Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played my Eden WT400 for the first time live…

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Last weekend was my first gig with my WT400.

I have it mounted in my custom made 210 combo. The cab is 8 ohm, so the Eden will only put out 235 watts.

We normally do not play at a very high volume onstage at our gigs, but this last weekend proved to be the exception. We were missing one of our players and we decided to just crank it and jam the night away. I have an extension cab and I thought perhaps I might need it. But I was pretty surprised by how much volume could come out of my 210 cab.

I had the amp set up flat, with the enhance set at about 12 o’clock. I had the gain set to about 9 or 10 o’clock and by the end of the night I had my master cranked wide open.

The WT400 has such a great tone that I only had to do some very minor tweaking for the room I played in. I cut the low by only one click and I had the high cut by two clicks. With everything else set flat, I was getting a very full, warm sound…with just enough brightness to cut through perfectly. I play a Fender P-Bass with roundwounds. There were times that I was really getting a nice growly and clanky Rick thing happening. After our second set, my guitarist even made mention of it. He said it sounded like I was playing a Rick…coming from a P-Bass? If I really dig in up around the neck, I can get this kind of tone. If I play more over the pick-up or the bridge it still has that classic P-Bass tone. There were a few songs where I mute my strings and I got an awesome dub sound I never really nailed before. I also got a very cool, almost fretless kind of mwah happening, when I played very close to the bridge. I played around all night, experimenting with the tonal variety I was getting out my bass. I never got that kind of tonal variation out my Hartke HA4000 no matter how I messed with the settings or how I played my bass.

We were stupidly loud. We never play at that high of a volume, but the bar, the crowd and the night just seemed to call for it. The crowd made comments on how good the sound was and apparently we weren’t all that loud out front as many said they appreciated the fact that they didn’t have to yell in conversation, and the bartenders said that they too could hear drink orders, but we sounded great. So we were cranking on stage, but not out front as much.

I’m just amazed at how much this amp puts out into a 210 cab. I never needed my extension cab. I can’t imagine how loud it would be with it cranking out the full 400 watts into 4 tens. The WT400 gives me a straight up sound that allows me to vary the tone by how I play rather than having to settle for one tone no matter what. This amp is just awesome for me. All of the notes on all the strings have this full, solid thump you can feel, but with a rich, cutting (but not overly bright) tonality over it.

My Hartke HA4000 gave me an adequate sound, but with the WT400 it was like taking a blanket off my cab and letting the real tone come out. My sound just came alive with this head. I waited for over three years to where I could swing an affordable deal to get an Eden head and I won’t ever be going back to anything else.

Eden makes some very high quality ampheads. I can’t wait for the next gig!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    235 watts into a 2x10 and you cranked the master to 10?!?!?!?!?

I'd take a good hard look at your speaker cones for signs of creasing. You are always much better off using an extension cab to get more coverage instead of stressing your gear like that to 10.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    They are fine. Well, perhaps the Master was slightly less than cranked...but it was very close to cranked. :D I never play that wide open...it was just the night for it I guess.

My cab handles 160 watts and the head puts out 235 tops into 8 ohms (not accounting for spikes). I was never clipping, nor was the compressor kicking in much. I know the clip light works as I've tested it at home when I first got it. The amp has a pre and post gain. They both weren't cranked...only the master. The gain was at about 2 or so (or 9 o'clock).

I should add that I made my own cab and tuned it to 38 Hz...and I only play a 4 string now, so the lowest I go is 41 Hz.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just let my Eden rig go so that I could get a really nice bass, but I know how you feel. My current rig is only temporary until I can get a WT-400 like you have.

-Mike

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had been GASsing for an Eden head for so long. Every time I came close to getting one, something didn't work out and I had to "settle" for something else.

There are other great heads out there, but while they worked alright for me, they just didn't compare to the Eden. So when this one came along and I got a good deal on it (for me anyway), I just couldn't pass on it.

This time I HAD to have it. Best upgrade I've ever done. I only wished it hadn't taken me so long to get, but I'm happy now!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I enjoyed my 400 when I had it, too. Especially the preamp. Very nice amp. In fact, I liked it much better than the 800 and felt it had better tone, overall. Glad you're diggin' it! :cool:

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I messed around with the Enhance knob and I've found that at about 12 o'clock was the tone I wanted. I'm sure it makes a difference what kind of bass you play, what kind of music and how you play.

I play in a four piece band with only one guitarist who does alot of fingerpicking and never plays power chords. We do alot of Brian Setzer and SRV, so I play with a deeper sound and I never have to worry about cutting through.