1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i played an early 60's ibanez today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ShowKing, Sep 9, 2008.

1. i was at my bass teacher's house today, putting new strings, adjusting action, adding pickups to my upright bass.

he showed me his bass guitar that he has. it was an early 60's ibanez. looking mint condition. no rust, no dust, and it had all the original parts it came with.

the body was dark brown and u could see the wood grain.
    maple neck. 2+2 style tuners. active preamp. P J style pups white color.

anyone know which model this may be?
    i guess it would be worth heaps considering how mint it looks and still has all original parts.

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm guessing not. :meh: Even the really nice 70's and 80's Ibanez's are pretty cheap, considering the value of other vintage basses on the market.

3. I don't think there was an "Ibanez" before the 70's.

Serial numbers didn't get put on the guitars or basses until the mid 70's. If it has one, it would have to be at least a 70's model.

4. Doubting this is from the 60's. I don't remember Ibanez making many basses in the 60's, and the ones they did I thought had in line tuners. Also suspect of the P&J pickups, as they would have most likely used their own style pickups in the 60's. Active electronics is another thing that would make me shy away from the 60's era guess.

That said, Ibanez *did* make many basses in the late 70's with the features you described. My guess would be a Musician bass - but they didn't have P&J pickups. They were popularly available with active electronics. Value on one of those is about $800+.

Otherwise you're looking at a mid 80's bass. A lot of those had P&J style pickups. A pic would help.

5. There actually was - but they were much like the other no-name Japanese companies at the time turning out cheaply made instruments with little understanding of how to make a quality guitar. (This changed greatly by the 70's.)

6. ummm I don't know about 60's but maybe an Ibanez Musician?

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
  8. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    In my experience, the early Ibanez instruments were of much lower quality that more recent offerings.

As far as collector value is concerned, I know there are a FEW collectors of the guitars (not sure about basses), but I don't think this has put any upward pressure on prices at all.

IMHO, this instruments should simply be evaluated for playability, condition, tone, etc., with an eye toward setting a price consistent with others of the same type and vintage. craigslist and ebay searches may help.

10. Of course early 60's Ibanez basses exist!! Here's a '62 (model 1901):

[​IMG]

Here's a '62/'63 two pickup model 1902:

[​IMG]

11. Close up of '62 headstock:

[​IMG]

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You're describing an early 80's Roadster RS-924 or RS-940.

pg12detail.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

^^^^+1^^^^

When he said 'active pre-amp'....no way it's an early 60's unless it was modified.

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    When he said white PJ pickups and 2 on a side tuners, he was out of the 60's.

15. +1

16. yes it was exactly the same as the one on the right, except fretted.
    i guess it isnt a 60's ibanez. i just thought it was from wat i heard from him. mayb he had bad memory since hes getting old?

thanks guys for all the input

17. Thank you! I thought I was going made as I was sure I had seen a few 60s ibanez basses on the bay!

18. Yeah - those 60's Ibby's are just cheap looking... much like all the other electric guitars from Japan that I've seen from that era. Once the 70's rolled in, they suddenly became good - and by the late 70's, they became on par with Gibsons! (certain models at least, not all of them)

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    As far as I'm concerned, the 60's models sound as good as a Gibson bass.....:bag: