Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I realized that I didn't own a Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've been playing bass for about seven years now, and I always seemed to own a Fender. I began thinking that since I sold my Classic '60s Jazz several months ago, I've been Fenderless!

So...

...I bought a Classic '50s P-Bass!

I went to a local music store looking for a Fender P-Bass. I played every model in the store, from Standard MIMs to American Deluxes. For me the Classic '50s beat them all! Not too heavy, wide but comfy neck, and that classic (no pun intended) P-Bass tone! The Fender specs aren't very specific about what pickup is in the bass "1 Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup", but it sounds great with the stock pickup.

However, the store I was shopping in only had a Honey-Blonde in stock, and I really wanted Black, and they "weren't sure" how long it would take to get a Black one. So, I took advantage of Guitar Trader's 30th Anniversary Fender Sale, and my Black Classic '50s P-Bass arrived today, and it's plays and sounds just as good as the one I auditioned.

This bass will be a backup for my Bongo, but it's getting all of the gig-time this weekend!

2. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    Hating you right about...... now!

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Nice score, congrats!

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Nice find. I've been looking for something like that for myself actually...

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Black with gold guard? GORGEOUS!

6. That's the exact bass I want now. I have to stop buying Jazzes.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very sexy. I want another P now.

8. that colour combo was the same as my first bass - a franken fender. Have since changed the body and pick-ups and now I no longer like it and it has remained unplayed for ages. But you got me gassing for a real black P with a white guard.

that is after I get Nino to build me a bass, by a new cab, get a sadowsky, etc, etc, etc, :crying:

9. Love the maple board.

On a whole... Gorgeous!

10. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    nice bass. I've always loved the thin wide neck on the 57RI's. Is the neck on the Classic 50s P bass the same shape?

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words! :)

The neck shapes are very close to one another. I played a White Blonde 57RI and the neck may have been a little thinner/flatter.
    I actually thought the 57RI was nicer than the Classic '50s, but the Classic '50's was close to the 57RI and half the price!

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I enjoy my 2002 MIA P-Bass. Welcome home!

13. wow. that's nice. congrats.

14. I recently sold a Tokai on ebay that looked exactly like that.