1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I played on a 15" last night and... I think it's better than a 2 x 10"!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bioflava, Mar 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bioflava

Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Hey TBassers,

I've long played on 10" speakers. First it was an SWR 4 x 10" (with eden speakers), then a SWR Goliath III jr. I always loved the responsiveness as I play finger style, now on a Modulus Flea 4.

Last night at a practice space, I tried a (mediocre) 2 x 15" Crate set up and it sounded great! Against my better judgement, the darker, muddier sound of the 15" seemed to support the band's sound better. We are friends who jam on rock tunes by the Pixies, Bowie, Grateful Dead.

Any thoughts on changing speaker set-ups? I don't want to lug a huge amount, but I'm thinking of getting a compact 15" (like the Mesa).

Thanks!

2. A 15" Mesa could sound vastly different than a Crate 15". Try stuff before you buy anything.

GregC, Wito, aaronious and 3 others like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only thing you can tell by speaker size without listening is the size of the speakers.

NKBassman, Chef, jjk2007 and 18 others like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    What Jimmy said /\

I have a Crate cab loaded with 2 15" JBL K140s and a GK CX115 (1x15). Completely different sound between the drivers. Both great though!

B-string likes this.
  5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    15s are not inherently muddier and darker, 10s are not inherently punchier and brighter. All depends on how the cab was designed. :thumbsup:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Any neon signs near the stage?

punchclock likes this.
  7. Very true except it is not entirely dependent on the cabinet. It also depends on the specific speakers used.

8. I think I've played through through that model crate 2x15.

It doesn't have much top end, but it actually has a lot of low midrange and so sounds pretty good in the mix.

However, my Sunn 2x15 is brighter than quite a few 10" cabs I've played. Depends on the speakers used and how the cab is designed.

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    You can tell if they're bling, Jimmy! :D

JimmyM and Sartori like this.
  10. JCooper

JCooper Shen Qi Jing He Yi Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    I had all sorts of 10" in. speaker cabs, but the two Bag End S15-D cabs I have now can get CRAZY bright, if you want.

47th Street and BasturdBlaster like this.
  11. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Trade offs in speaker design are independent from speaker size while speaker size may impact speaker design to yield a distinct design goal.
    A 3" driver can't generate lots of lows, while a 18" can't generate lots of top end, consequently it all depends.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  12. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Nothing the mater with liking 15s. I Loved the older SWR son of berthas 1x15 cabs. I often used a pair of those- sometimes one of those and a SWR Goliath Jr (2X10) with great results..... ** mixed driver police- cruise on by, nothing to see here-we'll call if we need you**

13. I'm using my 2 Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115 cabs almost exclusively now. Over my Berg 12"s and 10"s
    I just like the "roundness" of em. Ymmv

47th Street and kosmicwizard like this.
  14. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Nothing scientific here. I just like the way 15's fill the room best. Every brand of amp I have ever had, I liked the version with the 15 better than the 10 or the 12. I will just consider it magic!

Jason Hollar likes this.
  15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm also a fan of 15s. Seems every manufacturer makes a 15 that I like better than their other offerings.

GregT and Sartori like this.
  16. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    Trace Elliot 2x10 and 1x15 stack works great for me. Some rounded warm with the punch sitting right where I need it. The mixed driver police haven't shown up yet either. I've heard 4x10's go very deep too so it's not just the size.

wmhill likes this.
  17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    You never know what is going to resonate with you. I played through an old Sunn solid state 15" combo a while back and it was just all there in all the right places. Who knew!

47th Street and Sartori like this.
  18. Remember what model it was, by any chance? I've been looking at getting a practice amp.

19. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    It might have been the old stage 115 model, but I'm not positive.

Sartori likes this.
  20. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I get such a tight punchy sound from my 2x15 JBL Fender cab. Been using it since I started playing. But, like you said, it's a lot to lug around. So, I always practice with a 4x10 Hartke. But when I want "THE" sound, I go for the 2 15's.

McG and Sartori like this.