1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I played a Sadowsky Metro Precision P/J...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluesy Soul, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ...yesterday. Beautiful bass. Sunburst with a tort guard.

The fit and finish were flawless, of course. I prefer satin necks to gloss and this one had as good a satin finish as I've encountered so far. It was a joy to play (except for the neck geometry, but more about that later). I don't know the exact weight, but it certainly didn't seem heavy.

It had great P-like, J-like and combination tones in active mode. Very usable, versatile and intuitive. There was a good, wide range of adjustment for both the bass and the treble control. A slapper could really make the lows thunder and the highs sear through. Unlike many P/Js (and other multi-pickup basses), the volume levels of the two pickups seemed nicely balanced. The J-pup is located nearer the P-pup than on most P/Js. I didn't measure it, but the J-pup appeared to be '60s distance (or may be even a little farther) from the bridge.

This one had the VTC control and, personally, I preferred the passive modes to the active--but I was primarily seeking vintage Fender tones. With the P-pup in passive mode, I immediately got that old school Precision sound that so many of us love--including me. The J-pup also had classic Jazz tone, but something about it was missing. Then I realized that I was still plucking the strings with my thumb anchored on the side of the P-pup. When I moved my hand back and placed my thumb on the J-pup--there it was! That classic Jazz bass bridge pickup burp! Both pickups in passive mode sounded great to me, but you can't get that dual-Jazz-pickups sound, of course, without two Jazz pickups. All in all, however, for someone wanting both classic P-bass and classic J-bass tones from a single instrument, this P/J does a better job than any other bass I've tried yet.

So I bought it on the spot, right? No, I'm afraid I didn't. Jazz necks are just too narrow and too thin for me in the lower positions. My left hand fatigues and often cramps up if I try to play a Jazz neck for the full length of a gig. One other minor gripe: I wish all the control knobs had center detents, especially the stacked bass and treble controls.

If a Metro P/J was available with P-neck geometry, I'd order one immediately--even sooner if it were available as a 5-string. Setting aside my personal idiosyncrisies, I thought the sound, playability, fit and finish of this bass easily justified its $2,100 street price.

Has anyone else tried one?

Bluesy Soul :cool:

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments

Great review and spot-on. I love my Hybrid P-J. One comment on your minor gripe... the preamp is boost only, therefore there is no need for center detents.

3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The Bass and trebble controls are boost only, hence no detent.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I saw that bass the other day myself. Great looking and well made. I didnt play it though........ it was missing a string:p

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Roger Sadowsky says a 5-string version is in the works.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I cant decide wheather to order a Metro or NYC P/J. I'd love to save some dough and go with the metro, but I couldnt order it in my ideal configuration like I could with the NYC. Its good to know that you can get a nice old school tone in passive mode even with a "modern" bass. Great review

7. It is possible to buy a warmoth (or sadowsky or fender) P neck and attach it to the bass? then you sell the J neck...

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I gotta say, I am so glad I ordered exactly what I wanted in a P/J:

Quilted maple top AAAA, dark transparent cherry finish, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard (9.5 inch FB radius), parchment pickguard, chambered Alder (small Jazz) body, vintage amber headstock, Sadowsky hum-cancelling pups, and VTC. The instrument has the most consistent action and tone across all strings and frets, and the most versatility of any instrument I have ever played. Each note is equally beautiful. Listen to Kevin in New York. He knows. :cool:

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I love my new Hybrid. Thanx to everyone at the shop in Brooklyn and to the crew in Japan who actually made it. Im a jazz bass guy but wanted a PJ pickup configuation once again. A Metro Hybrid is the perfect bass for me. Im finding it amazing to play and it sounds and looks fantastic. Ive almost used it every show the last month since I've gotten it. NO regreats, whatsoever

Rob

hybridandme2.jpg

10. Thanks, Andy. I just saw the "boost-only" info on Roger's website. The P/J I played had control knob configuration "B": http://www.sadowsky.com/media/download/manuals/NYC_knobs.pdf.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

11. ahhh...there you go again, Rob....

you can't help yourself!

Actually I don't mind (nothing a little crop in Microsoft picture it! can't fix....:p)

Seriously, I never grow tired of looking at that P/J...

I never noticed before. until bluesy soul mentioned it, the jazz pickup is really quite far from the bridge...pretty close (if not almost exactly where the back coil of a MM is located on a stingray)...I bet that thing can produce some serious 'ray-esque "smak-dang ka-bang a crank a dang-a-lang"! ;)

(yes, it IS a technical term...;) )

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Great review, thanks. I am saving my $$ for a Metro P-J even as we speak! ;)

13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's unfortunate the neck wasn't right for you. That's probably what would have sold it for me. Different strokes right?

I may have to try one of those next time I get over to Bass Central.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Rob is a Sadowsky poster child ! :p :bassist:

15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What he said...

16. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL

All I gotta know is, how the hell do you fund it all??? :confused:

tom :bassist:

17. I'm bumpin' this because Rob is just so damn handsome! LOL

Actually, I wanna know more about that bridge pickup placement....

looks like it's about where the rear coil of a 'ray bucker is located. what's it do to the tone? compare it to a Sadowsky P/J, for instance...

cheers,
    Kerry

18. I wish I'd measured the distance from the bridge pickup to the bridge when I played the bass. Even though I noticed the pickup placement, I don't think it's much different (if at all) from a typical '60s Jazz bridge pickup placement. Its proximity to the Precision split coil can be deceiving because the P-pickup is at a "mid" location.

Though I like both, I prefer Precision bass to Jazz bass tones, and I also prefer the alder/rosewood/'60s pickup placement to the ash/maple/'70s pickup placement. When I moved my hand to pluck from the bridge pickup position, it was the alder/rosewood/'60s Jazz bridge pickup sound that I got.

Bluesy Soul

19. Man those hybrids look sweet... for a parts bass!:bag: ;) :D

I'm saving my pennies as well.

20. bump again...

Sadowsky folks, (or Hybrid P/J owner)...could someone confirm the measurement from the 12th fret to the center of the pole-pieces on the jazz pickup?

cheers,
    Kerry

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021