Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played a Dean today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I stopped by my local guitar shop to apply for a job and played some basses. I played basicaly every Fender there.. (i do this all the time just to see if anythings changed in my tastes for basses) and didnt like any of them except a Deluxe Zone. I dont have any money so i wasnt looking to buy a bass any way. But i saw a Dean and plguged it in to a Fender 60 watt amp and this bass is amazing. I dont know the exact model. It was a 4 string and had a finish like the SX "TM" or something. It had a really nice slap tone, better than all the Fenders. It cost around $825 i think. Any idea what model this was? Anyone own a Dean instrument?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
  3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. I think it was the Edge Pro.

4. If it was an Edge Pro, it should be neck-thru, with a real Badass bridge, and the finish was probably Trans-Tigereye over flame quilt.

Also, if that is the model, it can be had alot cheaper than $825.

Local dealer near me sells them for $489

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm are there any models with the Trans Tigereye finish that are more expensive?

6. I don't believe so.

Did the bass also have a bass clef inlay at the 12th fret ?

If so, then it is the edge pro.

Your delaer sounds like he is selling at list price.

Try going to http://www.basstreble.com

E-mail the owner (Dave) and ask for a price. Dave is one of the official Dean Owners Of America Club dealers, and gives great prices. You can tell him that I referred you. My screen name there is Instigator, and my real name is Bob.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea it had the inlay. Ya know, it is possible that when i glanced at the price tag, i looked at the retail price, and not his price. (i didnt pay close attention) because i know that this guy gives decent prices so thats probably what happened.

Well to sum it up, that is a very nice bass for the money people!!!! Hopefuly my Godin will play as nicely , when it comes.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean Edge Pros used to be made in Czechoslovakia right along side Spectors, with many of the same materials. Great basses, I've played some. Not my cup of tea personally, but the quality is unmistakable.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My friend has one of these. They're great playing basses, the intonation on his gets very wonky past the 12th fret but since he's never up there anyway he doesn't care about that.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Did the dealer have the list and the selling price on the tag? Some dealers only put the list price and you have to ask how much it is. Personally I think that is so they can give certain people different answers, but thats just me :) *lol*

Rob

11. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    There is also an Edge Quilt top that goes for around $500. One model has EMG pickups and the other (Edge B) has Bartolinis. I have the Bartolini Edge, and it has an extremely sweet tone. Great for the price. Also, the neck is nice and flat.

12. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have a Dean Edge 4 Improv, a model no longer made. Czech made, neck-thru, gold bridge and matching schaller tuners, emg-cs pickups, 4 gold knobs (vol, p/u pan, bass, treble) these were selling in the $800 range w/ HSC. I love mine and think it's a tremendous value. flame maple veneer, mother of pearl inlay on headstock and 12th fret, color matched headstock--sorry, no picture but i bet you can google one up!

I think dean makes several models/ country of origin etc, and they look similar

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]

14. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    That's the ticket, same color too!

fun bass to play, sounds great too!

15. They certainly are a tremendous value. You can spend a lot more money and get something not as good.