1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I played a Fender Select Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TNCreature, Jul 30, 2012.

1. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I played a Fender Select Jazz Bass last weekend at a music store in Rehoboth Beach and I honestly could not tell you what made it a $3,000 bass.
    I was very beautiful to look at, almost sexy. But it didn't sound markedly better (maybe different) then any of my other JB's. And the neck felt kind of sticky to me. Maybe it needed a good cleaning?
    Apparently the construction and woods are superior to the "off the rack" models. But I was expecting to be blown away and wasn't.

Maybe I'm more of a spam on toast caliber of bass player (shrugs).

Does anyone here play one? Please tell me what you love about it. It may just have not been the one for me. You know, the wand chooses it's owner!

2. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Your not crazy. I have played over a dozen with the same results. It does come down to setup and the final assembly.

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I played one yesterday and frankly was underwhelmed by it. It was nice and light and the slab-ish body was cool but for the price it was unimpressive. And I am a fender loyalist.

4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Me too. Curious. It was beautiful to look at though.

5. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I have had the EXACT same response to EVERY boutique bass
    I've tried. Every one has been a well constructed instrument - - - That's ALL.

NONE of them has blown me away.
    NONE of them has made me fall in love with it.

I have found that just a "good" bass, combined with:
    1. A Great Setup (which I do myself)
    2. A Great Pre-amp (3 Band - Lo / Mids / Hi)
    3. A Great Amp Head with super EQ plus
    knowing how to use it to get the sounds you want...
    A combination of these three added to good playing ability
    will take you a lot farther than owning a high priced bass just
    for the sake of having it.

On the other hand, if you already have all of the above and
    have money to burn, then . . . why not?!! There's lots of
    Bass "Art" to choose from.

:bag:

6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Thorr - great points. Ive found since I went to my Genz Benz 12.0, my bass gas seems somewhat cured. I allow the GB to do a lot of the tonal variation and I get the "real" sound of the bass. So my American P-bass, Franklin Body/2012 Ameican Jazz Necked "Pete" Bass and my Ric are completely satisfactory. I check out the boutique basses but don't fall head over heels. I actually sold my one Custom Shop Jazz after pining for one for years. It just wasn't so special that I couldn't live without it. My stable of workhorses are completely filling the needs. Am I settling? No. I've got 30 years experience under my belt and have owned and played the pricier basses. I love what I got. I won't make this a mexi vs MIA conversation, but I will say a couple MIA fenders suit me perfectly.