Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I really don't understand... - Question about used bass sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, May 11, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello there! I have a question for you all: do you know the Warwick Streamer Stage II?? I'm trying to sell mine (an early one) but I don't receive offers 'cause a lot of people don't know this model... WHY?? I don't wanna look like a mothafXXXer, I REALLY don't understand!
    I hope you'll get me straight. I don't wanna spam. All I want is an explanation!:confused: :confused: :eek:

2. I think most people who know Warwicks are familiar with the Streamer Stage II, though the fact the Warwick now makes so many different models with "Streamer" in the name could certainly confusing!

On the other hand, I can think of some other possible reasons why you might not be getting many offers:

1) You clearly feel the bass is worth a lot of money, but did not give an "asking price" in any of your early ads. People might be hesitant to make an offer if they have no idea how much you're looking for (but they know it's a lot).

2) When you put it up for auction, the BIN prices--first almost $2300, and now $2000, seem somewhat out of line with the current selling prices on SSII's. I had a hard time getting $1000 for the white one I sold a while back, and almost all the others I've seen for sale recently have been in the $1200-$1600 range. Admittedly, the pre-'91 Warwicks might justify a higher price, but yours is a LOT higher.

3) You're in Italy, and buyers in the States are naturally going to be hesitant to send large amounts of money overseas for a bass they've never seen, not to mention the cost of shipping. You do have a large number of positive feedbacks on E-bay, but they're almost all for fairly inexpensive items like action figures.

4) Lots of the people who are looking for SSII's these days want to get 5's. (At least, that's what I heard from shoppers when I was trying to sell mine...)

5) In your auction you make a big point in distiguishing between the SSII and the cheaper SSI, but the two players you mention in the auction--Stuart Zender and Sam Rivers ("the Limp Bizkit bassist") are primarily known as SSI players.

All or none of these might be the real reason you're not getting many offers--they're just ideas. It's a beautiful bass, and I wish you good luck in selling it--the Dolphin and the SSII are my favorites of the Warwick models by a long shot.

Mike

3. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello... thanx for your reply.
    I must admit that your reasons could be the right ones, but I've already sold (thru eBay and not) some early Warwick Thumb bass, and I've sold it for about $1,500.00-$1,800.00. They were all in mint conditions and all original (of course!).
    I'm 100% sure that Sam Rivers use the Stage II, and I've seen a lot of pics with Zender with the same bass or the Spector version... but they have lots of basses, I guess they have both! ;)
    I don't think that shipping fees are high... and I can definitely say that the pre-91 Stage II are pretty rare... I've never seen one before! I'm actually a Warwick devotee... I also have a lot of Thumb basses (4,5,6 strings) but I'm getting rid of them 'cause I need a new stack and I usually don't use more than a bass. I also have some left-hand problem, and I'm not able to play multi-strings basses without getting hurt! :(
    I can also find almost every replacement part for these old axes. I love them, and I respect them.
    Remember that the solid-varnished Warwick often hide wood defects... in Warwick they have a floor FULL of strange colors Thumbs and Nobby Meidel basses... no one want them! Varnished Warwicks are worth a lot less. The Stage II is the third pre-91 Warwick bass I sell on eBay, but older feedbacks are no more available...

4. I admit, I don't know when the Streamer Stage II became a separate model--'88 or so? The earlier Streamers that I know of all had wenge necks with no "covering" on the front, cherry or maple sides, dot inlays, Schaller roller bridges, and EMG P/J pickups. Yours is probably one of the earlier ones I've seen that actually have the current SSII features. But I've seen those older Streamers selling for $1500 and under, alas. You may need to wait a while to find a buyer for yours at $2000, even if it's worth that much.

Mike

PS: I don't follow LB at all, but the only Warwick I ever remember seeing Sam Rivers with is a transparent black Stage I 5 with red LEDs.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Dreadhead : as far as I know, P-Nut of 311 plays a SSII (in 5-string).

About the lack of success of your sale, please note that Warwicks are FAR more expensive in the USA than in Europe. If you try to sell it to America, your price will probably be too high for European buyers. And finding an American buyer when you're European is not that easy, IMO...

Hope this helps,

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the main problem is with your price IMO...

if you watch bassgear.com, you'll see that the SSII's of any year go quick when they're priced under 1600. my SSII was up for 2 days before i snagged it. most of them posted there go for that amount.

the ones that last a long time are the ones that start around 2k, and each week the guy drops the price 100 bucks or something until it's around 1600, then it gets snatched.

7. I saw that you did put it up on Bassgar for $1600. I know it's painful to wind up asking less for a bass than you think it's worth! It really is a beautiful instrument though, and I hope you can get it sold. Heck, I wish I could buy it, but the list of basses I wish I could buy is pretty long. :)

Mike

8. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, now the price is more than fair... and I've already sold a pair of Thumb basses in USA!
    Keep me informed about the deal you already know!;)

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You also have to remember that there is a Resession in the USA. I have a few things that I wanna sell that I thought would DEFINITLY sell & I'm sitting on it. :( Also I bid on some gear that I was SURE I'd get out-bid on because I bid SOOOO low & I ended up winning the auction.

Ampeg V4B new-$900ish, Won bid $400
    Fender MIM DLX 5 string new-$600, Won bid $315

People aren't really buying, exceot for me. LOL

10. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I've just sold a Thumb bass for $1,500.00... I'm not sure that you're 100% right! ;)
    Well, I'll wait for the right buyer...

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

Man nino... save some good deals for us man... ;)

I do believe your asking price of $2000 is a bit high... just my opinion of course... something about that 2000 number.. maybe if you take it to 1900 you would have better luck.... maybe...

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, I've already lowered the price to an ultra-fair $1,600.00!!!:confused:

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I know alot of people that are working in NYC that are/have been laid off. I know most of them are selling their houses & moving back in w/parents. This is just my opinion, but if you can afford to, hold on the the bass. If you say the bass is worth $2000 or so, why low ball yourself to $1600? I'm not too familiar w/Warwick line or their re sale value. You recently sold a Thumb for $1500, is that good?

Alot of times, when a company floods the market w/basses it tends to cheapen the the better Higher quality basses. I know people here & in stores that when thay hear the Spector name, I hear, "Those are made in Korea, rite?" or "Ah, thoise are cheap basses" or somehting to that effect. Maybe the new cheaper models that Warwick came out w/has effected your sale.