Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I produce horrible noises with my bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But that's beside the point.

For some reason when I set my Dean Edge w/active pickups to a more "low endy" setting, it seems to have a high resonating metallic noise. It's not my technique because I sound OK on different basses. Attached is a clip (hopefully) of me slamming on my bass like an idiot to show you what I mean.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's kinda hard to make out in such a short clip, but just loop it, you'll eventually lose your mind.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Man goes to see doctor - he says "Doctor it really hurts if I do this with my arm!!

Doctor says - "well.... don't do that then!" ;)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah... well...

The noise is clearer when I slap (you can hear it fingerstyle too). I tried to "play" something that would make the noise most aparent. Quite strange because when I set my bass more "high end friendly" the noise goes away. And as you know from my previous thread, I'm trying to get into reggae/dub...

5. Same here… :meh:

- Wil

6. Matt... You don't understand... but I NEED THIS LOOP. I need it. I need it to produce a horrible noise track which no one will listen to. No melody. Just noise.

7. It was actually quite catchy :hyper:

Iono... just kinda wierd :p

8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I think it made me crazy.

get out of my teeth!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Aparently we produce the same genre of music. I like to call it EXPLOSIONCORE!

If you need it, it's yours. Just make sure that I get credit/hydrox cookies.

Sorry to all the people I made insane (give me six seconds, I'll take your brain). OOoooOoh, that was a good lyric. PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING.

Aparently it made me crazy too. But anyway, anyone know why I'm getting that high end noise?

10. Oh, and matt, I think it's some kind of stray harmonic in there.

11. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know that's not the problem, I was playing that in a totally inharmonic area. That is to say, I can't get a harmonic there if I try. Also, it makes that noise when I'm playing fretted notes.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I just downloaded your song, it's pretty cool. How do you get your guitar to sound like that? That's craaaaAaaaaZy.

Oops, I just read the song notes. Black and Decker, I thought I heard a drill. :p

Glad to see another avante garde TBer. Though I noticed I'm becoming more techno/answering machine core. Damn I need to put out my album.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mind if I use this as a sample as well? I think it would sound pretty cool stretched, reversed, with a ring mod on it and a judicious use of compresssion. :confused:

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you are serious.... sure....

Jeez, if I knew people would sample my basslines, I'd play something decent/not junky.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. Put out an album of music and give it to me.

OMG U RaWK, Im tutally uR bhGezt fn! :bassist:

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey, freaky, the more I listen to your stuff, the more I like. Very awesome. I feel a lot of your songs would work better with some singing. Some of it borders on catchy in an abstract sort of way. I hear a heavy heavy Sonic Youth influence on all of the songs. Very good stuff though. I've only listened to Explosion Core, The Aeroplane Flies underground and Stars in the Sky (is that the title? I'm sorry I dont' have the page up) Damn 56k connection. Awesome possum!

18. hehe. Thanks. Actually, right now I'm using more noize and alt. tunings, (and it's causing me alot of string changes in the process!). But I'm trying to balance the noize with great songwriting. Alot of my earlier stuff is influence by Smashing Pumpkins. "Aeroplane" was inspired by a bootleg I was listening to, in which they jam on XYU for a while. I took the riff and brought it into half-step down tuning, and took the title from another SP bootleg I own. Right now I'm just trying to balance the two and find my voice.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hear you on the voice thing. I'm starting to figure out what I sound like singing. I'm working on re-doing "Jerkin' Back and Forth" by Devo. I made it a... mmm stoner rock kinda thing. It's kinda cool. I recorded vocals for it and deleted them. It's hard for me to think of myself as a singer. Maybe I'll give it another shot pretty soon.

Edit: I reread your post, and now I'm not sure if you were talking about vocal voice... :bag: :p

Heh, in regards to that, don't pigeonhole yourself. That's the main thing I think I take from Faith No More. They were no genre. Make an alt. rock tunes, but don't WWBCD (What would billy corgan do).