1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Played My First Gig With Flats..2nd With A P Bass Last Night...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Oct 31, 2010.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I am starting a New Thread as a continuation of the Thread; "Just Played My First Gig With a P Bass"

Here is a link to that thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706870

So I gigged with flats on a P for the first time last night. The material in the first set was ideal for the P so planned to play her for the first set, and switch to the MM Sterling ( my 'Go To' and most versatile bass) for the last 3. Wow, what a difference flats make. I know I am preaching to the choir here but it was exactly the sound I had hoped I would achieve when I picked up the P (see my original thread for back story). It really came alive in the mix and the whole band and the other players all loved the sound. I did boost some low and high mids slightly, and cut a touch of highs. These adjustments were made AFTER playing a song or 2 and getting a real sense of how she was sitting in the mix. My keyboard player also plays bass and his take was that a P with flats simply carves out its own sonic territory in the mix. It sits right where it should in order to leave space for the horns, keys and guitars and offers a rock solid low end sonic foundation. So I played the MM for the 2nd set (which sounded great too) but could not resist switching back to the P for the last 2 sets. A couple of sidenotes, I slapped a solo on the P in a tune called 'Boogie Oogie' and instantly realized that I need to spend time dialing in my slap tone. It was painful. Luckily my Genz Benz Shuttlemax has 2 channels, so I can dial in a fingerstyle tone on the tube channel, and slap tone on the FET channel. No biggie. You know, I used to surf a lot when I lived in California, and if the MM Sterling is like an agile short-board, the P is like a big tasty long-board. I play the P like I ride a longboard..laidback...a P bass makes you wanna just lay back and sprinkle tasty licks here and there while really focusing on the groove and the interaction with the kick drum. I am really loving my P and plan to put flats on my 70's reissue Jazz Bass as well. And that really did start here on TB. I knew that there must be something behind all the passion players have for their P's, so I bought one. I knew there must be something behind all the passion players have for flats, so I bought some. Now, I am also among the enlightened. I will help spread the word! Thanks to all who posted on this thread!! Cheers.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    @OP: I have just learned exactly what you mean!

I have a Fender P, but hadn't played it very much, and not at all in the last 3 months or so because I was focusing on getting ready for a gig where I'd be playing a 5-string.

My G-Bass had flats on it when I bought it. Didn't care for them, so I switched it over to Cirrus strings (nickel rounds). I tried some chrome flats on my MPG a couple of weeks ago. I thought, with its Nordstrand P pickup, I might find out what all the fuss was about with flats on a P. Still no love. Changed it to Cirrus strings also and love it like that.

So, last week, I was finally through the gig I had been getting ready for and I decided to get reacquainted with my Fender P. I played on it for a bit and decided to try the flats that came on my G-Bass and see how they sound on my P. FINALLY I GET IT!

Something about the flats on my actual P is different than flats on either of the other basses that I tried them on. On the P, they really work! I played with them for a couple of hours on Thursday and 3 or 4 more on Friday. Now, like you, I am finally a believer.

3. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New flats sound good... old flats sound AWESOME! ;)

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Welcome brother! P bass and Flats is the sound for me and I love how it sits in the mix. I also bump my low and mids a tad and let her go. Smooth , tasty and it mixes so well with the kick. I cant think of a better bass tone and I am here to stay.

5. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Let us know about the J!