Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played Doug Pinnicks' bass!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Acacia, May 17, 2001.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Only because Poundhound played here a few nites ago and because he left his old fender bass in the club that we were getting booked in!!!!

the sound guy says "holy crap, look what I found behind the stage!".

So I gave it a test run. it was beat all to hell but played like a champ.

Metal Blade has been contacted.

Pretty wild.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    LOL - that's pretty forgetful, leaving your bass behind.

How were Poundhound? did you see them play? The album is great, but I've not heard them live.

I played Doug's bass once - his Hamer, but had to play it upside down as he's a lefty...

King's X live in London a few years back is still one of my all time fave gigs...

Steve

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    What a great band King's X is! Also one the you don't see mentioned too often on Talkbass. I remember when "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" was released, Guitar Player or some other mag had lots of "name" guitarists list what they were listening to for inspiration at the moment...just about all of them listed that album. Definitely in my Top 10....

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    this bass was strung righthanded...

i am not a fan of any of his music, so i didn't see the show.

i did interview ty and gaskill a few years back and videoed 3 songs live, but I just can't get into them at all. great musicians, just not my thing, ya know?

5. I interviewed those guys too! About 9 years ago. I still have a picture of all of us together. They were super-nice guys. At the show that night, Pinnick blew up all three of his amps and they wound up having to do an acoustic set!

6. May not have been his then... :( Some of his basses (Hamers) are right handed bodies, but he definitely plays them all strung lefty.

I was fortunate enough to be backstage before a show in NYC during their Ear Candy tour, and Doug, Ty and Jerry couldn't have been nicer. Didn't try Doug's bass, but it didn't matter. I'm sure my arms weren't long enough! :D

Too bad King's X hasn't made it bigger - they really deserve to. Definitely one of my all time favorite groups. IMHO Doug has the best voice in all of rock music. Pretty nasty bass tone, too. ;)

[​IMG]

7. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The case has KING's X and Doug Pinnicks detailed all over it, so I assume it was his.

8. Hmm. Interesting. I've never SEEN him play a bass strung righty. But, to quote Brad Johnson's signature, as always, I could be wrong. :)

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    could've been somebody who was a fan and wanted an autograph, and then forgot the bass.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    unlikely.

it may have very well been strung lefty. i pulled it out of the case, plucked the top string while we were all glaring at it and then put it back.

11. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Add me to the list of people who've interviewed the King's X boys - I spent a few hours with Doug a few years back when he was in London with Tribe After Tribe - one of the nicest people I've ever interviewed, one of my favourite players, favourite singers and favourite songwriters!

The interview is in the BassDotCom section of my website if you want to read it...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wait a minute - you said he this was a pound hound gig? doug pinnick is playing guitar in pound hound, i'm almost certain. check out www.kingsx.net . they have pics.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just got a call from Metal Blade Records. It is Doug's bass and he was freaking out because no one knew where it was.

I, once again, saved the day. ;):D

14. Hey Sean,

Where are you playing at? I wanna check it out.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, cool! maybe he's playing some bass on tour too - i know he's playing guitar on this too.

they should send you a t-shirt or something. :D

16. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    from what my rep told me, he decided to bring his bass at the last minute. but why he had it in the club is beyond me.

17. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Funny I just saw this. Our drummer was the drum tech on one of King's X's European tours a few years ago. Since Doug lives here in the Houston area, our singer and drummer usually hang out with him when he is in the area. That may be a good foot in the door for us when he gets back off this tour in the beginning of June. From what they say, he is a really a down to earth guy. We're all going to Fitzgerald's on Saturday to see them.