1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I prefer medium weight and size amp heads.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thudfromafar, Apr 19, 2010.

1. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Maybe it's just me but I don't care much for the lightweight/tinysize trend. But, I also don't want to haul around a 50lb tube head.

My GB shuttle is easier to steal and will fall over and break more easily. Or maybe that's just me being paranoid. My GK 700RBII was about the perfect size and weight for me.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Do the people who love the tiny amps, also like really skinny women? :p

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Maybe MB and Genz need to come out with a monster head case for their mini heads to make them look like real amps. :meh:

3. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I agree. My shuttle is too light and jumpy on top of the cabinet. When I plug in my bass I have to hold on to the head. I like the solid feel of my GK 1001RBII.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there are times i'm very grateful i have a small head and cab, then there are times i want my svt/810 or b-15 stack and don't mind moving it at all.

5. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah I actually really like my shuttle combo, the tiny head works in that situation. But on top of a big cab for relatively loud music, the shuttle just seems out of place to me. Not so much soundwise at least :p

6. It all depends on what your interpretation of "tiny" is. And personally, I don't care for real skinny women, tho my wife is a thin built gal.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm going to wager money that if you had a drop off where you dropped a 700 rb II from cab height and then drop a shuttle 6.0 from cab height, the Shuttle will live a heck of a lot more often :)

Extra weight means more impact.

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Velcro is your friend............

For me... at this stage in the game... everything starts with my back and my knees.. If my back & my knees are happy... I can make whatever adjustments are needed.. and if they aren't then everything else is moot..... and no.. I don't like skinny women.. but I really dig my 6.0... From here on out for me it is either MkB or GB.. or some other lightweight head... I sold my SWR WP400 because it was just too big... and I am very pleased with my shuttle up to now. No complaints whatsoever.. I am even thinkign fo gong with a 9.0 but I want to wait to see how the 6.0 does under pressure...

9. I too enjoy heavier amps. I have a 45 lb or so head, the RENOWNED AND ASTOUNDING CARVIN PRO BASS 500. It was cheap. At least I never have to worry about it falling off if it's 3/4 stack.

10. I like tiny amps and I like all kinds of women!! :ninja::D:ninja:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i don't know about you, rp, but when i buy an amp, dropping it is probably the farthest thing from my mind. can't say i've never done it, though ;)

12. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I like 'em skinny
    I like 'em fat
    I like 'em curvy
    I like 'em flat

It's good women haven't changed but I love the fact that amps have gotten smaller.

But they do look weird on top of big cabs. So, rack 'em.