1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I played a Fender American Pro(?) Jazz Yesterday and....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bad_ai, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. No

77 vote(s)
    63.1%
  3. Why?

25 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. bad_ai

bad_ai

Jun 19, 2018
    Ocala Guitar Center. Maple neck, standard Jazz specs, cheap rounds, through body, black with white pickguard (what's up with Fender and all their white pickguards?) through a new release of small Acoustic 100w amps. The amp was impressive for $250. The Jazz is very bright but the E string just didn't get it. They want near $1500 for this thing and I tested a G&L JB last week for $200 more and they're similar yet so far away.

While there played an Ibanez SR5-505 or something like that and I had a terrible time with it. I'm sure it needed adjustments but it was not a pleasant instrument to try to play. I realized I have no facility for 5 strings, at least this one. Didn't like the sound. Maybe the battery was dying but I couldn't tell much in the sound from messing with the knobs and toggle switch. The bass sounded lifeless compared to the Fender. $700 for that.

I walked away thinking Fender has lost its mind while G&L is a very focused company, and to my amateur and unskilled ears and hands the G&L was much beefier, lending itself to more sound, fantastic articulation. Comments?

2. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    im in that area......i play 4 and 5 string....When I play 5-String its mostly for functions, events, shows (like in The Villages) as I play with variety band/multi-genre situations where its needed so, No, its not a dying fad :) (My primary 5vers are a Sire V7-5 and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V)... as far as basses at that Guitar Center, I wouldnt put a whole lot of faith in how they are setup and hung on the wall at any music store, let alone that one

By the Way, one of my four-bangers is a G&L ASAT - almost 25 years old; one owner-Me!...Yes, they are amazing

Its possible I may have seen you in there....I saw a guy checking out that bass the other day while I was in there looking for an Explorer case for my Destroyer :)

3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    FWIW, my father owns one of these American Professionals Jazz basses and it is the finest 4 string we have ever played. Everything on that bass is just right.

They won’t all be like that. Play more and you will find a gem.

G&L has more consistency in producing great instruments because they sell fewer instruments than Fender. If G&L had to produce Fender quantities of instruments you would surely find some less spectacular than others.

iceboxbass and musicman666 like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I think G&L is the way to go, not just because they have so many finish options, different necks and fretboards, but because they seem to take a personal interest in their products...just take a look at their Facebook page.
    I’d be happy with an L2000, SB-2, Kiloton and a JB in some wild finish.

soulman969, Pbassmanca and dralionux like this.
  5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Strings, amp and even room have so much to do with it. I often wonder how much that is skewing my opinion.

6. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I laughed out loud when I read the poll

7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    lots of employees from sanders to secretaries have been pestering their bosses for more than a fifty cent raise year after year for over a decade meanwhile consumers gotta have prices not budge over the same time period. The money's gotta come from somewhere.

8. bad_ai

bad_ai

Jun 19, 2018
    Well, if he was old, fat, ugly, completely obnoxious, egotistical and arrogant ... could be.... :)

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  9. bad_ai

bad_ai

Jun 19, 2018
    That's precisely the way I feel about this G&L. You can see and hear a personal investment into this instrument. The $1500 Fender Jazz with the maple neck didn't excite me. I mean, to me and for that kind of bread why isn't Fender taking a personal interest in that range of instrument? The G&L is like Fender's custom shop. What's the difference really?

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    yeah, that was me

11. bad_ai

bad_ai

Jun 19, 2018
    Maybe Fender should reconsider their business model. I mean that G&L is just G&L. No beginner, intermediary, made in Mexico (for a premium), too many models and inconsistent to boot. Such a waste of materials. All my opinion, of course. What made Fender Fender is they built them pretty much one instrument at a time with extremely high quality control. Like the original Hammond organs. Works of art. This Jazz pro was, like, OK. It's technically great and all that but something core is missing. Some personality. The G&L, a complete different animal that, to me, begs to be played, like Leo's Fenders even through 1969.

SteveC likes this.
  12. bad_ai

bad_ai

Jun 19, 2018
    Haha! How tough is it to get a gig at the Villages .... before the sinkholes devour the place? What does one have to play material wise? Oldies? Standards? Party? Dance? Disco? All the above?

13. Brent Davenport

Brent Davenport

Feb 20, 2018
    I don't think the battery was dying. The Professional is passive (or at least mine was). I had a Professional Jazz IV and didn't really dig it. I thought I should, because after all, it's a Fender Jazz. I've found that I like a much heavier sound. That's why I have a BTB1005 and a Warwick Corvette Double Buck.

14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I agree with this to an extent......it took a bit for my Deluxe V to be broken in and it still has marginal personality...My ASAT, however, is amazing....feels amazing....and sings (unplugged, its one of the loudest basses you will hear just acoustically)

15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    all of the above and more....country goes over well...New music - especially new pop - goes over well...Its not unusual to have The Beatles and Cake By The Ocean in the same set :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  16. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    I like G&L’s JB bass, but would it kill them to make at least some attempt at shielding, even just some shielding paint in the control cavity?

I have yet to try a factory fresh Fender American Professional or Elite bass that aren’t well made these days. They seem on par with G&L quality to me lately.

Bass_Thumper and Adam Wright like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've never had any noise issues with this. 2cmnl2h.

soulman969 likes this.
  18. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    G&L will never have the market saturation that Fender does. Fender’s business model plain works; they have been selling essentially the same thing year after year for consistently more money. Their value on the used market alone should prove this to you.

If you want a great deal buy a used G&L. I love G&L basses but they resell like Ibanez, and mostly they are all great deals.

soulman969 likes this.
  19. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I think it’s just your untrained ear and your lack of familiarity with playing 5 strings consistently. Glad this isn’t a 4 strings is all you need post. There ain’t one type of hammer.

But hey... can’t handle a 5 string? That’s cool. Stick to 4 and play your butt off.

20. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Yes, active basses with dead batteries tend to sound lifeless...