Anyway, I liked it, but wanna try one of the two-pickup versions. I'm not at all sure that the MM sound is what I'm going for, but it sure was easy to play (although the action was quite a bit higher than I'd prefer, but I'm not gonna blame that on the bass).

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, when I say "only," I am simply pointing out that one of the big draws TO the Bongo is the 4 band EQ, which is only available on the multi pickup models, for some reason. The ability to mix low mids and high mids separately from the bass is key to my Bongo Love.

To me, tweaking your bass is a lot easier than tweaking an amp when you use multiple basses in a set.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    For all the weirdness of its appearance, I tried one of the single coil & humbucker ones the other day, that 4-band eq and 18-volt preamp is a beautiful thing. I really liked the sound of that thing. As far as a really versatile onboard eq, I like since, unless your eq is footswitchable, it's a lot easier to change it up on the fly at the instrument.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You guys make a good argument that I agree with upon further consideration. I concede.:)

At any rate, I dig Bongos, I think.