1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I played at my first musical

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Apr 7, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm 16 years old. My high school band director gets a call from the band director from a nearby school looking for someone to play bass for the school's rendition of Grease :)bassist: ). He asks my band director if he plays bass, and he says no, but he knows a kid who can. So, I get the part. The other band director was nervous having a kid sit in, but I think i impressed him.

I went to a dress rehersal wednesday and tonight was the first of two performances. I gotta say, playing with professional musicians is totally different than playing with peers. It was just so tight. Plus, the music was great. I had a blast and realized that I would love doing this for a living. So now i'm thinking about going to school for music and becoming a session bassist. I dunno if it will work out, but its a thought.

Anyway, the show went great and the band director told me that I was as good as any professional who's ever sat in with him. :smug:

Oh yeah, I'm getting paid $100 for the three nights. not too bad! :cool:

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    dude your pretty lucky, at my school its all "do it for charity"

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh hon, that is AWESOME!!! What a great experience for you! Session bassist is a great idea. I feel like this production has opened some doors for you. Congratulations!

Cherie :)

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    dude the funniest thing is that im doing the exact same thing, this weekend, and were doing grease too. The local high school needed a band for the pit so i got a call to play sax. It's my first gig doing this kind of stuff (sight reading, haven't done it since high school) but i kinda like it.

Good luck man

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  6. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i just finished my second high school musical (joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat) last night. funner'n monkeys.
    it's good for my reading, which i don't much do anymore.
    it's also good for my wallet, since the school here pays pretty good.
    it was also bittersweet that it was my stepson's last high school musical, as he's a senior...the other kids asked if i would still do musicals now that he's graduating...of course i will! it's too much fun not to.

sidenote...the drummer whut was hired for the pit is really good, but he didn't know there was a matinee (for the h.s.) on friday. we called up a certain student from the audience to fill in until the drummer showed up, and he did it spectacularly!
    (it don't suck that he's the grandnephew of lonnie mack, either. the genes weren't wasted on this one.)

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Meh, my school doesn't pay, but I may do it next year. This year, it was Cats, which from what I've heard basically exhausted the funds, so they're going to wimp out next year, possibly doing something easy...

its just that it interferes with track, so iduno whats more fun - pplaying bass or pole vaulting...

8. Wow, you're so lucky to have had that oppurtunity, I'm jealous!

That reminds me, I should really just go to the school Jazz Band's Practices and be the next Bassist when the other one leaves at the end of this academic year.

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yeah, if you impress the band director, he gives you connections. Like in my case! :cool:

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-this is kind of long, but i was in the same boat as you. I'm now 3-4 years older and into the process.

Congrats man. I was bit by the same bug. I started playing for my high school show choirs & musicals freshman year, and i got hooked. Now i'm a jazz studies major in Chicago. :) I'm not sure if you can get ahold of these guys, and i have no clue how close you are to Manhattan, but-if you could pop the $$ for at least a few lessons w/some of the NYC musical cats-i think it'd be very beneficial. If i would have had the chance a few years ago, i'd like to think i'd take it.

A few guys that i *think* are still in NYC that are actively doing musicals: Konrad Adderly [did Wild Party & Wicked], Steve Mack [Rent & i *think* Aida].

I'm studying with Tom Mendel here in Chicago. He plays for our cast of Wicked along with having been a session player for a very long time in addition to doing other musicals, he knows Steve & Konrad. The experience of studying with players/teachers of this calliber is astounding. I leave every lesson thinking "holy ****......that was awesome".

I'm also studying jazz bass w/Scott Mason. If you aren't taking lessons on electric and upright, i'd advise you to start ASAP.

So what i'm trying to tell you as a guy who is going for the same thing, is to take lessons, practice a lot, and learn as much as you can. Being able to play more than just electric bass is a good move too. If you check out the gear that the bass players are using in the pits, or even on the bass parts-you'll see that many parts are written for people who play both electric bass and upright.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me via AIM, Email, or on here. I'm more than willing to share my experiences and thoughts.

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Wow, thaks for the tips. I'll be sure to look into it.

Oh yeah, I've also met a girl through all this and am in the process of getting to know her better.:cool:

(see thread entitled "Dang..." in OT)

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Nice Man. I met my most recent girlfriend at the last school musical i played. Yeah-my senior year, we did Grease, and by the end of the production we were dating. Longest relationship i've had so far-was on again/off again for 8 months. Musical was in October [i think] we didn't break up until the last week of school.

Good luck on both fronts though man.

13. Nice to hear inspirational moments that lead to life-changing of life-defining events.