I read EVERY Envelope Filter thread I could find, but...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Keef, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    ... but I still have some questions! The more TB threads I read on the topic, the more confused I become (and I've read every one I could find, been researching this for about a month). So let me begin by apologizing for yet another Envelope Filter thread – I know people are sick to death of them!

What I'm looking for:
    • A nice 70s, analog, wet, Bootsy-ish effect
    • No severe volume boosts or drops when the unit is activated
    • Something that doesn't suck out all the bass frequencies and cuts through in a live setting.
    I have no need or desire for built-in phasers, out of this world moog/synth effects, distortion/overdrive, octave effects, etc – I just want a good, wet, greasy, envelope filter. Ideally, I'd like to keep my investment somewhere below the $200 range.

I know this kind of thing is SUPER subjective - this task would be SO much easier if all manufacturers were actually wise enough to provide sound samples that are played on a BASS!!!

I know everyone has their favorites but if folks could recommend a unit based on the above criteria, I'd be most grateful!

Many thanks in advance (and sorry for another envelope filter thread)!

Dazed and confused,

~ Keef

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    What did you tried so far ?
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Basically Moog or Mutron (Original not Reissue)

The Pigtronix is also amazing but the phaser section is wasted if you are not going to use it, but it's up there as one of the best filters (Personally I found the volume a bit hard to control)

Hope this helps
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

These are pretty standard needs. A Q-Tron will do the job fine.
  5. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I found my qtron boosted the volume considerably....
    even with the setting on normal not boost...

perhaps emma discombobulator or moogerfooger??
  6. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    DIY, guys, DIY...

A volume boost is really easy to fix. A simple resistor, or better, a volume pot, is really simple to add. A driller, a soldering iron, 1h of your time (if you're a beginner, else, 10 min are enough), and it's done.
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah but most people prefer to buy a pedal that meets there requirements without any mods, I know I do
  8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    Yep. But...

You dig a pedal, in every point, except the volume boost. As it's a really simple mod, why bother to search for another pedal, exactly the same, but whitout the boost ? You'll spend a lot of time searching for something you allready have, and maybe you simply won't find it.

Those who make the pedals don't have you're taste. They won't give you exactly what you're searching. There will allways be a little thing that you miss.

It's the same for a bass, imagine you love a bass, except for the buttons, which are black and you love the gold ones. Would you refuse this bass for this ? No, you'll buy it and change the buttons, won't you ?

Yes, I know, changing buttons is easier than soldering a volume pot. But believe me, it's not so easier. It's just something to learn to do.

So what I say here is not that you should all learn how to built your own effects, no. But for a volume pot, it's so simple...
  9. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Not many people like voiding their warranties 10 minutes after buying an effect. An effect isn't very well made if it has difficulties controlling volume on a standard bass.

10. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks for the responses, folks!

I'm thinking of buying the Q-Tron (not the "Mini" or the "+"), since that one seems to be widely respected here, and seems to be a "classic". As to which ones I've tried – very few, as the GC nearby didn't have much of a selection. I've never tried the Q-Tron, either!

I tried a DOD FX-25b, which, in my opinion, confirmed the criticisms that I've read on TalkBass. I also tried a DigiTech XSW Synth Wah, which I thought sounded too synthetic.

I'd LOVE to try them all (pigtronix (sp?), emma, etc) but that seems unlikely.

~ K
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

12. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Bootsy = Mutron

nuff said
  13. THCbass

Sep 19, 2003
    Very happy with my HUGE ''mini- Qtron'' !..and easier to dial then my FT-2.
  14. I think that MXR M-188 clip sounds good.

Has anyone tried the MXR M-120?

Unlike the M-188, the M-120 has a three position range switch (lo - mid - hi). I am wondering if putting that switch in the "lo" position makes it sound and act just like the M-188.

~ Charlie
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm diggin' my EMMA discumBOBulator. Baaww-da-baaww-da-bwop-bwop!
  17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Try the EBS BassIQ. You can get sweet analog envelope tones with no tone suckage or volume spike/loss. I sold my Mini-Q and bought a BassIQ and I swear by the thing.
  18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've tried a few of these. and actually own 4 bits of gear that include a filter :(

I have a Zoom multi FX (not as bad as a lot of people make out, considering the price, although it is a bit noisy - I only use it for rehearsals, it's easier than carrying my board), a Behringer V-Amp Pro (some effects on this are okay, but not the autowahs), a Digitech BSW (I only use this as an octaver, don't really like the envelope filter) and.... wait for it... an MXR Bass Auto Q M-188. This is the one I really love, it does that classic wet and greasy booty shaking funk thang that you're after really well for me. But an envelope filter responds to your playing style more than just about any other effect, so it's a pretty personal choice. Try before you buy! I wasn't able to do this, but I dropped really lucky with the MXR, suits me perfectly :D
  19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned many filters over the years.

I currently own a Mutron III (original), MXR M-188 and EBS BassIQ. The Maxon is another great pedal, although the volume jumps are annoying.
    The M-188 holds it's own very well indeed, and is hard to beat for the price.
  20. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Of the three I've owned -- the DOD FX25B, Q-Tron+, and EBS BassIQ -- I really liked the Q+ and the IQ. Both are fantastic pedals with a good variety of funk tones.