Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I pluck with # fingers!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mann, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Index finger only

3.8%
  2. Thumb only

2.5%
  3. 2 fingers

66.5%
  4. 3 fingers

29.7%
  5. 4 fingers

7.0%
  6. Pick

8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mann

mann

Jul 2, 2005
    Denmark
    Just wanted to make some statistics over various plucking-styles. I know it's quite superficial, but please vote :p

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I useullay use all 5, so I voted 4.

3. I'm mostly two fingers and thumb (although I do all of the above), so I voted two fingers (because the thumb isn't a finger).

4. I voted 3. I play well with 2, sloppy with 3, but still insist on using 3 whenever I play... Yes, i'm a dumbass.

5. I use two fingers for anything moderately complicated, or when I'm actually paying attention. However, I often look down and realize that I am just plucking with my index finger. It bothered me the first couple times, but I don't really care anymore. I'm fine as long as it sounds good.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not really much point in using more than 2. I do use my thumb a bit though.

7. I mainly use the first 3 fingers and my thumb, so I voted 3 fingers. In reality I'm usually only picking with 1 or 2 at a time, but I change those around from my index. middle, and ring fingers or use all 3 if I need to play a triplet pattern.

8. I mostly use 2. Sometimes my thumb.

9. 50% 2 (index/middle)
    50% pick

It depends on the style of the song, and sometime the speed of it. I can't get myself to use my ring finger or thumb well at all, but then again I've never really thought of an instance where it was necessary.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    100% 3fingers...

and for people who think it's useless should check out billy sheehan and play his stuff with 2...

11. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    2 most of the time. I've learned to use three when my 2 are going too fast.

12. It's definitely not useless. I'd use three fingers (RMI), but I've got a bit of a freakishly short ring finger on my right hand. It's just a bit longer than my pinky. :(

Fortunately, while I can't play as fast as Sheehan with two, I can do a respectable job of it :D

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I usually use just 2 fingers, but sometimes I use 3 fingers and even my thumb.

:)

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dam nuclear power plants...

:D

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    rock out with your cock out

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I used to play with this chick that would say before each set:

Aight' boys, rock out with your cock out, #### you if you ain't ####### me!

18. 2 and 3 finger technique (leaving out the thumb and little finger). I usually mix these two techniques depending on what I play. I do use my thumb at times but its too rare for me to vote 4 fingers.

19. I am a strict 3-finger player.

20. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    You are the man who killed my father. Prepare to die.