1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I realised earlier...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    That the main reason for considering switching to flats is because I want to reduce fret wear. Which is probably no reason to completely change the type of strings I use.

I very much like the tone that my Elixirs provide me, so I decided to carry on using them.

That's all, really.

:)

2. You could play around with half-rounds. I know people who've had good things to say about them. I personally use flats but some half-rounds can get you a nice roundwound tone too.

--Silvie

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    If you ever decide you wanna reduce fretwear but continue having some roundwound zing go with GHS Pressure wounds.

I use them in addition to rounds. :)

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I like the tone of Chromes flats, but they don't give me the same punch that I really love.

I'm interested to hear more about half rounds and pressure wounds though - any sound clips you can direct me to?

5. Yeah, here's a video (if entirely a plug for the company) about some D'Addario Half Rounds that may help:

There's probably better examples out there, this was what came to my mind first :meh:

--Silvie

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I think D'Addario is a great company, but I'm not a big fan of the "half-wound" series. They just feel funny to me and don't cut it.

I was turned on to GHS pressure wounds and these are very punchy!

7. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I've never "fretted" :rollno: about wear on my basses. Never given a second thought to fret wear when choosing strings. They're my instruments, I need them to sound the way that I want, and the wear is all part of it in my mind. That may be easy for me to say since I only have medium-price range basses - 1980 G&L L-1000 & Jack Casady Epiphone - but I don't believe I'd enjoy a bass if I was too afraid to use it the way I need.
    As for strings, I have the G&L strung flat, Epiphone strung round. The flats are my preference on about 70% of our songs, but I love having the roundwound bass to switch to for a total change-up in sound, especially since we're 3-piece.

8. Me personally? I absolutely have hate for the tone flats produce, FOR MY STYLE OF PLAY, that is. I've had flats on a bass one time, when my parents purchased my very first bass (Late 60's P-Bass), when I was 12yrs old. Once I found out that you're actually supposed to change strings, I did. That is unless a player is trying to cop that Jamerson-type of tone/vibe.
    The tone those strings produce just don't suit my style of playing. Now, they sound fantastic with other players. But, not me, for sure.
    My favorites are steels. If I could get more grind out of rusted barb wire, you could bet your sweet ass I'd have 'em on my basses.

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    You've done the right thing. Carry on.

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow, I really like the sound of those. Would they be suitable for through body stringing, or not long enough?

11. Not entirely sure, looking at my currently installed Chromes leads me to believe no, but maybe you could try a super-long scale set.

--Silvie