Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I prefere 6 string bolt-on Warwicks.who agree with me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I've recently played a Streamer LX 6 strings,bolt-on,with two big-MEC soapbars:Very NIce!!!
    It's not the first time I find myself prefering this kind of Wrawicks over the more expensive NT ones.
    I find them,warmer, deeper,bigger sounding,and not only so woody as the N-trough models.
    Who agree with me?

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Usually I would never prefer a bolt-on over an NT model bass, but you might be on to something there, to come to think of it I've always liked the tone in the bolt-on model Warwicks better, the NT's are too "perfect" if you catch my drift:D

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i sure like mine!!!

(but i like my ss2 a smidge more :) )

4. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    I bought my bolt-on Thumb over the neck-thru...maybe it was just my wallet talking, but I felt the BO had more punch. Hell yes, the NT sounded great and I dug the sustain and neck-heel, but it didn't sound $1500 or whatever better than the Bolt.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    When I had a chance to A/B two different Thumb 5ers (BO vs. NT), I found that I prefered the overall sound of the BO better. I liked the feel of the NT for some reason, but that is about it. I don't know about the newer ovangkol-necked Bolts, though, as the one I was playing was an older wenge-necked model (98 I believe).

The only thing that has kept me from buying a Thumb is that damn tiny body. I just can't get used to that.:(

6. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I've tryed that Streamer LX 6 once again yesterday....they want 1600 Euros.If they would trade my Laurus fretless for it,I could buy it;and then defret my Tobias Classic 5.But I'm not optimist:Laurus is such a great bass,but its commercial value is usually very low.That's the problem when you buy custom basses.:(

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    take a look here:

http://www.morenomeroni.com/asp/catalogohtml.html

they have this one

WARWICK STREAMER 6 BOLT-ON 990 BAS USD

it's fretted but you can make it fretless. it's equipped with 2 EMG soapbars. i played the bass and it's really really good. but i am a 4 string bass player.

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hey Barroso,thank you!
    How much is it?Is it a 1990 model?Is it in good conditions?

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I agree that you like 6 string bolt-on warwicks! ;-)

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    990 is the price in Euro. about the year, i have seen and played that bass but i don't remember. the bass is for sure in good condition.

11. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

.....990 Euros,seem an intersting price!I could sell Laurus by myself for a similar price.And then add something to defret my tobias.Where is this shop located???Is it natural finished?I've never seen a bolt-on warwick with EMGs on...

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  13. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thankm you Marco,I'll let you know if something is going to hapen!;)

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    keep in mind that if you need logistic help i am here and can bring you to the shop.

if you want to sell the laurus, try to the same shop. the man is really open to change intruemnts. i think that your laurus can be sold at more than 990€. you have to start posting about it.

take a look at this italian forum. it's a bunch of guys who love the laurus and someone was speaking about buying a new fretless laurus.

http://www.mad.it/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

take a look at these ads. they sell used laurus for much more what you think!

ID: 8445 DATA: 13/09/2002 FLAG: vendo MARCAMOD: Laurus Quasar SL 20 HT Fretless STRUMENTO: basso
    ANNUNCIO: Splendido suono, strumento di liuteria in ottime condizioni
    EMAIL: alberto_cipolloni@yahoo.it NOME: Alberto TELEFONO: 3382444232 PREZZO: 1350 Euro CAP: 67051

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ID: 7593 DATA: 11/07/2002 FLAG: vendo MARCAMOD: LAURUS QUASAR SL 6 CORDE STRUMENTO: basso
    ANNUNCIO: Corpo in mogano di Kaya, manico lamellare in sette sezioni di acero canadese e amaranto, neck through, tastiera in resina fenolica, elettronica e p. u. Bartolini ,meccaniche in ottone. Completo di custodia morbida originale. prodotto nel '95. Perfetto, vendo per cessione attività.
    EMAIL: dino_rubini@yahoo.com NOME: Dino TELEFONO: PREZZO: 2000,00 trattabili CAP: 37137

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here in the north italy they are well known. and there is always some ready to buy them, maybe not the same in Florence.

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi Marco,
    the big problem is that my 1993 laurus isn't in very good conditions;I mean: 2 o 3 anni fa mi cascòò in avanti mentre suonavo,per via di una cinghia mal ridotta.
    Le conseguenze sono state brutte:c'è stata una spaccatura tra la spalla destra e la sezione centrale del corpo.:(
    PierLuigi Cazzola,ha rimediato brillantemente con l'inserimento di una spina di legno nel punto di rottura.Ora,devo dire che il basso non ha minimamente risentito nè a livello timbrico,nè a livello di funzionalità, di tale incidente....ma capirai che non posso pretendere di venderlo a prezzo pieno...esteticamente si vede questa maledetta spaccatura!:( :(

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hey how about a pic of your Laurus??

17. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    This an old pic,everything is gone here but Tobias,and laurus.
    The problem is that the crack on the Laurus,is not so evident to be seen by such a pic.I would need to have another pic.

18. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Does the link work???

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I agree.

You prefer 6 string bolt-on Warwicks.

You said it yourself.:D :p

20. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This Laurus sure is Funky, how much do you want for it??