1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Played the New MTD Zephyr 6 String!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blake Bass, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Jive Sound has a new fretted Zephyr 6 in the store. After playing almost every bass in the store. (Zon, Dingwall, MTD USA, Elrick, Lakland, Roscoe, etc.) I decided what the heck, I'll plug in the cheap bass and take it for a test drive. Well, I can tell you first hand that this bass is definitely awesome, and a definitely a bargain. It looks good for a bass in this price range, sounds great, and I would say it feels great too if you are used to a slightly chuncky 6 string neck(I'm not). But for just under $1200 this bass is untouchable. There are some great buys on import 5 strings by other builders, but I don't think any can touch this sixer at this price. Now I wish I could just get used to that "C" string.

2. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hey Blake,

Was the fretboard Rosewood or Maple? Was it one of the newer finishes? Tobacco Sunburst, or Cherry?

Thanks, Adam

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Cool,I know I'm loving my KZ5.I can't imagine a better bass for me,although I've never tried a 535.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is the neck profile different than a 635?

5. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    That's a good question. I'm not sure, but I do know they're both carved asymetrical (somewhat thinner on the lower part). The bodies are definitely carved differently as the bridge heel is ramped on the 4,5,6,735s... The Z's are not as ramped, but are rounded.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have played a 635 and wouldn't consider the neck to be chunky, that's the main reason I asked.

7. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    That makes sense. I have owned a 535, and now a Z5, and wouldn't consider the Z to be chunky either. Maybe they were thinking wide... ?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps. They are pretty wide. I can't imagine that Mike would want to have a different profile on there. If he thinks one profile works for the 635, why change it?

9. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    This bass had a maple fingerboard with the Tobacco burst finish. I also played a 535 and thought it felt great. I guess wide may be a better description for the neck on the 6 string. It is very comfortable but it just felt really big to me, since I'm not 6 string player. I'm sure it would be great if you are used to playing a 6.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Okay that may have been it. When you said chunky I took it as you meant it was wide front to back, which I dont recall as being the case.

:) thanks

11. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Exactly. I've played the Z6 and the neck IS wide (in fact very wide for me who doesn't play 6-string) but not chunky. Front to back is very comfortable on the Z6.

12. bbjonz

bbjonz Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Adam,

I know where that 535 is! You know, the neck on it feels fairly narrow to me in comparison to my 635. Go figure. Don't forget that the string spacing on the 535 is 19mm but is 18mm on the 6. Does anyone know the string spacing on the Z series basses? A fretless 6 sounds like fun.

Joe

13. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hey Joe,
    I do know that bass well! The Z spacing is exactly the same as the *35 series (4,5 & 6 string).

Cheers, and enjoy that 535 & 635!

14. bbjonz

bbjonz Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi Adam,

I honestly don't play the 535. I have the 635 out for when I feel the urge to pick up a bass, and if I need a 5 I go for the Tobias. I suspect the 535 will wind up on TB at some point.

Meanwhile, is that you with the Yamaha in that pic? Very cool!

Joe