Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i pod question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by charles21o7, Oct 24, 2004.

1. im new to these things, and im prolly gonna buy one, so please tell me what you can about em, good and bad. I know they are made buy Mac so does that mean they only work on those apple mac computer things?!?!? Im not very knowledgeable about computer things so please keep it elementary . :D thanks a million.

2. From what I know, the way an Ipod works is like this

You purchase an Ipod, and it comes with a software program called Itunes. Itunes will run on windows as well as macs, so no need to worry.

With Itunes, you're able to load mp3s into your ipod, buy new songs in mp3 format, and play mp3s and cds on your computer. It's like a all-in-one media player.

I don't have an ipod of my own, but I imagine this is how it works. but there are loads of people here who do.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I got an iPod about 2 or 3 weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it!!!!! And, you're correct about it working on both the Mac and Windows-based machines.

I have a Dell and the iTunes program runs perfectly. You don't need a Mac to enjoy and operate the iPod.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Are you getting the full size or the mini?

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I recommend the full size.

I have a 10 gig iPod and I wish I bought a bigger one. Its not even that big physically, but storage wise they are great.

You can never have too much room. I have 11.5 gigs of music on my comp and that number is always growing. In addition to that Id like to use my iPod as a storage and transport device for other files like digital pictures but I cant anymore since I ran out of space.

Do a search and you'll find plenty on info on the topic. Its been done a few times.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They rock. Have had one for a couple of months now and coverted my entire CD collection to AAC format (better than MP3 on a quality/space ratio). Unfortunately all my CD's have compressed down to about 41gig and the iPod only has 40gb.

Definately agree that the bigger the better. There are rumours of a 60gb version coming out around xmas. But they could just be rumours.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've heard this too, from some pretty reliable sources, apparently apple is going to release a 60GB iPod that will feature a full color screen and video out. The idea will be that, you can store all your music AND all your digital photos, hook it up to a TV and create slideshows on the fly, with backing music from the iPod.

something along those lines atleast.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think Im going to ebay mine and get one of the 3G 40 gig iPods and wait a few years to upgrade to the current ones, but that 60gig is pretty sweet sounding.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW Apple have dropped off software upgrading the 3G models. It may be worth getting a 4G.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well my current 3G works fine with the current software so I might give it a chance. Also the used prices of the 10 and 40 gig 3G ipods are pretty close on eBay so I wouldnt lose much.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    iRiver currently has 20 and 40 gig players that have color screens that can display jpeg or bmp images. Also has an FM tuner; real-time mp3 encoding; supports MP3, WMA, ASF and OGG and if it's like the other 20 and 40 gig iriver players it has optical ins and outs. I want one.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/H340.aspx

brad cook

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I've seen a few in the flesh and thier design leaves a lot to be desired. That said, their functionality (albeit a little bugged by reports) blows Apple's out of the water. However I was turned off iRiver by their apparently appaling customer service and updates policy.

You can read about it at www.iriver.com/community

I think if you want bells and wistles, iRiver is the go (and you are a bit of a tech head), but for ease of use if you just want to play music effortlessly, I would stick with iPod.

Besides they look cooler :D

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out the iPod forums on the net. There's so much extra that people outside of Apple are doing for it. Thats one case where you should buy just because its popular!

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Touche.

brad cook

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    FWIW the 40gb and 60gb Colour Ipods called "iPod Photo" were released today.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Cool!

In other news, last night I saw "The Firebird Band" which like "Braid" is made up of members of "Hey Mercedes".

The band was two keyboard/synth players and a bassist plus some pre-recorded tracks like you would have played from a drum machine or sequencer.

Here's the twist:

They had the pre-recorded tracks on an iPod instead of the usual devices. It was pretty cool seeing them hit play on the iPod and then kicking in withthe rest of the stuff.

Just thought Id let you all know what else its being used for.

17. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i was going to start a new thread, but this will do.

what ipod should i get?
    i did a big photoshoot on the weekend so i have £250 at my disposal. it's my birthday on sunday, so i should have about £350 to spend on an ipod.

i have about 200 CDs and 3000 mp3s.

discuss.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You'll need at least a 15 gig iPod, but a 20 or higher is better so you'll have more room for your collection if it grows or if you want to carry other files on it.

Other than size it just depends on what extra features you might want and if you want to buy used or new.

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From what I'm told by customer service at Apple, the 20 gig iPod can hold up to 400 CDs worth of material, (approximately 1 hour in length for each CD) if downloaded at 128Kbs.

What I don't know is how much compression of a song is required to download at 128Kbs. Anybody else know?

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    thanks guys!

i'll go for a 20gb one at the very least.

if i don't blow it all on my pre-birthday celebrations tonight :p