Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played the acoustic bass from heaven today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8inbassist17, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Today,

I played a 5 string Tacoma Tunderchief Electric/Acoustic today at the Atlanta Bass Gallery,

I love it,
    that will have to be my next buy.

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Gotta love them Tacoma Tunderchiefs lol. JK though, glad you liked it. I need an acoustic bass in my arsenal so bad. Have you ever played a Micheal Kelly Dragonfly? If so how do they compare?

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I haven't played a Tacoma, so I can't provide a comparison. But I have a 5-string fretless MK with the dragonfly inlays and I can tell you it is worth every dollar I spent. It's not a high end acoustic bass by any means but it's perfectly functional, low maintainance, nice looking, and good sounding.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They're evil, aren't they? I bought the first Thundercheif I ever saw the day after I saw it and played it for the first time. I had to wait 6 months for a case.

5. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Respectfully, they don't. You're talking about a sub-$500 asian import with all laminate woods versus a USA made $1000+ instrument with solid top and back. Don't get me wrong I love inexpensive imports, one of them is proudly in my collection. But they're just not comparable.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I had to wait a few months to get the money (and wife's permission) to get mine, but it was totally worth it. After my Lakland, it's my second-favorite bass, and I play it very often, particularly while watching TV. Great tone, even down to the B string. You won't regret buying it. My only concern now is whether putting black nylon tapewounds on it would reduce the excellent rich tone I'm getting now. The stock bronze strings are almost a little too bright for my tastes, but I love the rich mid and bass response I'm getting unplugged.

I also played the MK basses, and none of them really did it for me like the Tacoma, though the Solid AB model (with Solid spruce top and mahogany back, as compared to the dragonfly's laminated top and bottom) was pretty nice.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Those things are amazing.

I own a five string with no electronics and Ive compared it to a few different Fender, Ibanez, Breedlove, Taylor, and Takamine models and only the Takamine comes close in tone and volume. I dont think Takamine does a 5 string version though.

Bartman: Try some Daddario XL Nickelwound strings on your bass. You may find you like them. Still lots of good punchy fat sound without the harsh squeeky top end of the bronze strings. A little lower tension too, so they may help if your bass has high action.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks!! I went and played it again, and I think the thing that is bothering me so much is finger noise on the strings. The Tacoma is so resonant that sliding the left (fretting) hand up and down the strings produces one heck of a lot of noise. The action on my Tacoma is nearly perfect as is -- nice and low.

That's why I'm thinking nylon tapewounds or TI Jazz flats might work, but I don't want to deaden the Tacoma's tone too much. Too bad one can't test out a variety of strings fairly easily.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Daddarios will eliminate most the fingernoise. Its the 45-130 5 string set that has slightly lower tension. You might want to try those and loosen your truss rod a bit if you see its not enough tension.

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try the tapewounds. They're wonderful on this instrument.

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mine came stock with D'Addarios. They're nice, I liked 'em.