I played a headless for the first time today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It was a Cort copy of the ol' Steinbergers (complete with plank body and "Tuners licensed by Steinberger Sound" silkscreened underneath the Cort logo).

P/J config, vol/vol/tone. The neck was nice and hand-filling, and upper-fret acces was superb. It didn't balance very well in my lap and I didn't have a strap on hand, so playing it was a bit interesting at first. In all seriousness...I loved it! I can just imagine taking a nice Steinberger headless with the whole plank body thing, a sansamp, tuner, and cable to a gig and being set up in mere seconds. It might not really suit visually in a jazz gig by most people's standards, but I love the look of the thing (I also love the look of Bongos, so there!).

Seriously, what a great design! Definite props to Steinberger...but now...I've got gas! :( Maybe not for a Steinberger...now, that $20,000 headless FBass on eBay -- there's a keeper. Mind, the 20K price tag is just a bit sketch, so I'd probably just go with a new order from Mr. Furlanetto.

Hey, Mr. Strange -- do you own any non-transtrem Steinbergers? How much did they cost, and how much would I expect to pay for a non-Gibson one?
  2. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    If you don't mind having the Spirit by Steinberger line...check them out at www.musicyo.com that's where I'm planning on getting mine. I can't even afford a "real" Steinberger!
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hmmm...those Spirits intrigue me. What's the build quality like on 'em, anybody? I'd definitely be replacing those EMG selects with real EMG's as soon as I got one, though.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I only own two Strangebergers - both with transtrem. I scored mine pretty cheap, considering how much the trem alone is worth. I got both of mine for around $900 - the trem alone can go for upwards of $700.

I don't really care for any of the other basses other than the one's with an actual body. The paddles don't sit right on me at all, and the main reason I play these basses is for the balance aspect.

I don't really watch the others; I just keep an eye on the XMs. I've noticed that over the last few years prices on Steinbergers are starting to go up pretty heavily. My guess is that they're over 20 years old now, which makes them "vintage". :rollno:
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've owned two neck-through XT2 Spirits, and the build quality was great.

I currently own a XZ2, which is also quite nice. However, it's a replacement - the first one they shipped me couldn't be properly set up either due to a wonky neck or an incorrectly cut neck pocket (unlikely).

I still like my original XM2A the best, although (Ben, don't hurt me) I almost traded it off for a second Sterling the other week.
  6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Get a Mark King Signature model from status they love lovely and normally I hate headless basses.

Or the Zon Vinny there meant to be very nice, well if it's good enough for Michael Manring.

hope this helps