Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I played with the world's best drummer today!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Aug 19, 2004.

1. EDIT: a picture is now attached for all to see. :D

[​IMG]

One of the music teachers at my school is a drummist; he's been playing since he was 15 (over forty years I think, he's 56 :eek: ), played in the Australian Royal Navy (one of the ships he was on crashed into the harbour in Wellington :D), did some big band stuff just as it was dying out, almost became the drummer for Dragon (April Sun In Cuba?) but didn't want to 'cos they're all pot-heads, etc.

We had the X-Campus Assembly today (there's three schools on the same lot, mine and two christian private schools). The drummer for the concert and rock bands is in New Zealand (NZ! :rollno: ) and we only knew about it today, so Patrick had to fill in for him.

He's just so tight - every drummer I'll play with will be compared to Pat. He was the first drummer I ever played with. He has all these great tricks up his sleeves, plays really tight, and works with the bassist (me :smug: ) really well. I play so much better with him on the kit, it's kinda amazing. I can only hope I can keep in contact with him after I leave high school. Put it this way - he drums like Buddy Rich. Listen to Pat, then listen to Buddy Rich, and you can't tell 'em apart.

Anyway... there's really no point to this thread. I just wanted to share it with my TB family, and rub your jealous noses in it. :D j/k

When I get photos of the assembly, i'll stick 'em up. I have some of Winter Concert, but they're kinda blurry (he may be a fantastic drummer, but he's a crap photographer :D)

EDIT: The Winter Concert photos are now up! :bassist:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Tonight, I'm going to play with a drummer that is better... trust me. He's the shiz-nite

3. best drummer in the world...... big call. sounds good though!

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I didn't realize that Lewis Nash was Australian.

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    What the hell is a drummist? Drummer or percussionist. Pick one.

Are you guys bassers?

It's cool though that you found a good drummer, however I sincerely doubt he is as good as Buddy Rich was.

6. Wow Lucky you
    Its good to have a good drummer not only as a good timekeeper but has solo chops in my musical journey ive had two good drummers that ive jammed with but both are missin one or the other ie my mate george is a massive soloists ala dennis chambers,carter beauford,dave weckyl but needs work on the time factor whereas my other mate mikey has great time but lack the solo chops man I wish they could fuse together man would that be cool
    So feel privelidge to jam with a monster anyway now that I know youre an aussie I have a good friend of mine his name is cannon headley he is a guitarists I was wondering if you know him he moved from here since 1997 (from new zealand and yes im a kiwi)

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    izzle to the drizzle...

8. Oh yeah? *puts Matt to the challenge* :D j/k

I take that with a pinch of salt. SMASH had it under his avatar for a while (I think it was smashy... :confused: ) and I liked it, so I use it now and again.

I have to disagree with you, man. Remember my drummer (my drummer? I mean music teacher :D) has had 40 years experience, so I wouldn't put it past him. To me, they're one and the same.

Oh, and Jace - name doesn't ring a bell.... sorry dude. Where'd he move to?

9. Yes you can

10. No you can't. :D

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to think my teachers were brilliant. I'm older and wiser now.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Xush had the drummist tag under his name, because he actually is a drummist.

13. Ah. Thanks for correcting me. Well, I have the mindset of a six year old, so words like "drummist" and "burninate" amuse me. :chuckles: :D

Yeah, well.... STOP SPOILING MY FUN! :spit:
    :D

14. Apples and oranges. If he is the best drummer in the world in your eyes... great for you. In reality though, you can't really say 'who's the best'. It all comes down to personal taste of who's the best. ;)

15. I know.

But... :D

In all seriousness, I know it's wrong to say "best drummer", but hey, people read my thread, no? :smug: He's not the best, but he's my favourite, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world.

Maybe if Pierce Brosnan played drums, then I'd talk to ya, but otherwise no. :D

16. Sweet.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My greatest drummer moved far away, last night we jammed and we were smokin'. Playing with a good drummer is so great, because it forces you to play better. :D

18. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    40 years of experience means nothing (in terms of comparing someone to Buddy. It's like saying that since I've played bass for 40 years, I'm better than Jaco, Wooten, Claypool...all of them). Buddy Rich was playing since he was 3.

www.drummerworld.com

There are a few Buddy Rich vids on there...if you're drummer is so good, how come he isn't on that list :eyebrow: ?
    Can he do all the stuff Buddy is doing? Nope, no one can.

Sorry it's just most every drummer I've met tend to agree that Buddy was the greatest drummer out there, so you saying that about your drummer is blasphamy.

:D

19. I know that. I wasn't saying that Patrick's better than Buddy - I wouldn't dream of it. Not even Pat would say that, and he's a drummer :smug:

There's really no answer to that. The way you said that was a bit stupid - there's a long list of good bass players somewhere, so how come you're not on there? :eyebrow: it's the same thing.

I said before that I never really intended that he was the world's best drummer. It may say that, but it's supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt (if that's the phrase :confused: )

I'm changing to title to avoid more of these posts. :bag:

I never meant to say he really is the world's best drummer... we had a good gig on Thursday when I posted it in the beginning, I was just a bit euphoric. :D

20. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    It was phrased badly on my part, yes I agree.

I never said I was any good at bass, or even decent, let alone "the world's best". :D

Sorry though...for some reason I still cannot comprehend, it is almost offensive to me when someone (especially a non-drummer) says that so and so is just as good as Buddy (which I see you corrected, and I'm sure this Pat does play good drums).

:cool: :bassist:
    I'll go have a nap so I'm not so cranky.