I played a fashion show Monday - pics of the whole thing!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, May 10, 2018.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    A singer I play with was asked to play one song during a break in a fashion show that was part of the big annual student festival. I even brought my big bass just to look cool. Here are a few pics of me and, well, the only picture of the singer so far that she's happy with:

2018_05_07_Fashion-Night_MKacperek _18 of 30_.jpg
    KSAF_FashionNightUEK_PawelCegielski_20180507_57.jpg

Lots more pics of the whole thing here, across five pages, though there will probably be more later/elsewhere from more of the many photographers. Yes, lots of models, both on the runway and backstage. I'm in a few backstage pics also. The "next page" button is in Polish, "Następna strona".

Fashion Night | Juwenalia UEK 2018, 07.05.2018

The whole thing was fun and worth doing even for free. It was well run - everyone's goal was to make sure things go smoothly and according to plan, so they finish and can go home, or go to the afterparty. Some minor snags got sorted out quickly. After we played I stayed just long enough to pack up, but before the show I did hang around for about an hour, and even let the hairdressers style my mustache just for the hell of it. I just told them I'd be doing music during one of the breaks, and told them to make it photogenic. The singer liked the result, but she wasn't brave enough to let them do anything with her hair.

SWRnut, ELG60, Bodeanly and 12 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Wow. That looks like quite a production, lots of activity and excitement, and braided hair. The students must've had a great time. Especially this guy....

KSAF_FashionNightUEK_PawelCegielski_20180507_10.jpg

That's some mighty fine looking facial hair. ;)

KSAF_FashionNightUEK_PawelCegielski_20180507_25.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Fun stuff!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

SWRnut, dbase, Oddly and 3 others like this.
  3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Just found out that my singer got a red carpet pic with a friend of hers.

33713938_1539538172836216_1457416612670865408_o.jpg

BassCliff, dbase, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Very cool!
    I remember playing for a fashion show many years ago...the amount of backstage drama, and barely-organised chaos, was a complete eye-opener.

Was it just you and the singer? What song did you play?

pklima likes this.
  5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Not much drama at this one. A lot of things being done in a big hurry at the last second, but the chaos was more barely-controlled than barely-organized.

It was just me and the singer. The drummer and keys guy didn't tell her if they'd be available before she had to confirm that we'd play, and the drummer later quit anyway while the keys guy would have to drive from another city to play one song. The new drummer would have happily played, but by then it was too late to get the additional setup needed with drum mics etc. So he didn't get to hang out with models, but on the bright side, the programmed drums sounded MIGHTY through the huge PA. But in general that's no big deal - we're prepared to play all her songs and a few covers with anywhere between one and four people. This is the song we played:

BassCliff, dbase and Oddly like this.
  6. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Fun looking gig! Do you play a regularly set-up upright backwards? Good on ya.

I did a fashion show gig once a long time ago. It was a DEISEL show, playing before and after the runway part. During the actual show they stuck us in the model changing room. That did not suck. The last couple runs featured underwear (or lack thereof) and (very small amounts of) duct tape. Yes, it was very cool, and sticks out in the "unique gig memories" file.

pklima and Oddly like this.
  7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, I not only play backwards, I also tune CGDA, so the intervals are backwards again.

There was no model changing room here, just a gym, so everybody was changing in the open. With time being of the essence and short breaks in which they had to change into the next designer's outfits, this was a practical necessity. Seeing models in (very boring) underwear for a few seconds while they changed at breakneck speed wasn't that big a deal, but being able to see how everything's organized and operates definitely added a lot to the "unique gig memories" appeal.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021