1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I really don't know what to get...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oversoul, Oct 28, 2006.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Some of you may know that I sold a custom 9 string a while back, size to blame, but mostly because the sound coming to my ears wasn't really my thing, it was my first custom experience.

Thank God, the paypal suckers released my money from the sale of the bass, but it's just sitting in my account, waiting for a decision.

I got 3000€ to spend on a custom instrument If I want to, i'd like an instrument with a bright,snappy, articulated sound, think Miller, but not in a Fender shape (for those of you with sadowsky as an immediate suggestion)

I found that sound in the Ritter I tried, but alas, Ritter is not taking orders, plus he's crazy expensive.

I'm thinking of going Jerzy Drozd, another AMAZING luthier, yet I'm not sure of what formula to get on my bass.

If you wanted the sound I'm trying to descrive on the shape of a bass ranging from 5-7 strings, what would you suggest?

One thing is sure: maple scale, good old maple, god I hated the feel of the bubinga board.

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    How far are you from Madrid? There is a store that is a dealer of Ristola basses and they have a 6 string in stock. I love my Ristola four string, and am ordering a custom fretless from him. I wouldn't describe the sound as bright and snappy, but his basses have a great tone. I could be wrong, but Almada is right on the Atlantic? Not sure if it's close or not, but here's a link http://www.todobajos.com/Stock/Bajos/Nuevos/Descripcion/Ristola4 Exotic6.htm

3. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

hey that bass is pretty good looking, thx for the pointer, I'd definitly get something like this.
    My girlfriend actually goes regularly to Madrid, I just might have to go with her on the next trip and check that place :)

and yeah your dead on, Almada has a large portion of atlantic beaches, you know your geography :smug:

4. Lokire

Lokire Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Seattle, Washington
    Well, I don't think you could go wrong with Stambaugh ;)

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    jerzy is the fantasticast builder i know. his basses are art.

since you live so near it'll be even cheaper for you (as opposed to shipping a bass halfway around the world)

i think a 36 fret design will stack the pickups near the bridge and get you the snappy sound you want. you'll also be able to get all that range without going to 6, so ill recommend a 5.

slapping might be a problem tho, and if youre really worried, then a 28 fret / 5 string jerzy would be my recommendation.

my 1 cent's worth.

6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

yeah I've seen preety nice things from him too, wish I could try one tough:meh:

ehque- hmm 28 frets with the close together pups, you got me thinking.:D

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Clear your PM box.

8. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

oh cr*p! I forgot I lost the extra pm storage. Will do.

9. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I was just on the todobajos site, and I noticed a big 'vendido' over that Ristola. I thought I'd check in with this thread and see if you had a chance to play it. I was looking for some more input on his 5 and 6 strings.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ok............now THAT'S a bass I could live happily with!!!!! I've gotta talk to Brian. :bag:

[​IMG]

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh......and I hope to play a new 6er from Brian very soon...he's making one for a famous studio bass player. Should be very cool.

12. I couldn't be happier with my Bee.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Truthfully, if you know what kind of sound you're looking for than any compentant builder and make you the right bass. Just look for someone who's design you like and call them. If you feel comfortable with what they have to say than go for it. You just need to know what you want first and foremost...otherwise keep playing until you do.

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    BENAVENTE

Or

Conklin

Can't go wrong man.

15. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I've been talking to the local JD & Sadowsky guru, Nuno Vilar, and my mind is pretty much settled on a Jerzy drozd.

I still considered waiting for Ritter to open build slots, but darn things are just too expensive IMO, even tough they sound bad*ss.

The bass will a JD Basic 6er with some cool mods, stay tuned :)

unfortunately I didn't tried that Ristola, and don't plan to go to Madrid that soon. Barcelona (and JD's workshop) OTOH, is scheduled still for this year :D

16. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Yeah, those Jerzy Drozd basses are stunning. Absolutely. I haven't played one, but I can appreciate the attention to every detail. If you want to hear one in action, I beleive Charles Benavent plays one on Chick Corea's "The Utimate Adventure." I could be wrong, but it might be worth looking into, since there aren't many recorded examples of Jerzy's work.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The one that Charles Benavent plays is not a usual example of Jerzy's work. That one's a semi hollow bass with a spanish cedar back. Amazing bass but not one of his usual suspects.

18. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    oh I've heard them in action... :D

ritterluis005.jpg

19. I'm pretty familiar with Jerzy's basses and he's currently building my custom 6 string Mastery(which will also have some cool mods!). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

:)

20. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm anxious for pics of that bass Carver, that top is going to fry people's brains!!!

In the meantime, to hel me define my specs, I asked our very own Beav2k2 to make me a render of the bass with minor cosmetic differences. Keep in mind that it will be a basic (no top) but in my mind I'm going for a Basic elite ;)